Casting and Blasting With Al Morris

Ursus21

Through a series of unexpected events I had the good fortune to share what I have in Montana with Al Morris. (For those that don't know he's a 3 time World Champion Coyote Caller, the former Hunter's Specialties/Johnny Stewart video host, and is currently Fox Pro's video front man on the Fur Takers outdoor show.) I won't go into all the details about how he ended up here, as it would take too long. However I will say that just 3 days ago I'd never personally spoke to Al, nor had I ever actually seen him person anywhere. Hope it won't be that way in the future as I don't care what anyone says, HE IS GREAT COMPANY!

We coyote hunted, and fished, and had the time of our lives. Mostly the trip was to get his young decoy dogs on coyotes. Al is brand new to it, and it was my first time ever hunting over dogs. We both learned a lot. Man, when things go right with decoy dogs, it's beyond extra cool is all I can say.

On our first morning stand Al called in this double for me. The dogs really made a difference as the coyotes were totally focused on the dogs, and not me. I hate to admit it, but I was using a new rifle and actually missed the male once. He ran off a few hundred yards and came back because of the dogs. He gave me a second chance and I made it a last chance.
TroyCoyote6-5-14B_zpsa44bf45a.jpg

On the next stand we had 5 coyotes come in at once. I picked one out, killed it, and coyotes scattered every which direction, and never offer another shot. Here I am with Al's dogs and one ugly dead coyote.
TroyCoyote6-5-14C_zps57d92103.jpg

The wind picked up after this stand so we went fishing. I can truly say that it's hard to find a man any happier than what Al is when he's reeling in a fish. He really loves it.
AlMorris6-5-14B_zps8c8a5f3a.jpg

Al with one of many really nice browns. He also caught a couple brookies and rainbows, but the browns were the most fun and common.
AlMorris6-5-14K_zps109005b5.jpg

Since Al is a considerably better coyote hunter than I am, I couldn't have him whip me at everything. I ended up with the best fish of the day.
wink.gif

Troy6-5-14E_zps9a776ef1.jpg

Over two days (basically two mornings and two evenings...not all day long) we called up 19 coyotes, killed a few, and had a blast catching fish inbetween. If you ever get a chance to spend any time in the field with Al Morris, I would highly recommend jumping at the chance. He's a for real and down to earth person. No over infated ego problem whatsoever. In fact I'm still amazed at just what a really good guy he is and was to hang out with for a couple of days. He knows how to call coyotes, his championships are no fluke. I think this photo of Al says it all. He had just released his biggest fish and we decided to call it quits for the day. I asked him if he was having any fun in Montana and this was his quick response.

AlMorris6-5-14M_zps048e2776.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is great! Nothing better than a cast and blast! My two favorite tools, a rifle and a fly rod.
Wade on brother:)

I gotta a chance to spend a few days with Al a month ago. Great guy! I'll have to ask him the secret to going hunting with you and see if I can get so lucky!

Last edited:
Troy, that sounds like a good time for sure.

Redjaw, if you get a chance to hunt with Troy, a lot of what he says about Al, holds true for Troy as well. I've had the pleasure of hunting with him a few times, and those trips still remain at the top of my hunting adventures. Not because of the game, but because of the company.

Ursus

Thanks again for a great read. I keep coming back to this. Brown trout and yotes... Man... Good stuff. I turned down a cast in blast in Montana a week ago, I wish I wouldn't have!

Switch is right on the call, Troy is good company for sure...The calling was amazing, the fishing was second to none I have ever experienced as well as the time spent with good people......Tim get your butt out to MT and hunt with Troy
smile.gif
...Thanks for the pics and I know I will get back up there ASAP......

I have to admit we both had more fun than should be allowed in 2 days, but we'll take it. I do have to thank BigRedFox (Matt Piippo) as without him none of this would have happened. Thanks big guy!

Back