Decoy dog help UPDATE VIDEO

bumpy999

Hey guys,
Long time lurker here, i have tried taking my two airedales out calling(one three year old and one 6 months) mostly to no success untill yesterday when i called in a small female. Well my question is how do you get the dogs to not just hang around you? Theyve done alot of bird hunting but when i sit down they just want to come up to me alot and ive been worried that theyre pointing me out to the coyotes, yesterday when i got this female they were just playing with eachother and she keyed in on them but they never even saw her. Although she was so focused on them that after i missed the first shot she kept coming! Should i just try to get them on more dogs and eventually theyll understand? or should i try to hold off on shooting till the coyotes get closer so they hopefully will notice?

Sorry about the horrible pics i have to use the screen side camera on me iphone...

Last edited:
Sounds like they got it done to me. (-:

If you want them to pay less attention to you, be sure you ignore them when on stand. No pets, smiles, looks, etc. They only get attention at the vehicle. Pretty soon when you set up a stand, they will be looking for coyotes.

Keep it up. The more coyotes you put in front of them the more fun you are gonna have.

My Purdy dog, the one in my avatar plants herself next to me when I sit down and start calling, just like she always has.
Just when I think she's not paying attention, her head snaps around and she is off like a rocket toward one I haven't seen.

Yours will pick it up, play tug of war with a few dead ones and you'll see the ol' Airedale shake. They'll make it a competition.
Take a look at these old posts. Yours will come along fine.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...903#Post1610903

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...768#Post1766768

Ill take a look at those thanks, yea the three year old picked up the opne we got yesterday and carried it around like a toy, thanks for the suggestions. We did two sets today nada on the first and had a triple hang up at like 500-600 yds and just howl till dark.... ill be back for them

Originally Posted By: bumpy999had a triple hang up at like 500-600 yds and just howl till dark.... ill be back for them

In a couple of months those groups will likely come on down to run those Fuzzballs out of their territory. Turns into the second most fun thing a man can do.

Pay close attention to my friend AD56. We been there. LOL

i was wondering about that, and hopefully by then my pup Duke will be a little bigger and more brazen so he can help Copper out. Coppers fully grown and 65lbs everytime at the vet and Duke was 39lbs at 5 months.

I really envy the guys who have good decoy dogs for their coyote hunting. I really like those Airedales as they are smart as can be and about as game as you will ever find. A coyote can't handle them.

its happening alittle right now on the right coyotes. Me and Grape made a stand before dark yesterday and she got some work in. Lots of challenge howls from the coyotes.

When it gets going good, watch your pup, they tend to go hard for the smaller dogs most of the time.

Stay after them
Kelly

Airedales are fun, the one I had sure was a clown. I miss her. However now I have a Curr and she also is a hoot in her own way. She isn't very gritty, but she loves to charge out to a coyote. I took her out last last week for some coyote calling. She did get bit by an aggressive male, then he took his last breath on this earth. She spots them and runs out towards them but stops a little short. The dog has spotted a few I didn't and she also found a couple I couldn't. Got to love a dog that uses it's nose. She starts out with tons of energy and cast out pretty good in the early stands, but slows down in the afternoon stands, often just laying at my feet.

Saw that triple again today, just wouldn't commit. Although my pup is kinda scarin me because he'll run off like i want the older dog to do but he'll just disapear for a while till i beep him on his collar

I know this is a very old post but I’ve since moved to Alaska and wanted to share a video of the “puppy” that I talked about 3 years ago, this was just the aftermath of calling in 6 coyotes and this was one I just winged that duke gladly finished off for me. This video is from March 2018 when I still lived in Idaho. If anyone is curious duke is right at 80lbs in this video. [video:youtube][/video]

Just depends on what you want. My catahula (coyote bait) used to do the same thing and stayed very close to me on stand. At first I thought maybe she was half bind as she didnt seem to see the yotes till way after I did. But I liked it as she would stay close until the crack of the rifle and then she took off after them like a lightning bolt. Dont worry about getting busted by the yotes, when they see the dog they'll come in even if they see you! NOW she is 3 yrs. old and is begining to use all the sense's God has given her and she generally knows the coyote is there way before I do and now she takes right off after them which I m not sure is a great thing. Because now I have to be very careful when I chose to shoot. And this time of year the pups that come in will head for the next county as they dont want anything to do with other coyotes OR DOGS. But its all great fun either way. Also, your dog will soon learn not to take the chase to far, but if not I recamend you whistle him back as there are all ways more coyotes out there not to far away and after a few hunts you'll see the game starts change real fast as the coyotes will now be decoying your dog!!!! These coyotes are very very smart. Have fun and good hunting.

Please take the link down, as well as the YouTube video. No one needs to see your dog killing the coyote. It only feeds the anti-hunters argument that we aren’t humane. I’m all for the hunt and the kill, but a dog killing a wounded coyote is extremely unhelpful.

Originally Posted By: jimmy917Please take the link down, as well as the YouTube video. No one needs to see your dog killing the coyote. It only feeds the anti-hunters argument that we aren’t humane. I’m all for the hunt and the kill, but a dog killing a wounded coyote is extremely unhelpful. oh shut up...the coyote is already dead, hes just training it to do what its supposed to do. Go get a latte and play games on ur ipad.

a latte.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Back