Massachusetts predator hunters

Way to put them down!!!
thumbup.gif
Your the man!!!

Coyote hunting...if it were easy deer hunters would be doing it..

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEYou know I am right, AC!!
tt2.gif

thumbup.gif

Yup, I must really suck at it 'cause I've shot most of mine during archery season.

tt2.gif

Red fox this weekend and a missed coyote with my muzzleloader. Finally completed the quadfecta that is the bobcat, coyote, red fox & greyfox. The red fox has eluded me for awhile.

60gr NBT blew him up in the front, platnum grey distress was the sound. Did him a favor, he had the beginnings of mange on his trail and the rear of his back legs.

Set my muzzle loader up for night hunting and i've tried using 230gr .45cal FMJ's in a .50cal sabot & 90grains of blackhorn 209. Hopeing for no expansion to keep it fur friendly. Anyhow, on its maiden voyage this weekend I missed one at 125 yards. Went to the range to recheck it today and I couldnt get good groups at 100 to save my life. Any load suggestions? I'll be back at it this week.

"only thing on the baits are Fishers, no idea where all the 'yotes went."

Maybe they ate the coyotes? They seem to be all over western Mass. and will visit a bait sight every night once they show up.

Originally Posted By: duckstopperMaybe they ate the coyotes? They seem to be all over western Mass. and will visit a bait sight every night once they show up.

I would always get both, but as of late the coyotes have been very few and far between. Rumor has it that someones dog got caught in some kind of a trap(heard it from a neighbor who heard it from a neighbor, and so on ...) not too far down the road, thinking someone might be cleaning the area out.
scared.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiRed fox this weekend and a missed coyote with my muzzleloader. Finally completed the quadfecta that is the bobcat, coyote, red fox & greyfox. The red fox has eluded me for awhile.

60gr NBT blew him up in the front, platnum grey distress was the sound. Did him a favor, he had the beginnings of mange on his trail and the rear of his back legs.

Set my muzzle loader up for night hunting and i've tried using 230gr .45cal FMJ's in a .50cal sabot & 90grains of blackhorn 209. Hopeing for no expansion to keep it fur friendly. Anyhow, on its maiden voyage this weekend I missed one at 125 yards. Went to the range to recheck it today and I couldnt get good groups at 100 to save my life. Any load suggestions? I'll be back at it this week.

Great work!!!! I used to use Nosler 60gr BT, but they always exited. Were not fur friendly for me.

Last edited:
The 60 Nosler BT's have been very fur friendly for me on coyotes, and i've seen a few go DRT on the spot so that's why I use them. Shot one earlier this year at 10 yards (maybe less) broadside with no exit. However, if you hit them behind the leg and it exit's out the chest, or vice versa, it's like a hand grenade went off. That was the case with this little fox, although broadside would have probably been a pass-thru aswell. It's not a great fox round, that's my conclusion!

I shoot them over 25.8 grains of varget, which i've found to be the most accurate load in my gun.

Got a question for you guys that use vocals. I've most always used distress calls, but the other day I tried a female howl/bark followed by 2 male howls. Right away I got a response from a group right where I thought they'd be. I repeated the female howls/barks and got the same response. It was like I hear at night, but this was about 10AM. I shut down for 5 min, then used some soft distress on and off for another 25 min or so, but saw nothing. How should I have handled this ? How long should I have stayed ? I'm using a Hellfire if that matters, and had a Mojo running. Any ideas ?

Originally Posted By: masshunterGot a question for you guys that use vocals. I've most always used distress calls, but the other day I tried a female howl/bark followed by 2 male howls. Right away I got a response from a group right where I thought they'd be. I repeated the female howls/barks and got the same response. It was like I hear at night, but this was about 10AM. I shut down for 5 min, then used some soft distress on and off for another 25 min or so, but saw nothing. How should I have handled this ? How long should I have stayed ? I'm using a Hellfire if that matters, and had a Mojo running. Any ideas ?

If it were me and you got a response right away, i'd go silent for awhile to see if anything popped out. Alot of times they won't make another sound then next thing you know there they are. Granted you gave it a few minutes there was probably a good chance they're weren't going to come no matter what, which has happened to me several times. One things for sure is they definitely heard your prey distress sounds and wanted nothing to do with them.

If nothing after that period of silence i'd go straight to pup distress and run 3-4 different pup distress sounds before I quit. Sometimes before pup distress i'll try "C35 coyote female sub" on the foxpro and that sound for some reason pulls them in more often than not.

Good luck, you're in a good spot!

Larue, is correct, in the day especially, give them the no ones home treatment after you have used vocals, if they are close they have to come and see who is in their territory... coyotes care about territory more than anything...Also I personally feel that eastern hunters do not stay on stand long enough, if I get coyotes vocalizing out in front of me, I will stay till I zap one.. if that takes three hours of working them, so be it.. I worked a coyote one time for hours as she vocalized threat barking me, I never ended up getting her, but I did end up with a monster female that came to see what all the fuss was about.
I use 90 percent coyote vocals and I have had coyotes do things that you guys would not believe, including being down wind from me barking and scolding me, only to have me end the show with a well placed shot.
There is a member on here that I took hunting, we called a coyote out of the bush, but we could not shoot it because it was on the crown of a hill. It ran back in the bush, I told him I would call it back out, and I did... That same member called a coyote out of the bush three times but could not get a shot..
My point is if you know they are there, and you have good cover and shooting lanes, don't assume they have busted you...keep calling, and if you do miss one, keep calling, if there is one coyote, more than likely there is two or more, and they don't have walky-talkies to communicate with each other..

Masshunter, this same sceanario played itself out last night for a buddy and I.

First stand on a field abuting a swamp after 9PM I started out with light rabbit distress for any would be fox, gave it a few of silence then did my usual "group" howl on high volume and sure enough a few yotes respond immediately from the hillside we'd thought theyd be.

Long story short one did end up coming in after about a half hour, but through the swamp where a shot couldnt be made.

Sometimes they all come running within your shooting lanes, other times not. i

I killed a 50 lbs male Wednesday, I saw him and his female in the field , yesterday I went back and used male vocals, took a while but I ended up killing a female, don't know if it was the same one, but I don't care. Time on stand was three hours.

Back