KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

I sent in my authorized purchase receipt for the FLIR M-324XP Pan/Tilt thermal marine video camera to their rebate program and they immediately sent me my rebate check for almost 20% off the purchase of the entire setup including the computerized microprocessor joystick controller and the HD Color Video screen!

What a freaking great deal this instrument is with their rebate on top of it all.

FLIR%20324%20On%20Honda%20in%20Woods.jpg

ME%20FLIR%20M%20Series.jpg

Rebate%20Check.jpg

I am glad that I got the 336 Tau2 core for this unit instead of the 640X512 core because I can detect virtually everything over 3/4 of a mile with no problem.

The 640 core was another $4k and would not have added any detection distance or range, just would have better ID.

But I don't need ID when I am cruising around picking things up.

Thank You FLIR!!!

Pull in the driveway after a long night out hunting and there is a coyote sitting on my tool box on the truck in the carport!

Coyote%20On%20Truck.jpg

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVC[beeep], a day time shot from you?? You even know how to shoot during the day?
tt2.gif

Vic

I suspect it was an accidental discharge... Fortunately it appears he had it aimed the right way... SP is a hawg killin' machine... apparently even by accident... LOL

The FLIR M-325 Pan/Tilt thermal camera and the FLIR T-70 are a deadly combination!

I was out on a feeder for two hours keeping it covered and watching all the deer and coons all over it and drove the Honda Pioneer UTV back the three mile ride to the house after dark. As I round the last curve headed for my house I saw a large hog about 300 yards ahead of me on the side of the forest trail grade in the FLIR M-324. Shut off the engine and doused the Larson Electronics RED LED super blaster headlamp and turned on the T-70 and took one shot below his ear from the driver's seat @ 175 yards with my SIG 556 and IMI 77 grain Razor ammo. He did not seem to notice the super bright red led at all....

Hog dropped dead with a severed spine at the nape of his neck, wish I had turned on the video as it would have been a great thermal video kill, he weighed 325 pounds....

Big%20Black%20Front.jpg

Big%20Black%20Hondini.jpg

Big%20Black%20Hondini%20Front.jpg

Big%20Black%20Side.jpg

SP,

You are probably one of the best people around to evaluate how useful a FlirOne would be for a hunter that only could afford one thermal core.

I just looked at several FlirOne videos on youtube and although it looks really interesting and somewhat useful the limited range and small lens seem to limit it's usefulness to a hunter. The ranges I'm seeing discussed are "15 ft for temp, 50' identification (seeing a human shape or making out the animal form) and 100' spotting distance (blob of color being heat)"

Does that agree with your experience?

BTW... For the technologically challenged that wonder what exactly a FlirOne is... Try this link...
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462176,00.asp?kc=PCRSS05039TX1K0000750

Wanna buy one? This is the only place I could find them for sale...
http://shop.flir.com/dp/B00K0PXFB6

$bob$

Last edited:
Technically, a 60X80 thermal Lepton core is not going to give you much use in hunting besides limited detection and tracking finding downed game.

Under ideal circumstances, low humidity and temps in the 40-50's, you could possibly detect a mammal the size of a hog or human out to 100 yards, but that would just be a hot spot with no possible ID. Under less than ideal conditions that range would be limited to about 25 yards.

I just got mine last night, so will get accustomed to it shortly but as a long range thermal hunting device anyone with any thermal knowledge and experience will know its limitations.

At dusk, I was able to see out to the tree line out back 225 yards to my game cam tree but there were only a couple of squirrels on my feeder.

There is new software and firmware being written for it, but it is NOT a Tau2 or Quark core with a 35mm lens, although prototype FLIRONEs with the much more powerful and expensive cores and lenses have already been designed for military use. If there is enough interest and sales of the current Lepton units, FLIR may make those available to the civilian market.

HOT FLIRONE Thermal Hog Kill, single headshot 200 yards:

First%20Hog%20Iron.JPG

First%20Hog%20Rainbow.JPG

Had not even had this nice instrument for an entire 24 hour period and already the swine are chilling....
scared.gif

Bob. If you're thinking about using one of these as a thermal scanner while hunting you can forget about it. Stand in a dark room and turn your iPhone on and look in a mirror and you will see that you are very well lit up.

How successful do you think you would be hunting at night and turning a flashlight on yourself?

As Skypup pointed out.....I can see it being used for finding downed game but that's about it.

It certainly can be used for finding downed game, but as a hunting detection device it is limited.

The hog I shot last night blood trail lit up like a neon light and I could see each and everyone of my footprints behind me leading up to him.

Here is a video of a human walking out 75 yards, which is very good for a tiny 60X80 Lepton core FLIRONE, but limited in scanning ability. Certainly better than nothing at all at night though....

I was surprized ithe Flir1 did as well as it did considering it's essentially just an iphone case with a couple of lenses and a few other things.

As an urban fun gadget I can see it being a big seller but as Gman said, it would have limited use for an outdoorsman and or hunter.

I've narrowed my scanner choices down to a PS32 or to take the leap and get one with a bigger lens, more magnification, video capability, and that can double as a weapon sight such as an RS32x35mm.

I expect to make a decision in the next week or two. If anyone has used thermals they want to sell please PM me... New prices are stretching my hunting budget... LOL

$bob$

Back