Homemade Case Spray Lube Recipe

Originally Posted By: BOWLSEYEThis stuff is awesume. 12oz red bottle of Heet with 1oz of liquid lanolin. I will never by case lube again after using this mix.

You can say that again. It is clean and sizes up just fine in the dies. Thank you for sharing this info!

You'll spend vast amounts of money on rifles, scopes and reloading equipment and you're trying to save a few bucks on case lube? Seriously? only on PM Lol

Originally Posted By: GhostmanYou'll spend vast amounts of money on rifles, scopes and reloading equipment and you're trying to save a few bucks on case lube? Seriously? only on PM Lol

Actually, the stuff I make is better than anything store-bought that I have tried. Plus, the convenience factor pushes it right over the top. I lube a full ammo block at a time, or two blocks if I'm loading a bunch of ammo. The alcohol evaporates but the lanolin is still there, and the case neck is perfectly lubed too.

Originally Posted By: fw707I'm just glad I started using Imperial Sizing Wax before I heard about any of these DIY recipes!
lol.gif

I also used Imperial until I started having to lube 1000 cases at a time.... I still have Imperial somewhere in a drawer if I ever need it again.

I now actually use both One Shot for little batches here and there but use the homemade stuff for bigger batches.

I mixed a 4oz bottle of oil to 12oz bottle of 91% alcohol. The brass seems way to slippery to where I have to wipe some off so I don't get dimples when I resize. It also clogs up in spray bottle if it sits for a few days. I don't think this is the normal. The label on the oil says 100% liquid lanolin.
When I have alot of brass to do I put it in a gallon ziplock and a couple spays of solution. When the empty bag sits for a few hours the inside of the bag is stuck to itself.

Got it corrected thanks to Furhunter,I was mixing in way to much oil.

Last edited:
ok guys
I have 2 questions for ya.
1. On YouTube there are two videos for the bootleg case lube
In the link above the guy is using the home health liquid lanolin pure emollient oil.
In the other the guy is using the now foods 100% pure liquid lanolin. Are these two products the same?
I can get the home health at wall mart.
By my research lanolin is a solid at room temp and the oil is not so this leads me to believe that there the same. What do you guys say or use?
2. Would this case lube also make a good water puffer for your guns when hunting in the wet
thanks in advance
Ace
P.S. oh I guess that's 3 questions sorry lol

Grouse:

Buy a tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax and forget about any homemade stuff. A can lasts a lifetime, and anything else hardly merits 28 responses here. Course' if one has to spray lube on cases...invent away!

Funny...I went to Amazon and checked out Liquid Lanolin. The most common item bought WITH the lanolin is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. I will be making some of this for large batch resizing.

Ive been using Marvel mystery oil for a few years now. I ran out of case lube and decided what the heck been using it ever since.

I use the lanolin spray with alcohol. I set out hundreds at a time on a towel, three squeezes, roll them around and let dry for 5 mins. Resize and done. Must easier than doing one at a time.

Best regards,

Grub

I mixed up some and it worked great on my 223 brass then tried to size my 6.5-284 would not work wanted to stick the brass in the die so went back to imperial sizing wax,do not know why it would not work on the bigger brass?

Then there is this post from another site:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293530

"Called RCBS again yesterday, and sent them an e-mail regarding the stuck .223. Explained that out of the thousands of rifle rounds I've loaded, the ONLY stuck cases I've had have been as of very recent--when I decided to give Imperial a try."

Here is the response from RCBS--

Quote:
Hi Jeff:
Return the die to us and we will remove the stuck case and replace any
damaged components. You want to avoid lube that is wax based or has any
wax products in the ingredients. 95% of the stuck cases we get back
here are due to wax based lube.

What happens is that the wax builds up inside the die and is like rubber
cement in there and the cases will get stuck every time. Your die is
under warranty and there is no problem sending it back to us. Have a
great day!

I think the biggest problem with any lube is using too much, and not keeping the dies clean. The Lee dies I have will sometimes "plug off" the vent hole with lube. I use the lanolin/alcohol diy stuff. Just my .02

I watched the vid but I just dont get how the mix get's on all those cases and inside the case mouth.Is this good for full length or just neck sizing?

I finally tried the home made lube. I used a bottle of Heet and one ounce of liquid lanolin. Today I FL sized some 7.62 cases and ran some 5.56 cases through a 6x45 SB die. It all worked great. I can not imagine buying commercial case lube again.

Back