Massachusetts predator hunters

Originally Posted By: twhitey
Yes an Ir is a no go tell me about your thermal eyex50?

It's the only thermal I've ever owned so can't compare it to anything. However, it never fails to detect critters whenever they come to my calls. It's the one thing I won't go hunting without.

Originally Posted By: norbsOriginally Posted By: twhitey
Yes an Ir is a no go tell me about your thermal eyex50?

It's the only thermal I've ever owned so can't compare it to anything. However, it never fails to detect critters whenever they come to my calls. It's the one thing I won't go hunting without.

That's cool I just looked up your thermal nice one I am waiting for the shot show at the end of the month to see if any new products come out I have my eye on a flir Ls64 can't wait.Did it up Your odds my Pvs Dosent see everything it will be of great help in detecting in the brush or shady dark areas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: twhitey

That's cool I just looked up your thermal nice one I am waiting for the shot show at the end of the month to see if any new products come out I have my eye on a flir Ls64 can't wait.Did it up Your odds my Pvs Dosent see everything it will be of great help in detecting in the brush or shady dark areas

Thermal is a huge game changer. I can't imagine how many coyote came in range that I didn't see with my night vision. They stand out like a sore thumb with thermal. Looks like a really bright white ghost moving through the woods.

Anyone been having any luck? I struck out my last three sits.
thumbdown.gif

Today, on my 4th stand around 3:00pm I tried turkey calls, Lightning Jack, and some howls for 25 min. Then the last 5 min. I used "coyote pup screams". Then a smallish coyote came trotting in, through the thickest possible spot. Got off one shot, a miss, and couldn't find it in the scope for another shot. This is the first one I've seen in 2015.

Haven't been out much, made 4 stands yesterday, 2 today, trying to learn my new FoxPro Hellfire. I never used coyote vocals before, so I'm trying to build confidence. Not seeing much fresh sign. Trying some new areas. Finding all the deer I couldn't find a month ago.

Wanted to go out last night but too windy here. Hoping to get out tonight after work. Good luck all.

Last edited:
Ac
Don't buy into the to windy crap you hear on this site, those guys hunt out west and its a different deal...
I love wind, the more the better, why? Well first I can get into stands that normally would be impossible without alerting the local coyotes, wind screws up their hearing, and sight, if all the brush and trees are moving coyotes have a harder time busting by sight, and scent, when its windy I don't even worry about scent it gets pulled up and away fast...
In fact if its real still and quiet I tend to stay home unless I have a spot that I can get into silently without getting busted.

They have been active here. Last weekend we called in a grey. Today we called in a good size yote that back Dolores us around 21 min mark when we were standing up to change sets. Next set around 830am we called in a 30lb female and got her. Seem to be reacting lately

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEAc
Don't buy into the to windy crap you hear on this site, those guys hunt out west and its a different deal...
I love wind, the more the better, why? Well first I can get into stands that normally would be impossible without alerting the local coyotes, wind screws up their hearing, and sight, if all the brush and trees are moving coyotes have a harder time busting by sight, and scent, when its windy I don't even worry about scent it gets pulled up and away fast...
In fact if its real still and quiet I tend to stay home unless I have a spot that I can get into silently without getting busted.

I hear 'ya Baystate, but I'm hunting at night, in a tree stand ,over bait, with a small caliber rifle. 40+ is a little too much.
As far as tonight, nada. I watched half a dozen mice run around all over my bait from 75 yards for 3.5 hours. According to my cameras, the Yotes were all over the bait the last 3 nights, anywhere from 5:30 pm to 1:00 am.
thumbdown.gif

Last edited:
Whats up Im from the Cape. Im not new to yote hunting.. but to calling them I am. Im stacked em up in years past with bait but am trying to figure out how to call them better. I have an fx3...and am looking into a PVS14 with the aim point set up. I know theres a lot of yotes around me bc if i put a bait out ill smash em within a few nights. But if i go out calling 9/10 times I'm coming up empty handed. Any advice on calling them during mating season? Sequences that have world for you?

To the guy in fairhaven thats baiting.. Are you moving your baits?
Sounds to me like you killed the stupid dogs off and there a few smart ones that are left. In your set up is there anything around the back of you to prohibit them from getting down wind? Start a bait somewhere else and I bet you get some quick results again.

Watch when we get a bunch of snow.. I'll bet you have dogs doing almost a full 360 before hitting the bait those are the smart dogs that are left.. They've either winded you once without you knowing it or figured the game out.. time to move. Also we've had some warm temps.. when we have them the dogs don't need the calories so there out micen.

A trick a buddy taught me when I first started baiting them was to put out less bait once you've established a bait site... It creates competition.. dogs will come earlier and earlier to beat out other totes. Also it keeps them hungry.. put out a bunch of bait and they'll hammer it all in a night and be full/have the calories they need to stay away for a few night....(leaned the hard way on this one)
Those 1am dogs will learn real quick if they wanna feed they better get there butt there early..

Last edited:
Hi & thanks bigbuck, no, I'm not moving my baits. I'm hunting the edge of a swamp and they have always come through the swamp to get to the baits. as far as behind me, I have about 80-90 yards of woods and then a huge field. I'd be willing to try another bait stand, but not sure if I want to set up another ladder stand, just pulled all my deer stands out.
As far as them mousing, I believe that. There were mice running ramped last night.
I thought of cutting down my bait, but I have it all frozen in large setups. I guess I could thaw them first....
The red has been back, even during the day. She probably knows I'm working.
tongue_smilie.gif

1784_zps9bb247da.jpg

Last edited:
Thats an awesome colored dog. Goodluck smoking him.

I was meaning move to another location to bait.. Those dogs are dumb now but wait till you blast a few...they'll start circling like crazy to make sure its extra safe lol.. Its fun to see how smart they get... Then move 2 miles away and you have dumb greedy dogs all over again. (that dog in your aviator is a huge dog btw)

I want to be able to call better.. We don't have any real fields down here so its really tough hunting..

On another note I hope MA smartens up and lets us use center fire rifle from a tree stand over bait... Where shooting down into the ground... That would allow night vision scopes on gun and 100% target ID before dropping the hammer..... Not the answer I keep getting " wait till theres snow and a full moon" Id like to see someone tell me the difference between a Shepard and a yote at 100 yards under those conditions... Also whats up with them allowing us to use lights for opossum and raccoons but not yotes?

Last edited:
I've always stayed in on windy days, maybe I should change up. Made 3 sets fri AM, from the tracks I think I had a couple lock up about 150yds, just out of sight. Looks like they were looking at my Mojo, not at me. Tracks milled around, then went back. I started sitting longer, 30-35min. Next time I call that stand I'll put my partner out in front to cover that.

Yeah, he's alluded me twice over the past two years. He's definitely the Alpha male. That's not him in the last pic, but a nice dog, just the same.

243_zpsc44d98ec.jpg

157a_zpsac9f28e6.jpg

1174_zps19f2a352.jpg

006_zps9bf7a8c2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigbuck28Thats an awesome colored dog. Goodluck smoking him.

I was meaning move to another location to bait.. Those dogs are dumb now but wait till you blast a few...they'll start circling like crazy to make sure its extra safe lol.. Its fun to see how smart they get... Then move 2 miles away and you have dumb greedy dogs all over again. (that dog in your aviator is a huge dog btw)

I want to be able to call better.. We don't have any real fields down here so its really tough hunting..

On another note I hope MA smartens up and lets us use center fire rifle from a tree stand over bait... Where shooting down into the ground... That would allow night vision scopes on gun and 100% target ID before dropping the hammer..... Not the answer I keep getting " wait till theres snow and a full moon" Id like to see someone tell me the difference between a Shepard and a yote at 100 yards under those conditions... Also whats up with them allowing us to use lights for opossum and raccoons but not yotes?

LOL! Dont hold your breath Big Buck,this state will never allow that..to many lawyers..
thumbdown.gif

Mass,give hunting in the wind a try,they have to eat and breed!!Go to the stands that are the hardest to get to and give it a try,you more than likely wont get busted on you way in..
smile.gif

Ac, those are some kick AZZ pictures, man!!
thumbup.gif

Will do John, good luck this afternoon, hoping to get an hour or so in myself sometime tonight . Expectations are low, as the cams haven't produced much lately.
thumbdown.gif

Last edited:
Back