Massachusetts predator hunters

Just got back in, beautiful night to be out, but that's about it. 3 hour stand, 1 deer, a bunch of mice and a rabbit.
unsure.gif

Not even a howl back.. did three sets in new territory...had one great set for sure, but no takers. Going to RI this week again. May hit fairhaven tomorrow with the east wind....

Sat over two different bait piles the last two nights with no luck. Monday had a deer, a rabbit and a boat load of mice, last night on the other pile, a solo mouse. Nothing on the 4 cameras, no yotes, fox or fishers, no idea what's going on.
unsure.gif

Last edited:
No, just sitting in my tree stands 50-75 yds from the bait. I have had good luck this way in the past. The cameras usually show activity, but it's been quiet lately.

Last edited:
Good One Joe...Actually pretty close to your place for sure. Did two sets there, one short one right behind barn, then a long one into the dark at the north end of the property. No dogs seen. No howls or barks back. Two sets of tracks headed north (from the farm right on 195) which continued all the way to the north end of our piece.

I missed two in Little Compton on first set in the AM. 212 yards. Just plain missed. Still lamenting....thought they were cows for like 5 or 10 minutes as they were in the pasture next to the herd eating a fresh killed calf. No wonder they would not move closer. I ranged them, then took shot. Lucky dog. My heart beating too fast did not help. Still laughing at myself for writing them off as cows/calves...I had a 'what the heck" moment when one turned broadside with a bushy tail!....

Originally Posted By: ac289fia No, just sitting in my tree stands 50-75 yds from the bait. I have had good luck this way in the past. The cameras usually show activity, but it's been quiet lately.

You might want to try it, nothing gets the locals riled up more than strange dogs at their food pantry.. I don't hunt baits but I have called and killed a lot off dead cows.. I know your using the .22 lr so running dogs could be difficult, but what you could do is just a few coyote vocals of coyotes fighting over food then shut it down, then wait for the locals to sneak in for a look...
Here is another trick that I used, I would spray the bait area with coyote urine, that way the dogs get real riled up because they can tell its not their pack mates...

Last edited:
My old Johnny Stewart (tapes) caller died and I haven't replaced it yet, so I won't be calling but will give the urine a try. I'll pick some up Sunday and let you know how it goes, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Saw 5 yesterday. Moving too fast at 300 plus yards across bluff on river. I tried coyotes fighting and hunting whines after calf distress on and off over ten minutes. Also included some intermittent barking and yip/howls on [beeep] diaphragm pup howler during group vocals. They ended up in woods challenge barking back at me after group rally howl. We chatted briefly, but I could not get them to come out for a clean shot. It was not warm on the water with a strong southwesterly coming across the mouth of the Sakonnet River....They finished off the calf they killed on Wed.

I will sort out getting some coyote urine for next visit there. Thanks for advice BY.

I'm definitely interested John, give me a shout.

I need to change up my game, think I figured out why I'm not seeing anything on my cameras, one of the neighbors must be baiting from their home, was in my stand the other night and heard a gun shot South of me around 9 p.m. .
mad.gif

Last edited:
Any advice on hunting in three feet of snow? I went out today just for the fun of it without any luck, but I don't see how a coyote can move through powder this deep?

If you can get out during the week or off hrs try walking the snowmobile trails. The yotes use them too. Usually they skirt the thick stuff, makes forvsome great set-ups. I'm headed for some right now. Good luck!!

Just got back from calling.. Right around dusk I had a really nice blonde yore come in...But of course he came in right where I didn't think he would.. RIGHT DOWN the side of a running river.. Coyote was walking along the edge of the ice!!!!! I guess they'll take a chance of getting wet to stay outta the snow... And no i didnt get a shot its really thick along this edge and he made it threw before I could even get the gun on him.... At least I know Im doing something right!

Hows everyone in western mass doing thus far? Had a great start to the season but dry stand after dry stand since deer season has finished up.

Going to hit it hard tomorrow, plenty of tracks around houses. Not hearing the howling I used to, but they are around. The yotes are eating some deer for sure.

Back