your trapping routine

mmtx10

1.So how often do you rebait a set?
2.Do you trap from your truck, atv, foot?
3.Do you use lure, bait, and urine?
4.Do you skin and put up your fur as you catch it or do you have a put up party before a sale?

any pictures of your atv setup or skinning rig?

1. I rebait about every 5 to 10 days depending on the weather
2. I use both my truck and my atv
3. use all three. I like to use O'Gormans Cat Passion and Powder River Cat Call along with a few other things.
4. I skin and flesh as I catch. Then pick a weekend that I have free time and put up as much as I can.

I do almost exactly as you do.
I use alot of O'gorman lures.
I also only use fox urine at all my sets.

ATV

Skinning RIG

1.I try to every 5 days,
2.Truck, foot, for several years snowmobile for 2 months, it blew up. Long walk back.
3.Lure,urine, very seldom bait
4.Skin at the set, bladder comes out and put in cage. Skin in plastic bag and spray it for fleas at the truck.
Flesh and stretch the same day usually sometimes in the fridge for if no time, for a day or two.

I use O'Gorman scent will try the stuff Mercer has available this year to see how it works here!

Where does the carcass go with you guys?? !!!

I had a carcass pile that I was putting them all in but this year I think that I will put within a hundred yards of my sets to get the birds and what not in the area. After reading Hoof beats of a Wolfer again I see O'gorman does this and want to try it out. I will not leave my cats there though just the coyotes.

I had a pile last season that was a few miles from my line. I pulled up to it one day and caught a glimpse of something to my left. I grabbed the rifle from my truck and took off the see what it was. Popped over some brush and saw a cat. let the lead fly and had a downed cat all in about 30 seconds.

Don't know if it was a coincidence or he was there because my pile was there. Leaning towards the latter I might move my pile this year.

The only thing that worries me about having a pile of skinned critters all in one place is some bunny hugger finding it and throwing a fit. I can read the headlines now. So I try to keep then in a well hidden place.

I do know that there is not much of a cat left when I'm done with it. Even less this season due to the new lower jaw law.

HaHA tell the bunny huggers "Look how many bunnies I saved by killing these dasteredly predators".
I am sure the cat was there because of the bird activity, and smell.
I have left my carcasses by my traps before reading O'Gormans 'Hoofbeats", good read,
This is one of my best tools for catching multiple cats at 1 set in short order. I have caught as many as 8 cats on one set in two weeks time. Needless to say the pile was big and had tons of activity which is a huge draw for any predator. I leave it 10 to 15 feet from my set, in the open,if the snow dosen't cover it the birds are there in a day.

Last edited:
I wish it was that easy to reason with those kinds of people. Im sure Mercer is all to familiar with that.

So when you leave your skinny at the trap location do you still put a quarter in the cage?

Another little trick that I started doing is using clothes pins at my sets. Make resetting really fast. Just dip the clothes pin in lure of choice and clip it wherever you want. Super cheap and alot better than dealling with lure capsules or Q-tips.

Mason

I guess I'm lucky in regard to huggers although the few that I have dealt with left in disgust, since I left them no arguing points for lack of a better word. I have very low tolerance for any of them and it shows badly!!
I was taught you can't argue with an idiot, so I give them facts on their level, like do they eat meat, where did they get it, throw so much at them they just stammer and sputter!!
See you got me started haha!!

No I do not put anything in just it's bladder, in places where I am close to a well traveled road and may have theft then I probably would.

I use the ole stick stand by (always have one laying around the set) for scenting dig out about a nickel size glob and put it in the middle, a little squirt of urine. Ready to go!!

I use the ol stick as well. Especially for the original set but in the instance that the cage is really brushed in and I dond want to just throw a stick in the back of the cage I like the clothes pins. You can clip it on the brush above the set (foot hold or cage) or clip it on the the back.

I have never run into anybody on my line and dont ever want to. Sounds like you send them away feeling dumb though.

here is the fleshing beam i made, it folds up flat like and ironing board. I am going to modify it to mount to the stinger of the truck so i can do the fleshing in the field now that i moved into a condo.

Here is my skinning rig. it's nice to be able to put down the tailgate. Also I am going to get rid of the chain and replace with a rope and pulley so that i can lower it and raise it to comfort. It's a 10' piece of 1 3/4 tube, that is .120 wall and a 12" piece of 1 1/2? I drilled the hole at one end for the pin in the trailer hitch, then used an angle grinder to cut wedges out and bent it to touch and tacked it in place, and then did the same for the other bends, and when i was done I cut in half and had the smaller piece put inside and took it to a muffler shop and then welded up for me. Simple and cheap.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I really like the fleshing board but especially like the skinning pole. I wanted to add my two cents. I made my own fleshing board twice now. I tend to nick it all up and this adds to my damage to pelts(makes holes). I was discussing this with my buddy who is a taxidermist. He told me the best news about fleshing...use a pressure washer. I started laughing, but go to you-tube and you will find videos on fleshing with a pressure washer. If I understand correctly, you must use a zero degree oscillating tip. It appears to strip the fat and tissue clean off. Just a suggestion. I like being in the skinning shed but when I have had a good run, it makes for a long night doing all that fleshing. Hope it helps. Good luck this winter!

Back