25-06 loads for thumping on coyotes

cowpoke

What are folks liking for assembling loads for long distance coyote thumping with the 25-06?

I am looking to pick one up in the next little while.

I am not concerned about hide damage. Hides around here are not worth much to begin with.

I am thinking maybe the sierra 90 grain bthp, or perhaps a nosler ballistic tip?

I like the Sierra 90gr HPBT and the Speer 100gr Varmint HP really puts the hammer on them. My Remington 700 likes a stiff load of IMR 4350 with either one. The Speers are wicked accurate. The Speer Varmints do make a mess out of them. Not at all fur friendly, but dead is dead.

I shoot Hornady's 87 SP in my 24" barreled Remington Sendero. Very accurate but 300-400 yards would be a long shot for me. Will hammer a coyote. Sierra 90 gr. Blitzking or Nosler's 90 gr. BT's are great long range bullets.
edited: like corrected in following posts, Nosler's Ballistic Tip is 85 grains. Some shoot the same bullets, 100 grains or more for all their shooting from deer to varmints.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JellyCannon Nosler don't make a 90gr Ballistic Tip in .257....

Nope they dont, but Nosler does make a darn fine 85gr BT
wink.gif

That's all I run for coyotes out of the 25-06

One projectile I havent heard much about is the 85gr CT Ballistic Silvertip. Also keep in mind that if you want to shoot long distances BC really does matter as it retains it's energy further, for comparison's sake a Speer 87gr TNT .310, Nosler 85gr BT has a BC of .329, Sierra 90gr Blitking .388, Speer 100gr BTSP .393, Nosler 100gr E-Tip .409, Nosler 110gr AccuBond .418, Nosler 115gr BT .453, Sierra 117gr SBT .410, and Speer 120gr BTSP .480.

Don't get too caught up in bullet bc. It can be important, but it's all about that booger behind the trigger. If he doesn't have the experience and equipment along with proper trigger time to take advantage of high bc, it can be all for not.

I've done it, but why shoot 100 grainers or less....you can do that with a 243 or a good 257 Bob. I think the 25-06 comes into its own when you push heavier slugs at longer distances. Try a 115gr Nosler ballistic tip at 600yds plus

I would try a few differant bullets to see which one shoots the best and work from there. If your in the wind I would go with 100 or 115 grain Nosler B/Ts. I've used the Hornady 75 vmax out to 425 yds. but I have had mixed results in the size of the wound. All died, no run offs and it seems to depend on where you hit them as with other caliber/bullets. The 100 NBT seem to be more predictable and puts them down hard.

I would go with 90 grain and bigger that shoots the fastest, flatest, and most accurate.

Great caliber choice.

My favorites for anything smaller than deer are the nosler 85 gr or the sierra 90 gr blitzking in the 25-06. These 2 bullets perform like nothing you've seen. Everything i've shot with these have been one shot kills. You will not get a richochet with these as they disintegrate when they hit.

Because this cartridge has some recoil i've never seen the hit through the scope, but you can hear them when they hit.

I have not had good luck with 75 gr bullets as they lose a lot of energy fast.

The 100 gr nosler bt is a good all around bullet but a bit of overkill for smaller game.

Whichever bullet you pick happy hunting.

Originally Posted By: bcwhit100 Gr sierra pro hunter, for anything you would hunt with a 25-06.

Same bullets comboed with REM 9 1/2 primers and IMR4350. Deadly on coyotes!!!

I do shoot the 120 sierras, the only heavy grain that the gun seems to like that I tried so far. The gun seems to like the 80-90 weight pills way better brand don't seem to matter that much. Yet it won't shoot the really light things either. Good luck.

Another vote here for the relatively new .257 Sierra 90 BK's. I found gold with this one in a buddy's 25-06 using IMR-4350 about .020 off. If I were to try any other powder with these, it would probably be H4831sc. This is a GREAT varmint bullet though, and will get it done for you wayyyyyy out there.

Originally Posted By: JellyCannon One projectile I havent heard much about is the 85gr CT Ballistic Silvertip.

The CT 85 gr. and the Nosler 85 gr. are the same bullet. The
CT has a proprietary coating, the Nosler does not. Both shoot
well in my Tikka M-695 25-06 Rem. These bullets will do
some impressive damage. They cut rabbits and feral cats in
half, with proper bullet placement.
grin.gif
Coyotes
usually drop like a sack a dirt, or drag themselves a bit,
minus body chunks, on marginal hits. This bullet is not
for the squeamish!

Squeeze

Back