Baiting

Does anyone think it would be better using using both mixed together or would this mess up the recipe too bad? Novice coyote hunter here and all ears! Originally Posted By: blusamI am using fish food through a Moultrie feeder designed for fish food. Sure that the fish food would work well in a regular deer feeder. Some dog food and cat food does not work well.

Davey O, mix and match won't hurt as far as baiting. Now if you're using a feeder, then some types of food might not dispense, but if putting out by hand you can use all manner of combinations of what you have available.

Mackvallk1,

Welcome to the forums.

You are right, there is content here, good content, lots of sharing of techniques, setup, how-to etc. But also, there's some really decent guys on this forum.

We hope you enjoy and participate in this forum.

6mm, there were a few chunks in the mix, and some loose guts, but mostly the carcasses. I went out this afternoon to check on the camera and the bait. Over two days I got over 800 pictures of a bunch of buzzards feasting, a shot of the coyote again, and several possums. I got a surprise, too:

This one came in and was checking things out early this morning. One of the guys that I let deer hunt said he saw one during muzzle loader season, and I've heard one squalling before. Scared the stuffing out of me the first time I heard it.

I also got a few pics of a deer hound sniffing around, and then rolling in the dead stuff. I'd love to have seen the expression on that guys face when he put that dog back in the truck.

Doubleup, thanks for the reply back. I was planning on mixing together cat and dog food in cans Thinking the cat food with more fish in it would work. Wish I had more fresh kills but with a deminishing deer population this year on my father's lease in Alabama we are not shooting does this year and bucks only 6 point or better, Dad's rules lol.

Davey O, they'll eat most anything including each other, coyotes that is. With the winter even in Fla. they'll be looking for more protein and eating more meat. In summer, they'll eat watermelons, pears, apples, tomatoes, and probably other plants and fruits as well. You'll do fine with your mixture I'm sure. The last one to visit my bait hit Ol' Roy dry dog food mixed with Hardee's sawmill gravy. He was a southern coyote.
smile.gif

6mm, DoubleUp, now that you mention it, that does look like a good size cat... Looking at the pics of the yote and the cat side by side, they look to be close to the same size. The cat is a little closer to the camera, but their heads are in just about the same location. I wonder how much his hide is worth... I'm hoping that the harvesting begins soon.

The rain lets up soon, too. The ground out there was already soft, but it's turning into a bit of a "dead soup" out there right now. Could be worse, though. Could be snow.

Cozwurth,

I contacted a local fur buyer just recently, questioning prices. He isn't sure just yet how much fur will bring this year, but said he would know soon. He quoted me last year's prices, and stated that he expects similar. A large bobcat brought about $125, with $75 being an average. That's not what they are getting out west by a long shot, that's for eastern bobcats. Gray fox last year was bringing $35, and reds from $40-50, but reds are more prone to rub and also not as likely to be a #1 skin, thereby pushing them into a lower grade. Grays will be the money makers in the long-run.

I don't know how this buyer's prices might compare to someone else. He's a middle man like so many are, so naturally he will get his share.

So i have a unique baiting method for these winter coyotes. I use a baitsicle. I save all my scrap, guts, skins, and scrap bits of meat from other predators I shoot. I cut it up and put it into a 5gal bucket and mix with water, stale bread and anything else I have left over or has been freezer burnt. I put a peace of rope tide to a piece of pvc pipe and so that I have something to anchor it to.
WLCdEuY.jpg

Proof is in the pudding...

w76dGxa.jpg

Pby8Xbd.jpg

Best thing to do with your baitsicle like a lot of guys on here do is when you freeze it for the first time put a PVC pipe in the center of it. Then pound a PVC pipe in the ground vertical at your bait site and drop your baitsicle onto the pipe. This method works great for me.

I've learned a lot from this thread and started baiting as a result of it. I'm beginning to see more coyotes coming but the y seem too be coming in at irregular times and on different days. It's very random making it difficult to hunt. Going to try the driveway alarm as well as pressure baiting. Amy other ideas on how to get them to come in more regularly? Also i've noticed that cooked meat seems to get eaten before the raw meat. Anyone else experienced this?

Jlc, welcome. I see you have been a member for a while, but just haven't posted much. Hopefully this forum will keep your interest. Be sure to share your experiences.

As to your coyotes coming in at irregular times and different days, well, that's the story here too. It is indeed difficult to hunt them when that happens.

The last coyote I shot was September 24. Since that time, a coyote has visited only twice, then it's off and gone until the next time, whenever that might be. I have to stay at the cabin (which is about one mile from my home) in order to hunt. When a coyote hits the bait, I try my best to hunt the following night, but I can't always due to family matters or weather. When a coyote pulls a one-night-stand, it's really difficult to hunt it.

I have put out leftovers - cooked meat, chicken scraps etc, but haven't noticed any difference in what a coyote gets first. Actually, I have put out cut up deer scraps along with cooked meat and can't tell any difference. Who know, maybe your coyotes prefer their meals cooked. LOL.

The Driveway alarm is about the only way you will be successful at a bait site. It's impossible to stay up all night and continuously be looking for a coyote. Best thing is to get some rest and let the alarm do the work for you.

Good luck. Keep us posted, along with good photos of course.

Jlc, glad to you have you posting. We'll be looking to follow your progress so keep us informed. Seems that baiting in general must be slow so far this winter as not a lot of pictures of kills from some of the guys who are usually whacking them. You will definitely need some type of alarm system. Let us know if we can help with future questions. We like pictures of course.

Here's a short video of the last one on my bait. Unfortunately he has returned only once since then.

She was back last night. Munching out on a diet of Old Roy dogfood mixed with ham grease and renderings. Pretty sure this is strictly a southern coyote.

Now I just have to convince her to come at a more acceptable hour.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Man I hadn't thought of that. Any trick for keeping the crows away...I currently use .223 but their are just to many of them.

When I first set up my bait site for the year the crows are all over it. But after they get shot at a few times they tend to stay away. You just have to bite the bullet and squeeze some hot loads off at them till they get the message.

Back