Trimming 204 Ruger cases.

Hogstir

I have an AR in 204 Ruger and started using a small base die set to bump the shoulder back.
Normally I trim cases after sizing, but according to the instruction from RCBS you adjust the sizer die by screwing it down until it touches the top of your case, then 1/8 turn more. They clearly state that you should use one of your longer cases to perform the adjustment.
If I adjust the die to a 1.85 length case, but then run 1.84 cases thru it, won't it set the shoulder back to differing positions?
In this case should I be trimming the cases BEFORE sizing?

I'm pretty sure they are talking about touching the shoulder of the case to the shoulder part of the die and not the top of the neck.

Originally Posted By: Hogstir I have an AR in 204 Ruger and started using a small base die set to bump the shoulder back.
Normally I trim cases after sizing, but according to the instruction from RCBS you adjust the sizer die by screwing it down until it touches the top of your case, then 1/8 turn more. They clearly state that you should use one of your longer cases to perform the adjustment.
If I adjust the die to a 1.85 length case, but then run 1.84 cases thru it, won't it set the shoulder back to differing positions?
In this case should I be trimming the cases BEFORE sizing?

You turn the die into the shell holder without a case in place. It wants to deal with the case body and shoulder. case length has no impact on the RCBS sizer.

Always trim after sizing.

Greg

Back