Massachusetts predator hunters

I want to wish a very, Merry Christmas to all my fellow Massachusetts hunters.
thumbup1.gif

Just wondering what you guys are running for rigs at night here in the commiewealth? Shotguns with red dots? VR barrel? Ghost rings? Scoped 22s? Irons? Thanks guys.

I was using a scoped 22 but just picked up a 17 HMR and I am in the process of building a DIY Night Vision set up for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ac289fiaI was using a scoped 22 but just picked up a 17 HMR and I am in the process of building a DIY Night Vision set up for it.

I was under the impression that 17hmr is a no go at night because it's based off a 22wmr therefore wouldn't fit in a 22lr chamber.

A 17 Hmr is a No Go at Night.It says the Chamber cannot be larger than a 22lr.

I use a scatter gun with a Aimpoint comp3 dot sight.and a pvs14 mounted on the melon..

Originally Posted By: twhiteyA 17 Hmr is a No Go at Night.It says the Chamber cannot be larger than a 22lr...

I've gotten different answers on that, IDK ....I guess the DIY Night vision goes on the 22 LR then.
thumbdown.gif

NICE JOB ON THE DOUBLE BAYSTATE YOTE!

Last edited:
I had a Mass Game Warden tell me straight up that the .17 Fireball and Remmy were legal, I just nodded knowing he was dead wrong, I was not going to argue..
I guarantee you guys, in twenty years you will not be able to hunt in this state if the present anti hunter and gun culture continues to infect our citizens thinking..

I was told by a VERY reputable source that the previous Director of Wildlife had made a ruling a few years back allowing the 17 HMR.... who the heck knows,
cursing.gif
this is Massachusetts after all.

Last edited:
Still might as well be a pea shooter,I can not stand the thought of a coyote dying a slow death...from the 22LR or 17 HMR.. At least with the shotgun you can hit them when they come in fast,and with some real energy...

Last edited:
Just an FYI. I made a call into MA Environmental Police, 251 Causeway St., Boston, MA and inquired about the .17 HMR for night hunting. The receptionist?? operator?? asked for my name, address and phone number and I was told I would get a call back. Well, I just received a phone call from them and was told YES, the .17 HMR is legal for night time use in MA.
Time to practice my headshots.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Before you get to excited ask another person from that department I bet you get a different answer.Secondly ask it to be put on paper and carry it with you.Third why use a under sized cartridge on them head shots at night are tough not saying you can't do it but you have so much more of a chance with a scatter gun.Please don't take this the wrong way I had a Custom 17 Hmr made for me by Volquartsen customs and moved on after to many spinning off into the next zip code with not a drip of blood.

Once again not trying to rain on your party.

He actually called me from his cell phone, I saved his number for "future" issues.
tongue_smilie.gif

He said what they don't want is guys out at night with 5.56's or 30-06's and other center fire rifles.
unsure.gif

...also, you are not raining on my parade at all. I hunt over bait from tree stands using a night vision scope in a tight swamp. I was using an Aries 238 on my 22LR
thumbdown.gif
but I sold it and am hoping my DIY setup is better?

Last edited:
The only reason I chimed in was when the Hmr came out I did what you did today I called the state and a local warden called me back and I will never forget his comment last I was in high school 17 was smaller than 22 but a Hmr is larger than a 22lr in regards to the Chamber and I went off and running to build a custom Hmr.Then I was at a seminar and had Fish and game stand up and stated Hmr are not legal so I just sold it.Like you said head shots or even perfect heart shot work look at my profile pic that yote is from the maine-Canada border one shot straight through the chest went 2'Drt.

Good luck.......keep us posted on your succes

Just don't ask them Night Vision and Suppressor questions in the same month, you will end up having drones over your house...
scared.gif

Last edited:
I have in writing from a major in the EPO's somewhere stating that 17 hmr is not legal. It's a 22 mad case necked down. 22 lr rim fire is how it was worded only. However he did say I could use a black powder rifle at night. Major Pajak was the guy I talke with via email a few years back.

Back