47 inch Dragon

Wile E Coyotie

Northern Pike as long as your leg and walleye jumping into the boat after your bait - is my kinda fishing - endless supply of walleye willing to be Beer Battered and Fried in hot oil-- My good friends in N Manitoba Webbers lodges - put together a awesome trip for my Mom my Wife and myself 5 days @ Small Lake-- We experienced fly in-fishing at it best-
Unfortunately we got Trumped by the weather with high winds and rain plus 5C -- not to comfortable- but we toughed it out and feasted on the fresh fish --cooking 7 walleye for the Last Supper--over a smoky outside fire pit -- it gets no better----

although a triple -- bang bang bang - works good for me too- -

its been about 2 weeks since i was last out - headed to Fav spot -yesterday- - 10 Am -- -it takes about 20 mins to get there and -after about 15 mins of Fox pro time -i was getting antsy --this place always produces -- temps are 25C and very little SE winds-- i am rusty - and after 20 mins on the clock-- shut it down and have a plan to move ---i am sitting on wide open landscape - not a tree in sight- sage and natural prairie all about --- 1st thing i do when i am done a set up --is - MT the chamber of the swift - so I dump out the live rnd -and close it making sure the chamber is empty --leaving 3 in the mag- - stand up hurried like and sprint towards the call- making it only 2 stride to see at 60 yrds a large coyote now moving away in a fast rate --BUSTED__ Bleep! - I ran back and picked up the gun but - he got into a low spot and vanished--educated --lesson of the day

next set up -tucked the tacoma tight up against big Hay stack- and crawled up onto it - I can out shoot the rifle in all direction -- I put the Box up wind of me about 80 yrds--and melt into the haystack with the Bi pod on short--- I send out a series of Bark Bark bark for 3 min then switch to Pup distress----time slows down after the initial 2 or 3 mins and even though i keep a constant pivoting of my head in all directions of the compass the rest of me is still and getting cramped -and the afternoon heat is starting to cook me - mid way through the 20 min session -i found myself dreaming back to b on the lake- my wife in the front of the boat screaming its a huge pike -swallowing the medium size 5 of diamonds right at the side of the boat - the pike a monster of the deep can consume a live 5 pound walleye in a few minutes-grabbing him by the head drowning him the eating head first - a predatory of the fish factory-
my wife now holding the fishing reel in one hand and the rod in another after the two separated and this angry toothy 47 inch dragon below -tearing up the line-and my mom freaking out--
suddenly i noticed a small blurring figure moving out there at 800 yrds --the sun heat rays deflecting it at first but --then for sure its a coyote skirting my outer perimeter
I am 20 feet in the air on the hay stack and watch her as she moves from 8 oclock position all the way around me to 3 oclock closing in on my scent plume -- I had pre ranged the corner fence line and knew it was going to b a long shot -- but had time to double check with range finder -- if she crosses and stops i would b ready --she does this as scripted and i gave her just a hint of light over her back fired -knowing the drop to b about 5 inches- --#963 adult female summer scabby sable white-- 417 yrds - 27 mins on the clock -i took pic from hay stack then from where she lays. -

see the hay stack in right of center

I fumbled most of the rest of the day running into cattle everywhere i went -- good money in cows - if u can feed em -- bless the rains we have had --

last set up late in the day 530 -27C - east wind 10 mph-- i have been working the edge of this lake bottom for yrs --it always produced and has a huge natural grass island on it - always has yotie--- about a yr ago i got busted at 1 end of it and have since not been able to call with any success there --- so my theory i have been working with-- tells me - to just change it up a bit and try new location --its hard cuz we r wide open - so hiding the truck is always the chore -- I notice a dry slough bottom with a old Dam on it - so i pulled the Tacoma up tight to it and 2 steps out of the door I find a coyote turd -- makes me smile- i set the Prairie Blaster out - at 80 yard on the swarovski range finder- up wind of me -- on the fence line - clipping it to the top wire - this put the mojo just about head height for coyote -they can see it easy --note--see pic --I send out my stress bark bark bark - and at 3 mins switch to pup distress - -from far off into the sea of grass - i spot her right away cresting the roll in the landscape full stretch streaking hair ball-- she chooses to run in the heavy grass and follow the outer edge of the dry lake bottom as she narrows in on the fence line-- the lake has been dry for yrs - all landscape flows into the bottom in front of me and come to a halt at the Dam i am sitting on-- now in side the death zone all I gotta do is let her come to a stop -she has no idea i am there - jumping like kangaroo on her back legs - to get better view at 40 yrds - on 10X - #964 adult female scruff sumer sable sable white- 7 minutes 11 seconds on the clock

just got the call from GOV re coyotes eating sheep -- so gotta head out at pre daylite tomo to get jump on whatever is happing in the sheep pasture for the day ---- looking for input 3/4 of a mile square sheep pen 600 sheep and coyote are digging in -- electrical wire all the way around- x 2 -- big -fing sheep dog inside the pen chew u up or chase u down while trying to b sneaky- and ya -- 3 sides of the property Federal National Park- - the only hunt-able turf is the pen its self >?? -its a big challenge- - some days i get lucky -i hope tomo is one of them

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishing and hunting, doesn't get much better than that ! Eating walleye & killin coyotes ! Sounds like you need some "good doggie treats ".

Who cares about the yote lol thats just an added bonus all worth it over the walleye best tasting fish ever gor me! That makes everything worth it...

Man that is AWESOME! That should be a beer comercial! Definately living the good life! Always enjoy your write ups!

What mount is that for your gopro on the gun? Where did you find it?

Last edited:
I did two Canadian fly in pike trips years ago. One was Delaney Lake Lodge, the other I can't remember the name. Walleye shore lunches then big pike in the afternoon. Two of the best vacations of my entire life. 20 days in Bangkok wasn't even as fun, albeit less expensive.
Good story and good perspective, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back