Massachusetts predator hunters

F0F79E19-120A-4C00-BC7F-C81692A124BB_zpsieifqs4u.jpg
[/URL

Originally Posted By: ac289fiaNice! Looks like a good one, especially compared to the few hides I've seen taken around here this year.

It had a nice thick hide. The baselayer was like a brillo pad and dulled a few scalpel blades when I skinned it out.

Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

Originally Posted By: Squatch413Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

A worthy tactic and i'm sure guys do it. One things for sure, you can see ALOT further.

I've thought about it and my one issue is how time consuming it would be. I could get 2-3 stands in in the same amount of time it would take for a guy to set-up, call & takedown a climber. Also, hauling the climber with all the other crap I carry would be an issue.

For a bobcat, i'd definitely consider it.

Originally Posted By: Squatch413Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

thumbup1.gif
Every Coyote I've shot has been from a treestand.

Squatch (interesting moniker)there is no such thing as a dumb idea when it comes to coyotes, if you have a climber, go for it..

Larue, nice one, love that AR...

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: Squatch413Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

A worthy tactic and i'm sure guys do it. One things for sure, you can see ALOT further.

I've thought about it and my one issue is how time consuming it would be. I could get 2-3 stands in in the same amount of time it would take for a guy to set-up, call & takedown a climber. Also, hauling the climber with all the other crap I carry would be an issue.

Thats my concern, is it better to call a few spots, or be up in the air for one good stand. Debating whether it's worth the hassle.

Originally Posted By: Squatch413 Thats my concern, is it better to call a few spots, or be up in the air for one good stand. Debating whether it's worth the hassle.

I keep 3 ladder stands set up in different areas. that way, I can just show up without it being a major hassle.

Originally Posted By: Squatch413Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: Squatch413Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

Thats my concern, is it better to call a few spots, or be up in the air for one good stand. Debating whether it's worth the hassle.

Squatch, you asked the question that I asked myself a long time ago, I would rather sit for a while and kill coyotes than run up the number of stands I go to...But then again I hunt farms, so coyotes constantly moving through... Give it a shot Squatch!! Everybody has to come up with their own way of hunting these animals..Put your stamp on it!! Use your climber and get some coyotes, and it you have a few ladder stands use them to..

Originally Posted By: ac289fia I keep 3 ladder stands set up in different areas. that way, I can just show up without it being a major hassle.

If I had the property i'd do this.

Called in a double tonight....Pretty dark, my buddy and I hit a dog at 65 yards with the shotgun.. Dog fell into a washout.. slide all the way down blood here and their. Were going to let him sit and look again in the Am....

Last edited:
Yeah it was dark last night even with the snow on the ground. We got a big pack howling around 9pm that we've gone after before but they eluded us again. Also had a single howling from a different area on the opposite side of a swamp, again none of them cared to venture in far enough to check out the call. Waited em out for 2-1/2 hours, sometimes thats the way it goes. Tried all the stuff thats worked in the past.

First time we had them going they were where we wanted them to be, this was 2 weeks ago. This time we get all setup approiately, hit the caller, and theyre behind us! [beeep]

Hope you find that one, had to use my thermal last week to locate a down one for the first time, worked great.

Good luck for the remainder of the season.

No luck on a cat yesterday morning. Called from sunrise til around noon in the berkshires, in an area we've called a cat out of season twice and had to let him walk. Saw tracks but no takers after the storm.

Back