KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

OK, fellas, I finally nailed the BLOOMING HOLY GRAIL!

The LDI Neutral Density Filter works absolutely perfect and sheds the bloom, leaving a nice precise laser beam footprint!

DBAL%20D2%20Neutral%20Filter.jpg

MonoCam%20Front.jpg

Here are the photos of it from my MonoCam ITT PVS-14 setup at 175 yards using exact same camera settings, one set is 1X and the other set is zoomed in some for a close up of the beam footprint.

No%20Filter%20No%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

Filter%20No%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

Filter%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

No%20Filter%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

You just leave the filter cap on over the lasers for low power, and flip the cap over to use high power, super simple and it even works now if you had forgotten to flip the cap to begine with and then needed to use it...

I have been wanting to setup a 4.5x lens on the rifle and use the ir laser for aiming while keeping the pvs14 head mounted, so for quick shooting rifle kept low, for long distance raise rifle and look thru 4.5x lens no offset because laser is the poi no matter what angle you view it from. Only have ir laser, ir light and magnifier on rifle. I think i need to offset the magnifier, does the push on type magnifier hold solid if used head mounted for long range shooting only.

Yeah, you could certainly do that but it is a headache, it is more weight on your head and you cannot walk around that way as distances are distorted.

The way I use the laser is mount the PVS-14 with magnifier on the rail of the rifle and just use it that way when you turn on the laser it is magnified close up....

Thats how I have it PVS14 4.5x with eotech rifle mounted, I have thermal over left eye for scanning helmet mounted, with a small flex light 12" shaft with shrink tube as a shroud that lights up the trail a few feet in front of me so I can see small branches or twigs so that I don't make any noise it mounts thru my belt loops and is my wee wee light
laugh.gif
. The light with the shroud cannot be seen from 10 or so feet due to the shroud, I can bend it any direction. I was wanting to know if the push on magnifier is solid, That way I could use the pvs14 head mounted and only push on the 3x magnifier to shoot long distances using shooting stix

You can do that with the 3X magnifier but it is a hassle as the slip on is a loose fit and will fall off.

The only time I use the slip on is in a stand for a quick close up view or laying down in the horse pasture watching the stars and meteors.

If you do not screw the 3X into the PVS-14 objective, it will accidentally all off.

That was my concern, I was thinking of a cam lock type, like the one for the camera you are using. Quickly attach the 4.5x when needed for shooting long range. When sitting and calling leave it rifle mounted, when on the move head mounted with laser then 4.5x when needed to shoot or quick scan. I think with the ls64 the scanning with the pvs14 will be thing of the past.

It does not make any mention of the filter strength on the filter or the packaging from LDI.

But this LDI Neutral Density filter works great on the DBAL-D2 turning it into a two level IR laser, low & high, there is another model available for the DBAL-I2 and OTAL & ITAL lasers...

Low seems to be equal to about 0.1mW and High is of course 0.7mW.

Here is a comparison shot from my 0.1mW LASTAC pistol laser compared to the 0.7mW IR DBAL-I2:

LASTAC2%20&%20DBAL%20I2%20175%20yards.jpg

LASTAC by itself:

LASTAC2%20175%20yards.jpg

Here is the pictorial story of the LASTAC 0.1mW IR laser compared to the DBAL-D2 0.7mW IR laser close up @ 30 yards and @ 175 yards to show the major decrease in bloom associated with the use of the LDI Neutral Density Filter on a 0.7mW IR laser footprint:

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20NO%20Filter%2030%20Yards.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20Filter%2030%20yards.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20D2%20175%20Yards%20NO%20Filter.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20D2%20Filter%20175%20Yards.jpg

Unfortunately, as soon as I posted this everyone is suddenly sold out!
scared.gif

The LDI Part Number of the ND filter I am using on my DBAL-D2s is FA05349-01

Neutral Density Filter - Black

The filter itself is very black glass and you cannot see through it at all unless looking through it at the sun.

The correct filter for the civilian legal IR laser in the DBAL-I2 is FA06147-01

It is nice to be able to use it without having to remember to take the cap off...

yep, that's the one. Laser Devices Neutral Density Filter - Black LD-LA-NeutralFilter-FA06147-01 for the DBAL I2.

I figure one of these days I will get it. it would be nice not to worry about remembering to remove the cap for sure. nice find!

Last edited:
Vic is checking out if TNVC has any in stock as they used to list them on their website, will let you know is he does. That would be great!

I ordered three more for myself and a friend from Optics Planet but they are backordered for 4-5 months...

Ya know, Clasky and I were just discussing this. It's funny we had these available several years ago before the Class 1's were even out and were only used with the high power/restricted units.

We all still have them on our HP lasers at times, but we never really put them on our Class 1's because most of us still have to use the restricted units for the LE and Mil training we do.

Will get these back up on our site as soon as we dig around here.

Vic

Back