Predator Decoys...use them or not? Best ones?

redhaven

I'm still a little bit green at the predator calling thing. Have done it on occasion for the last 10 years or so, but never seriously. With the explosion of coyotes in our area here in MO, I am beginning to think I'm missing out one some fun.

One thing I'm not sure about is using a decoy. Do the little "spinners" work well? Which one is most reliable? I don't want to pack more gear in than I have to, but if it helps it will be worth it.

the mojo critter and foxjack decoys from FoxPro have served me very well. That being said, based on my personal experience as well as researching the thoughts of other's I've boiled it down to this-
pro decoy- keeps animals' eyes off of the hunter
con decoy- can cause them to either hang up or be a hard charger
my .02

Originally Posted By: jf1073the mojo critter and foxjack decoys from FoxPro have served me very well. That being said, based on my personal experience as well as researching the thoughts of other's I've boiled it down to this-
pro decoy- keeps animals' eyes off of the hunter
con decoy- can cause them to either hang up or be a hard charger
my .02

thumbup1.gif

A turkey feather on a stick with fishing line works fine. No need to spend a bunch of money. My opinion is it is very useful with a handcall to get their eyes off you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiSo far, this girl is my best decoy.

My computer won't load the images from this site for some reason...

I do use a decoy (FoxJack or MOJO) in the daylight.
I used the FoxJack the other night and maybe it cost me a fox, I will never know for sure but here is the story, you be the judge.
3/4 moon so I had the idea to add the decoy to my call. My theory was that maybe it would be an extra attractant.
The problem was that the field that I set up in was very overgrown with only a narrow lane, about 25' wide and about 100 yds long right next to the wood line that was fairly open. IF the fox had of come from from straight away I might have been alright, but it came in out of the wood line about 25 yds from me. It charged the call so fast, and actually attacked the call, that I could not get on it fast enough to get a shot before it jumped off of the call and ran back into the woods. Without the decoy it might have paused to look for the source of the sound and gave me time for a shot. I don't know but I don't think that I will use a decoy again unless the stand is open enough to give me time to react.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI do use a decoy (FoxJack or MOJO) in the daylight.
I used the FoxJack the other night and maybe it cost me a fox, I will never know for sure but here is the story, you be the judge.
3/4 moon so I had the idea to add the decoy to my call. My theory was that maybe it would be an extra attractant.
The problem was that the field that I set up in was very overgrown with only a narrow lane, about 25' wide and about 100 yds long right next to the wood line that was fairly open. IF the fox had of come from from straight away I might have been alright, but it came in out of the wood line about 25 yds from me. It charged the call so fast, and actually attacked the call, that I could not get on it fast enough to get a shot before it jumped off of the call and ran back into the woods. Without the decoy it might have paused to look for the source of the sound and gave me time for a shot. I don't know but I don't think that I will use a decoy again unless the stand is open enough to give me time to react.

It does sound like the decoy may have caused you that fox, but overall, how many times has it worked & brought them in? Overall, I think a decoy is worth using maybe 8 times out of 10 but I ain't no expert like some of the guys on here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatFor coyotes, no. Our terrain is not conducive to decoys. Bobcats yes.
Huh? I'm confused how terrain determines whether or not you use a decoy?

My experiences too. Same results in hilly terrain. They charge in and out so quick and their gone. Definitely not a help in any limited sight situations.

I'm at the point where I either place the caller s it can't be seen, or if not possible just put an old stuffed animal out there on top of it. I own powered decoys, but I just don't need one more set of batteries to deal with plus the weight of it etc. Tryin' to keep it simple. Plus, I can put some scent on the stuffy like tonquin or something not too offensive like that. Definately seems to help! I dare say it hasn't yet cost me anything, and BOY do they focus on that thing when they come in!

Originally Posted By: defiant3I'm at the point where I either place the caller s it can't be seen, or if not possible just put an old stuffed animal out there on top of it. I own powered decoys, but I just don't need one more set of batteries to deal with plus the weight of it etc. Tryin' to keep it simple. Plus, I can put some scent on the stuffy like tonquin or something not too offensive like that. Definately seems to help! I dare say it hasn't yet cost me anything, and BOY do they focus on that thing when they come in!

What kind of stuff animal do you normally use?

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI do use a decoy (FoxJack or MOJO) in the daylight.

Sounds like the decoy worked a little too well in this case. I'm gathering decoys work well in open terrain, but not as useful in close quarters.

Originally Posted By: redhavenOriginally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI do use a decoy (FoxJack or MOJO) in the daylight.

Sounds like the decoy worked a little too well in this case. I'm gathering decoys work well in open terrain, but not as useful in close quarters.
No. I hunt hilly, wide open, and woods. It doesn't matter where I hunt, they all react the same.

Another poster here once said "a coyote coming in on a decoy is a coyote already coming in". That's about the same time I was noticing them hanging up or running from my decoy sets.
A live decoy(dog) is quite different.

Back