Coyote hunting questions?

Woods&Water

Hey guys im new at this but i got 3 questions. I hunt in Pennsylvania for coyotes. First is when i go out should i start my calling set with coyote vocals or distresses this time of year? Second when will the coyotes start having pups? Third is when should i use fawn in distress? Advice needed!

I can answer a couple if ur hunting in a area were u can take bobcats foxes start with a distress call like rabbit then switch to vocals .here recently fawn distress been working in my area. I'm not talking about a baby fawn just regular fawn. Fawn can be used year around. But when deer start having fawns i would switch to baby fawn. Lets say u use rabbit distress a lot in a area switch to fawn or bid distress as soon as I switched I had a immediate responce. I was using rabbit a lot. But everyone has there own opinion this is just mine. Not real sure about the pups id say around may.

To find a bobcat is harder to find then people think around here. Foxes? Most of the foxes arent around now (atleast i never called one in using distress calls) but seems like coyotes ran them off. I tried fawn distress once this hole year. Not baby. Problem were having is getting them to yell back. Got one spot that has active dens (trail cam) but they dont come out to respond. Anyways Thanks

I haven't heard a cat in awhile last time I heard one was 3yrs ago while I was bowhunting.. It was getting hurt or something talk about something that will make ur hairs on the back of your neck stand up real quick. Never did see it. It Was a pretty thick where I was hunting at that day. I saw some cat tracks were I thought the noise came from didn't see no hair or nothing but coulda been a different one. It was probably up on the hill above me with its buddy like lets see if we can scare this hunter so he will fall out of his treestand . Haha

Lol i heard one once. Never seen it. We get set up early bow season here. Its about a half hr before dark. My buddy went 100 yds over the hill in his stand had his 357 on him so he had no problem. On th other hand im in my ground blind and i hear this "baby cry" outta nowhere about 75 yds down the pther side. My eyes light up and i was like oh ****. My buddy texted me and said shut your light off dont move and yell if you need something. That was a bobcat. At this point i was like dumbfounded. We walk down to where he was at. He was only 40 yds from my blind!

Originally Posted By: Woods&WaterHey guys im new at this but i got 3 questions. I hunt in Pennsylvania for coyotes. First is when i go out should i start my calling set with coyote vocals or distresses this time of year? Second when will the coyotes start having pups? Third is when should i use fawn in distress? Advice needed!

Answer to #1, You shouldn't be hunting this time of the year. Due to the fact that coyotes are raising theri young. Shoot an adult and the babies starve. Hence no targets in the fall/winter.

Answer to #2, See answer to #1

Answer to #3, Probably never. I have a Foxpro with about 100 sounds and I use about 3. Don't need any more.

Just my Humble Opinion

JD

Originally Posted By: Woods&Water Problem were having is getting them to yell back. Got one spot that has active dens (trail cam) but they dont come out to respond. Anyways Thanks

If they yell back, chances are they know you are there and they probably will not come to the call.

jd

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: HeanderDo you have a TV show?

if he did it is probably off the air now. the post you replied to is 5 years old.

His first post on a 5 year old topic with an arbitrary website link... Not to mention an edit 14 days after the original post? Garbage

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips for hunting coyotes in the summer ? I’m going to hunt them this summer for the first time . I hoping for good fast close shotgun action . I’ll be hunting in Connecticut . Just looking for any advise

If you can put up with the heat and the insects, coupled with how ugly the coyotes get when they have moulted, you can still kill a bunch of them. First and last light is the best, and night is probably good too. I have no experience with the night part.

My oldest son keeps on putting them down all summer.

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastDoes anyone have any tips for hunting coyotes in the summer ? I’m going to hunt them this summer for the first time . I hoping for good fast close shotgun action . I’ll be hunting in Connecticut . Just looking for any advise

Keep your call close. Out here, our coyotes tend to come in from downwind to take a look but then they seem to approach from the sides or slightly behind the call, so I tend to set my call out 25-50 yards, that way they slide in front of me trying to approach the sides and rear of the call well within shotgun range.

This time of year, it can be real hit or miss. When they are pairing up howls work great. Once the pups are on the ground puppy distress works great. A lot depends on the temps, weather and what your coyotes are eating as to what they will respond to.

Back