Massachusetts predator hunters

My budy shot one last night in Salem, nh. Said 5 came into howl's. But I still haven't heard a coyote answer a howl this year. When are they likely to do that? It's what I'm waiting for, like a Tom turkey gobbling back, I love it!

Got two in the truck last night. Pal shot one before I arrived and I called another in that was hanging around near the farm house. Had trouble with call remote, as I did not use the glow paint that Shane recommended. I have fixed that.... Female vocalizations got several dogs going and I made a mistake with the remote and ended up with vole squeaks...figured any noise was better than the racket I was making tying to get it right as the dog moved through the brush at 100 yards. Turned the volume all the way down and he creeped up to the call/mojo and I got a nice 45 yard quartering in shot with turkey tube and FF shot. Dog stoned. Both last springs coyote pups. I'll try for a pic. Perfect night with light wind and huge moon.

FYI, pal shot female at more than 100 yards with 22 rifle and Rem Thunderbolt target round... through both lungs and the dog did not go far. Oh, it was on the run too. Some guys have all the luck!

Originally Posted By: magurohunterGot two in the truck last night. Pal shot one before I arrived and I called another in that was hanging around near the farm house. Had trouble with call remote, as I did not use the glow paint that Shane recommended. I have fixed that.... Female vocalizations got several dogs going and I made a mistake with the remote and ended up with vole squeaks...figured any noise was better than the racket I was making tying to get it right as the dog moved through the brush at 100 yards. Turned the volume all the way down and he creeped up to the call/mojo and I got a nice 45 yard quartering in shot with turkey tube and FF shot. Dog stoned. Both last springs coyote pups. I'll try for a pic. Perfect night with light wind and huge moon.

FYI, pal shot female at more than 100 yards with 22 rifle and Rem Thunderbolt target round... through both lungs and the dog did not go far. Oh, it was on the run too. Some guys have all the luck!

Nice, was this on the cape or in Rhode Island? Granted I hate eastern mass I am jealous on how many yotes are out that way.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: magurohunterGot two in the truck last night. Pal shot one before I arrived and I called another in that was hanging around near the farm house. Had trouble with call remote, as I did not use the glow paint that Shane recommended. I have fixed that.... Female vocalizations got several dogs going and I made a mistake with the remote and ended up with vole squeaks...figured any noise was better than the racket I was making tying to get it right as the dog moved through the brush at 100 yards. Turned the volume all the way down and he creeped up to the call/mojo and I got a nice 45 yard quartering in shot with turkey tube and FF shot. Dog stoned. Both last springs coyote pups. I'll try for a pic. Perfect night with light wind and huge moon.

Nice, was this on the cape or in Rhode Island? Granted I hate eastern mass I am jealous on how many yotes are out that way.

John, I think it was the new remote lanyard that did it!! LOL!! Great job, way to stick with it and work em in for the shot....
PS The WT vole squeak's are one of my fav's!!

Last edited:
Hi Shane! Yup that [beeep] lanyard!! Actually a great addition to the kit and the new glow stuff my kids have is going to be a huge help. Got the shots on the eastern shore of the westport river on a very pretty farm. Was hoping to to go tonight but the overcast is still pretty solid. I might push it a little with the shotgun and the snow... Vole squeak is a regular for me. I like unusual stuff like the coons and squirrels too. Gosh we sound like rednecks eh? Ha!

Originally Posted By: magurohunter...I'll try for a pic.

Got you covered John
thumbup1.gif

IMG950416_zps7070f1b2.jpg

Last edited:
You never know whats gonna show up. (as you know well) First dog of 2014 was prettiest coyote I ever did see...I did one sunset session this eve and just as I was starting I heard a round go off to the south about 1/2 mile...they (my pals) continued to shoot till after dark. The turkeys were pissed at me too...had everything scrambling around too funny. No dogs. I was going to do another set but the moon had yet to rise and the overcast was pretty heavy. I need 5 k to set my night program up properly!

Hey Joe..I was cruising through photo bucket and saw this pic from last fall. You can see my cockpit controls in this one...13 yellows, 31 mahi and a couple of albies to boot! Geesh...maybe a single serving bottle of wine is good for my computer skills!!!

There you go!! That looks like a big dog! Love that rifle!
I was going to go out tonite but the wind was lite and wrong for the only spot of mine that has a plowed spot to park my truck!!! I have my snow shoes out,have not used them since that brutal 2010 /2011 winter!!
I would like to have a little more wind to mask my travels in to my shotgun spots..

Dog 1 sure was a good way to start the season off. Rifle looks familiar? Ha!! Mine only has camo tape which helps keep the noise down Shooter though.....Same problem here with deep snow. but no snow shoes! Wind is up from sw but a little too much cloud cover. I was just out in the back and the snow looks bright, but I know I would never get good sight alignment. Waaa....sound like a whiner...

Baystate,
I 've been busy plowing and haven't had time to go out. I pulled my cards on the 31st, quite a F@$%#ING project!
thumbdown.gif
I had to park out on the main road and hike through the two fields just to get to the woods. Some of the drifts were over 5' tall, needless to say a 15 minute job took well over an hour. I need to buy some snow shoes, just so I can rebait.
crazy.gif
Anyways, I have Fishers, a Grey Fox, a Raccoon, and a Red Tail Hawk hitting my bait, no Yotes to be found.
frown.gif
I hope to get out if this snow ever stops!

Last edited:
Back