Baiting

Thanks 6mm06, and yes the Photon works well at the distance I am shooting, 145-150 yds, using the Doubler. I could have made the shot okay wihtout a Doubler attached but it makes it easier for older eyes like mine. Those were trail camera IR's that kept turning on and off. Here is the shot from the Wildgame camera perspective.

Last edited:
I haven't had a coyote visit my bait yet this year.(or last year) A few fox on camera early this year but my alarm was acting up and could never connect. We then got pounded with snow the last month and all activity ceased. So I haven't been following this thread much. Good to see guys have been having success. I was able to get a hold of a couple road kill and hope I can connect in these last few weeks in the NY season. This guy let me get a little practice in.

Last edited:

PMack, you sure did take the "caw" out of that one. He barely got it out before you whacked him.

Don't feel too bad about the coyote situation. I have only had two visits since January 1. Like you, I get fox coming occasionally, and a red is coming now pretty often, including last night. I had two skunks and a possum show up last night as well, but no coyotes since January. Frustrating.

good stuff doubleup and pmack, congrats on the fur and feathers, thanks for the videos.

Doubleup, what kind of rest are you shooting from at 150 yds?

I stayed at the cabin again last night, hoping to get a couple of skunks that have been digging up the farm. Those things seem to be thick here whereas when I was growing up, I never saw one. I didn't see any, but a red fox made his nightly visit and I saw a couple of deer in the field too.

I didn't have much faith in seeing a coyote. They seem to be a scarce thing here now, with my last sighting being shortly after the first of January.

I got some footage through the home-made night vision unit and thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdO13j536IY&feature=youtu.be

David,

That's some great footage. It looks like it was taken in daylight with quality optics. You da man...
wink.gif

$bob$

Thanks guys.

The home-made outfit appears clearer to the eye when looking through it than it does after recording video and then posting to YouTube. Also, there is a trade off between crosshair focus and target focus. If I focus the crosshair to be very sharp and distinct, then the target is blurred, and vice versa. So, I kind-of adjust it between for the best of both.

While the home-made deal has an unconventional appearance, it flat out works and makes shooting easy up to reasonable distances. As you could tell by the video, I could easily take a coyote at the 120 yard area where the deer were. The daytime scope setting was on 6X but I could zoom it up maybe to 8 or 9 and still be acceptable, though it does get more grainy and blurry when zoomed up much. I found that 6x is about ideal considering both clarity and zoom, especially for the 60 yard site. If I were shooting at 120, I would probably zoom it up another power or two, maybe to 8x.

I had just got back from a fishing trip to devils lake and my son said there was a wolf in the back yard.Sure enough a big wolf walked across the yard 80 yards out.Two days ago I was sitting in the living room and looked out the front window and there 80 yards down in the swamp was a coyote chewing on an old rib cage.I opened the window and put the cross hairs on him,but for the first time in my life I didnt squeeze the trigger.He looked so cool when he would look at the house.Those yellow eyes were so clear in my 4.5-14 leupold vx111.He came back a couple hours later and I put the scope on him again,this time I noticed blood on the back of his neck and there was a chunck of hide ripped.He had sure tangled with somthing.Anyway the fur would have no good now so I just watched him again and let him walk off.We dont have that many coyotes around here and im looking forward to next winter when I hope we meet again as well as many of his friends he will bring along.I actually had more fun just watching him ,I guess its the taxidermist in me,as well as the trapper whos never fur not at its peak.Thanks for the info 6mm and double up on the drive way patrol.

thanks to ALL for he videos great to see them .......been a busy winter here as well as colder than normal which has limited my coyote hunting/baiting to next to nothing. My bait pile has been minimal at best this winter. So yesterday early morning much to my surprise a pack of coyotes barking behind the house.......a bunch in the woods and 1 lone coyote standing on some snow I had plowed up......barking along with them ....could not believe it....no bait. Head up in the air barking with the others ......then .234 barked and it slid down the snow bank DRT. Female nothing special about it .. my guess 1-1/2 - 2 years old. Shortly after was traveling and was able to pick up a road kill deer....best bait I have had all winter. Hopefully things will continue ...as this winter was almost as slow as last winter ...which was terrible. We still have 3 feet of snow in many places. Sorry, I did not put up a pic....will try later.

dd

Last week was a good week of calling as well as at the bait site. I was able to get this video of one I killed at the bait site. Sorry the video is not great as I was trying to use minimum IR on the coyote. Shot was 173 yds with the Photon 4.6XT using a Doubler mounted on the CZ 17 Rem. I was using the Hornady 25 gr. hp at about 3,900 fps muzzle. I was surprised that I got a pass through on this coyote which was rather large, but entry and exit were both small holes. Hard to tell because of the whiteout from the IR reflecting off the smoke but it was a DRT.

Even with the full moon, the coyotes were responding well to the call all week as well. Looking forward to loosing that moonlight this week.

DoubleUp, nice. You are really on a roll and have shot more coyotes at the bait site this season than anyone I know of. The Photon is working well for you too.

Dog Driller, it's hard to imagine still having 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I stopped at the reloading store yesterday and someone had sold a pile of new and used fired only once 17 rem brass.I bought a bag of 117 brand new for $45 and a bag off 100 once fired for $40.I also got 1000 cci br primers they found hidden behind some other stuff.They hadnt been able to get any off those for a year.New 17 rem brass is 69.99 a 100 at Natchez if you could get them which you cant so I felt like a little kid at christmas.

Back