Baiting

swenor I found some info and pictures on pages 82 155 100 and 99. I bought a Dakota alert which works great,comes with long range and volume control no need to modify.

Swenor,

I use the Driveway Patrols with a lot of success. I have 4 of them at the bait site, though I really don't need
that many. I just like to have the area covered well so that nothing gets through without being detected.

Three of the four sensors at the bait site are set up just as they come out of the box, except that I spray
painted them to try to add a bit of camo rather than have the white being so easily seen.

Put a small piece of tape over the LED to keep it from illuminating when an animal trips it. I use black electrician's tape.

I have found it best to position the sensors about one foot (12 inches) off the ground. That seems to detect better for me.

One of the sensors has an external wire added to serve as an antenna. DoubleUp modified that one for me
since I'm not sure how to do it. The sensor was then placed in a small plastic box to keep the weather out.
The antenna serves to extend the detection range.

To use a headphone or ear bud, you need to open up the case, clip the two wires that run to the internal speaker.
Then, drill a hole in the face place and run the wires out. You will need to solder an additional length of wire to
have enough length. At the end, solder a 3.5mm female adapter that will allow headphones or ear bud to plug into.

The receiver also has an added antenna. I actually have two receivers in my cabin, one mounted above the head
of my bed, and the other on the wall near my shooting table. That way I can monitor them better and not have to
move them about. The sensors work well at my 60 yard bait site without the antenna. If your site will be further
away, the antenna would be a good idea, but you may need to test them in the field to see how far they might
work without an antenna.

You will need an in-line volume control to lessen the volume output. The volume coming from the receiver is ear-piercing,
just way too loud. This little volume control easily goes between the 3.5mm female adapter and the headphones. It allows
you to adjust the volume to a more comfortable level. I got the volume control on Ebay.

As to modifying the antenna, I'm not much help with that, but maybe DoubleUP will join in soon and give a good explanation.
I know he did a post on that earlier, but I'm not sure what page it it's on.

Other notes: The transmitter uses a 9-volt battery and it lasts quite a while in the field. I have used them over two months,
almost three months before they need to be replaced. The receiver uses 3 C-cell batteries. Those don't last as long, so what
I do is to remove one of the batteries when the unit is not in use, and replace it when I'm ready to hunt. That will extend the
life of the batteries.

The sensors sometimes accidentally go off during the daytime. Could be heat from the sun causing the problem. But, at night
time, if the sensors go off, you can bet that some animal tripped it.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the help, se what i can do now
smile.gif
.. The red fox are going to get it hard when this is finisht

SweNor, be sure to keep us posted about your bait site. We all like good photos too.

Good luck with the red fox.

How far will you be shooting at your site?

I have also been using the driveway sensors over bait. We raise pigs here in illinois and usually have a steady supply of food for them. I have killed three this year so far and it makes you respect the coyotes way more because of there hearing alone. My bait pile is about 200 yards back behind our pig barn and just getting to it in the hard crunchy snow is quite a trick. The other trick is seeing them at night in the dark without night vision or a full moon. Last night i actually had two almost sneek up along side of me without seeing them.

You have a few years on me but, I wouldn't mind hunting in comfort. I am considering a ground blind that could also be used for turkey. Keep the wind away, hide my movements and perhaps reduce scent. I'm planning on talking to a butcher in a local grocery, get scraps, let them ferment a bit, then put them out with a camera for a few days. Once I get some sense of when they show, I can pick a good time.

Tim T.

Here's one working my bait site. I didn't get to check my camera for a couple weeks because there was no place to park because of the narrow road.

He might have already froze to death.

I heard a coyote howling close tonight.It looks like they or it found the dead deer thats been there since dec.1st.The bobcat was eating on it all afternoon two days ago.Dont know if I want to shoot anything as there is so little around.

I finally have eagles and ravens eating after none of them showing since mid Nov. I think the snow is still too deep and soft in the open areas for the yotes to venture out to the bait. I have seen yote tracks elsewhere in the woods where they stay on top. Dreamer

I stayed at the cabin again last night. No coyotes, but had a gray fox show up and steal some bait.
He got a pass, but I did get some video of him while using the home-made night vision.

Distance was about 60 yards. I used the LLT-001 illuminator, 850nm.

Click the photo to see the video.

THAT FOX AT 60Y PRESENTS WELL AT THAT MAGNIFICATION [SIZE WISE]
FOR TAKING THE SHOT.
Not only do you possess great patients but also constraint.

As a landowner, I can take fox anytime of year if I want to. But, I really have no desire to shoot them now. But, they can be a nuisance by stealing coyote bait and keep the alarm pinging all night and disturbing my beauty rest. LOL.

After I videoed the fox for a bit, I realized he was going to get all the bait if I didn't stop him. I opened the cabin door and lit him up with a bright, white light. He left but came back shortly afterwards. After he came and went three or four times, I lit him up and yelled at him. He stayed gone the rest of the night, but returned last night. He doesn't seem to be too scared - or perhaps it could be a different fox.

The 6x scope setting seems to be just about right at 60 yards for some serious shooting. I do lose a bit of field-of-view, but at a bait site it's not much of a problem. Calling would probably require a lower setting.

eagles and crows hitting regularly. Got warm here and stiffened up the snow. Sensor woke me up the other night 4 yotes roaming around at one time at bait. basically passing through. Last night 2 yotes. I'm concerned about shooting one and not getting a shot at the others, in other words spooking the others. Dreamer

Back