KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

Was out in the backyard tonight in the rain dialing in my LASTAC-2 IR laser on my Ruger 10-22 bull barrel when I picked up three thermal signatures on my FLIR LS-64 about 275 yard out behind my barn. Went in and picked up my SIG 716 with handloaded 7.62mmX51mm Barnes 130 grain TSX and the FLIR T-50 and went out to see if I could put a hurting on some swine.

Three nice boars were rooting deep in a pond surrounded by tall grass, so i put the ACOG crosshairs on the head of one, pulled the trigger @ 175 meters and he immediately disappears, no thermal signature or anything????

Watched the other two high tail it up out of the water through the grass and start running off towards the pine forest canopy, put the crosshairs on the shoulder of one dude @ 225 meters and took the shot and he drops in his tracks and does not even move or squeal.

Rode the 4-Wheeler out to to furthest one and he was DOA with his spinal cord severed in front of the shoulder, looked into the pond area to see the other one with the FLIR LS-64 and nothing????

Drove the 4-Wheeler down into the bottomless muck and could not see anything and finally I see an ear sticking up out of the water! Wrapped a 50 foot 1/2" rope around his head buried in the water and thick mud and dragged him up to the other one. He was shot through the ear and died immediately too.

Dressed the two nice boars out and only lost about two pounds of meat between the two of the, about 350-400 pounds of pork, real nice loins too....

First%20T-50.jpg

T50%20Double.jpg

Grapple.jpg

Exit%20Wound.jpg

Some biggin's right there! Nice shooting SkyPup!

Some pics of the Sunday morning bacon is welcomed! Thick slabs anyone! Geez.

Vic

P.S. So that one piggy was acting like a fish and was still alive when you dragged him up?

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVC
P.S. So that one piggy was acting like a fish and was still alive when you dragged him up?

NOT with the .308 through his ear, instant kill and not a spec of meat damage whatsoever.

Strange as it sounds, after cleaning everything up and putting the meat on ice, I was winding down at 2:30 AM and getting ready for bed when I looked out again with the FLIR LS-64 and another large boar was out there.....I was too beat to take him on in the rain, but he will be back for sure again. It was as dark as dark could possibly be, raining like mad, the FLIR Thermals worked like a charm.

Eagles are now dining on fresh pork too....

Originally Posted By: Gman757
Here's your next project Skypup.......post some pics of yours when you get it set up.
thumbup1.gif

FsJ82eF.jpg

Hey that looks sweet Gman!
lol.gif

all I would need to do is get tracks and a gatling gun mounted on my gator!
laugh.gif

Skypup, with as many hogs as you shoot, I am surprised that you go to the trouble of skinning and gutting them out. Right now, I can't do squat. Not even supposed to bend over and touch the floor.

When I was killing a lot of them, I used the Glenn Guess method (over on Predator Masters) and could easily dress 2 in a little over one hour, by myself. I never gutted any, but had the most usable (desired) meat on ice quickly.

I am sure you are able to use much more meat than I would, but, especially in hot weather, you've got 'em on ice quick.

Those are some fat hogs. Good shooting!

I graduated from veterinary school a long time ago and still possess plenty of butchering skills and knives, the Glenn Guess is a good method but I pretty much have my own procedure that I follow.

One of these boars went to the St.Frances House, a Catholic Charity and the other to the Salvation Army, we kept the tenderloins though.

It is allot of work cleaning them out. Heck it was lots of work just getting them into the barn, if these had not been at my place with all the tractor powered hydraulics we probably could not have retrieved them had we just been hiking out to our stands. I had the four wheeler up to the axles in mud getting one of them out of the pond at night in the dark and was raining.

One thing is for sure, no one is starving around here!

you are a dedicated man Skypup and I am sure there are many that appreciate your generosity. having the property and the tools are just part of it.
thumbup1.gif

Skypup,

That is cool. I have approached charitable organizations locally, as well as my church, that does a fantastic job of outreach in the immediate community and the charities refuse.

May possibly be county ordinances, or whatever. They don't know what they're missing.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupHere is the pictorial story of the LASTAC 0.1mW IR laser compared to the DBAL-D2 0.7mW IR laser close up @ 30 yards and @ 175 yards to show the major decrease in bloom associated with the use of the LDI Neutral Density Filter on a 0.7mW IR laser footprint:

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20NO%20Filter%2030%20Yards.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20Filter%2030%20yards.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20D2%20175%20Yards%20NO%20Filter.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20D2%20Filter%20175%20Yards.jpg
I got my Dbal-d2 IR laser filter a couple weeks ago from TNVC, and I got to try it out on a lil outing last night. Skypup always has great pictures illustrating the differences. Man that laser is a pinpoint dot looking through my helmet mounted PVS-14. Thanks guys

That is the BEST laser system I have used and with the illuminator and the neutral density filter, nothing walks away from it at night either...
grin.gif

The weather is warming up here in central Ohio. Will I have trouble seeing the heat signatures from my FLIR ps32 at night when the temp is around 70 or so? School is about out for the summer and my hunting partner will be able to stay out later.

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnThe weather is warming up here in central Ohio. Will I have trouble seeing the heat signatures from my FLIR ps32 at night when the temp is around 70 or so? School is about out for the summer and my hunting partner will be able to stay out later.

The thermals work during the day or night, you will have to get out and try it to see for yourself.

It is more challenging for them right after sundown when the temperatures are cooling off, once things have cooled down a couple of hours after sunset they work even better.

I live in Florida where it is obviously very hot and humid and without my thermal scanners we would be missing quite a bit.

Back