Massachusetts predator hunters

Finally getting back out after deer season. Ended 2014 with 16 so not so bad.
Did 4 sets today and had two show up at sunset in a snowsquall. Just getting sight alignment when my hunting buddy takes his shot... a clean miss! Track in snow, now hair no blood. Oh well, saw two anyway. Had flu since Dec 27 and finally getting better. Good luck and get some rest.

I didn't make it out today because I think I have a touch of the Flu/Cold? Got up at 4:30 and felt like crap, took some aspirin and set in the chair for a half hour and ended up going back to bed. I had a nice red/blondeone come in last Saturday, but no shot. I got a pic of her on my trail cam a couple of weeks back. Haven't seen one since.
Get better everyone.

317a_zps3cd43ad6.jpg

Last edited:
HI ac289fla. South Dartmouth....got one dog in fairhaven in 2014. give a call sometime. Going tomorrow with cold and wind falling off. Might go again in afternoon. 508 863 9336

john

Hello fellow MA hunters. I'm new to predator hunting and I'm glad to see there are some local ones here. I hunt north eastern MA and south eastern NH. I've only managed to knock down a couple coyote so far, one while deer hunting and one came in to a wouded rabbit call. Now that deer season is over I hope to get out and call some in.

Anyone haveing any luck lately? I can't seem to get anyting to howl back so far this year but last year I had a few responses that came in so quick they cought me off guard.

Does anyone know of any coyote population density information like they have for deer? I'm wondering if you shoot one out of a patch of woods, how many more might you expect to be in there?

Welcome MA Archer. I do the majority of my hunting over bait and the surrounding trails. According to my trail cams, there always seems to be several Yotes using these trails. I had a litter of 7 on one cam this spring, so I think there is a pretty healthy population. IDK of any population density info, but the jogger shot by the hunter on the Cape is Jonathan Way (Anti)of Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research and he claims to know the numbers and that we need to stop Coyote hunting because their numbers are in danger?????
thumbdown.gif

I quote" Original description of the act: This act is a major event. I believe that Louise and I crafted the world’s first Carnivore Conservation Act. While this is intended for MA, we hope that it is eventually made into a national act, similar to how Raptors and Eagles are protected by special legislation. We are in the early stages and need help with legislators and other people to get the ball rolling on this."

Good luck and post up some pics!

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/worlds-first-carnivore-conservation-act/

Last edited:
I don't think theres a population issue, athough I don't think its as high today as it was 5-8 years ago when there was a winter where I couldn't find a deer track without a coyote track right behind it.

I have to get some trail cam's out. I use them for deer but haven't even thought about using them for coyote!

Originally Posted By: MAArcherI don't think theres a population issue, athough I don't think its as high today as it was 5-8 years ago when there was a winter where I couldn't find a deer track without a coyote track right behind it.

I have to get some trail cam's out. I use them for deer but haven't even thought about using them for coyote!

Oh there is a population problem.Come follow me around some night and I can show you 5 packs in a 10 mile radius.They are all over this state they just are so smart and they catch on to the game they are very quick to learn.our Deer Heard is taking a beating from them.

I agree. It seems like every time you take one, there is another Coyote to take it's place.

They are extremely smart, screw up once and they become educated.

Originally Posted By: ac289fia I agree. It seems like every time you take one, there is another Coyote to take it's place.

They are extremely smart, screw up once and they become educated.

Yuuuuuuup and years down the road they will remember you ohhh there is that clown with the FOXPRO or oh you know the guy sits in that tree stand don't go that way.

Originally Posted By: norbsWhat are the laws on the use of lights in Mass?

No artificial lights and shotgun or 22lr at night we can use nightvision thank god.

Originally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: norbsWhat are the laws on the use of lights in Mass?
No artificial lights and shotgun
or 22lr at night we can use nightvision thank god.

Yup, welcome to "The People's Republic of Massachusetts"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: twhitey

No artificial lights and shotgun or 22lr at night we can use nightvision thank god.

I live a couple miles from the Mass border. I've been thinking about doing some night hunting down there this year also. I have a PVS-14, M845 scope, and a Thermal Eye X-50. All those are ok to use in Mass right? Do IR illuminators fall under artificial lights?

Originally Posted By: norbsOriginally Posted By: twhitey

I live a couple miles from the Mass border. I've been thinking about doing some night hunting down there this year also. I have a PVS-14, M845 scope, and a Thermal Eye X-50. All those are ok to use in Mass right? Do IR illuminators fall under artificial lights?

Yes an Ir is a no go tell me about your thermal eyex50?

Back