a sweet surprise, black phase

PredatorNC

I'm a regular lurker here, about daily in fact, but don't post often as predators are just hard to come by here in North Carolina. The coyotes have been more vocal around the area lately so last weekend I placed a doe carcass out in hopes of a coyote slippin' up during daylight hours for an easy snack. Our coyotes seem to be predominantly nocturnal here. I rolled out of bed early this morning thinkin' a kill might set my Monday off right. I'll be dead burned if I didn't get even more than I bargained for.

Before sun up just as it becomes decent shootin' light and things come alive I could make out a figure buried in the carcass. Looking thru my scope, he was facing directly towards me, his shoulder blades erect with his head buried in the deers chest cavity made it look like a buzzard. I thought a dead burn buzzard, but knew I'd better give this closer inspection. I lip squeaked and at the sound he drew his head out of the carcass and looked straight at me from about 100 yards. The EARS! That's a Coyote! Still facing me straight on he buried his head back in the chest cavity of the deer until something caught his attention off to his right. He lifted his head and looked to the right to inspect the interruption exposing the profile of his head and neck. just the target I needed. I touched off a 100 grain pill from my 243. It was more dessert than he could handle. DRT!!

While I'm posting since it's rare that I do, I thought I'd share this double I took earlier this year. Last January morning following a good a snow I saw a good buck accompanied by 3 does bust it out of the timberline. I knew what must be going on and sure enough a large male comes out some 20 yards in tow with the burners on. I immediately sang out the loudest WWOOOOOO I could muster. He halted and I touched it off! BANG FLOP! It all happened fast. I sat there attempting to gather myself, but I was on full on adrenaline spike. I watched him lay there liefless replaying the scenario, patting myself on the back for saving my deer when about 7 minutes later his partner in crime lopes out and pulls up to look at her mate. It was if she was sayin the heck are layin in the snow for we bout had breakfast. Im back on autopilot...Settle the crosshairs..243 sings again! A violent spin and shes off! I work the bolt and swing on her just in time to see her do the death roll through the scope about 25 yards from where she took her medicine!

Though kills are hard to come by in my neck of the woods, I feel blessed to be inflicted with this passion.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on both hunts, sir!!!
Especially the black!!!
Here in Kansas, that's one color phase I haven't seen, (although I have seen a few in Oklahoma), so I've never had the chance at one. I am envious.
I would really be envious if it had had a white tipped tail! Hahahaha

Nice. I've never seen a black coyote before. I've seen one that was almost all white before, but buck fever got the best of me. Lol. So I have no pictures of that coyote to share. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Almost looks like you shot the neighbors dog on the lawn. Some people wouldnt recognize it as a big score.
Good way to keep those two warm on the jeep.

Sweetup.Congrats!!! I've seen 1 black coyote in Kansas and it was a road kill south oF Lawrence. Too busy of a highway to pull overland pick it up.

nice haul man. along the vein of always being a bridesmaid but never a bride.........I've always been the black sheep but never the black coyote.

Nice shooting, nice read, great pics. Post some more too....
Black yotes are seen in Georgia, hear about them several times a year on GON forum.

Back