KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That's nice Skypup. I am hoping for a suppressor sometime down the road.

In an open area like that, the can made the report sound like something between a .22 short and a .22 long rifle, the occupant of the home 50 feet away did not even notice it....and that was with a full power handloaded 5.56mm NATO round!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupJust got the HK 10.5" upper for my SBR build (am waiting on the lower receiver tax stamp back) and it has the new HK Modular Rail System on it with two integral quick detach sling attachment points.

Very nice quality improvement over the previous picitanny rail setup.

HK%20105.jpg

HK%20105%20Front.jpg

HK%20105%20Top.jpg

One fine blaster of an upper right there! A CQBL amd Unity hub for a Surfire V1 may be the ticket for this one!
cool.gif

Since I have numerous registered FLIR thermal products, I got an email from them today in regards to a new thermal rebate program running from July through October on their PS thermal hand scanners and the RS thermal scopes.

If you purchase one or more of these units from any authorized Flir distributor, you fill out the form to receive your cash rebate:

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=69672

[beeep] good deal if you are in the market for a new thermal....

After many months of trying to talk to someone who runs their IR Defense MKII 35mm in Clip-on mode with an ACOG or ELCAN, I finally am working on it at long last!

It certainly is much more difficult and time consuming to zero the MKII to the day scope than my T-70/T-75s are, but where there is a will there is a way.

First off, you will need a rock solid AR-15 magazine well mount to place your rifle in so that it does not move while mounting and removing and remounting the MKII thermal in front of your day optic.

You first adjust your day optic onto the target bulleye at the range you have your day optic zeroed.

Then you carefully attach the MKII in front of day optic on the rail as close as you can without moving the rifle off target.

Fine adjust the MKII ocular diopter to get best focus after you've turned the scope on.

Go to Level 4 by turning the left turrent.

Turn the right turrent to CO for Clio-On mode.

Turn the left turrent to Level 5.

Use the top and right turrents to shift the entire scene until your day optic is back on target.

Turn the left turrent back to Level 1 to save the setting.

Remove MKII and insure day optic is still on target.

Reinstall the MKII, turn on the power, go back to Clip-On mode from level 4 and make sure that the screen position was saved and the MKII is still on target.

If not, repeat until on target.

Take some practice shots at the range at which you originally zeroed your day optic and repeat again to fine adjust your zero.

MKII%20SIG%20556%20Clip%20On%20Full.jpg

MKII%20SIG%20556%20Clip%20On.jpg

MKII%20SIG%20556%20Clip%20On2.jpg

Was cruising out to a stand in the UTV with the FLIR M-324 on right after sundown and saw a large group of hogs cross the road about a 1/4 ahead. Stopped and stalked them out in some thick brush about 50 yards in the woods, there were some big ones but I shot the first one I was able to get in the crosshairs of the T-70 and took out his backbone, the others all snorted at me and took off...nice snacker!

HK%20Snacker.jpg

HK%20Snacker%20Hot.jpg

SkyPup,

Thanks for posting the info about clip on mode with your ACOG. Now that you have done it, what do you say about the setup? How is the view with the ACOG? Usable?

Have you tried the IR Hunter MK II with your Elcan Specter? If so, how does it compare? If not, how do you feel it would compare?

I'm just asking cause I am thinking about picking up an Elcan Specter to use with my MK II. But its a pricey optic, and I don't know if would be worth the money when using it with my MK II in clip on mode.

Regards,

G.

For all intents and purposes, I would stick with the IR Hunter/Patrol in TWS mode and skip the Clip-On mode, it really does nothing for the setup to use another day optic and is more of a hassle to get setup.

Both the ELCAN and ACOG are great scopes with my FLIR T-50/60/70/75 Clip-Ons but they are an entirely different ball of wax to use in Clip-On mode, they take less than 5 sec to setup.

The IR Hunter is much more difficult to setup and use, plus you lose all the icons in the display, and it is very heavy. Its use a Clip-On is at best marginal, it really is better off as a dedicated scope.

I am going back to using it in TWS mode and skipping its use as a Clip-On.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupFor all intents and purposes, I would stick with the IR Hunter/Patrol in TWS mode and skip the Clip-On mode, it really does nothing for the setup to use another day optic and is more of a hassle to get setup.

Both the ELCAN and ACOG are great scopes with my FLIR T-50/60/70/75 Clip-Ons but they are an entirely different ball of wax to use in Clip-On mode, they take less than 5 sec to setup.

The IR Hunter is much more difficult to setup and use, plus you lose all the icons in the display, and it is very heavy. Its use a Clip-On is at best marginal, it really is better off as a dedicated scope.

I am going back to using it in TWS mode and skipping its use as a Clip-On.

Thanks SkyPup. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Regards,

G.

I spent some time sighting in the IR Defense Patrol M-300 this morning on my venerable SIG 556.

At first I tried to set it up in front of my ACOG 4X TA02 as a Clip-On, the height matches the ACOG on the Wilcox mount, but could not see the screen icons in Clip-On mode?

I did not see any real benefit in using this instrument in Clip-On mode with my day optic ACOG as the thermal image gets pixelated at anything over 4X power.

So figured I would use it as a standalone scope and also as a helmet mounted thermal scanner and just use the internal crosshair reticule and digital magnifications.

The Wicox dovetail fits all my helmet mounts so an easy switch out.

Tge M-300 does not clear a top rail mounted laser, so if you are using a laser you will need to move it to the side rail to keep it from interfering with the view.

The M-300 is a nice light weight thermal scope with a large FOV plenty adequate out to 225 yards, which is about the lethal range of my 5.56mm Barnes 70 grain TSX handloads on large hogs.

Will get some video soon.

Full%20Patrol%20M300.jpg

Close%20Patrol%20M300.jpg

Top%20Patrol%20M300.jpg

Also dialed in the IR Hunter MKII-35mm on my SIG 716 7.62mm in standalone mode as I've got some big hogs to take down here shortly.

I tried it out in Clip-On mode with both the ACOG and ELCAN, but decided this instrument suits me better as a dedciated standalone TWS.

The MKII-35 does clear the DBAL-D2 with zero interference when the laser is mounted on the top rail, not a problem.

MKII%20SIG%20716%20Full.jpg

MKII%20SIG%20716%20Close.jpg

Back