Coyote eyes at night

In white light they look yellowish GREEN to me. (Definitely more green than yellow, but not grass green.)

P.S. It's been such a long dry spell of no coyotes around here that at night I've taken to calling my German Shepherd up with the calling light! That way I at least get that 'green flash' fix.

Last edited:
I know I have coyotes on or near my property, so I have started baiting them with a bit of dog food (cheapest I can find at wmart). Last night, I checked one spot and saw a pair of eyes that seemed red/orange; he/it didn't stay for the party:)

Not sure what it was, don't think a dog would have checked out so quick.

Jim

I used to call at night with a white light just using the bottom of the beam to light up the eyes. Coyote eyes appear yellow green to me also. The little grey foxes that we have reflect bright red and appear very big.

One night I was calling beside an alfalfa patch and had two pairs of red eyeballs star in. They appeared to be too far apart for a fox and when they got pretty close they jumped up in the air about 3 feet---and stayed there. I dropped the full light beam down and there stood two horses. DON"T shoot at eyes.

Originally Posted By: JimOliverAgreed!! No horses around, that I know about, but we must be sure of the target.

+1
thumbup1.gif

We hunt around cows, goats, donkeys, etc., so it is vital to our continued access to our hunting spots that we identify the target. Even if that were not the case we would never, ever, ever shoot at just eyes. #1) It's not safe. #2) There's no opportunity for good shot placement. #3) It's not safe....

Depends on what color light you use, they will reflect back the color of light. i have red, green, & white light. An can make eyes appear different color depending on the light I use. Dog, deer, cat, fox, cows doesn't matter they will reflect color of light. Just be sure of your target before you squeeze the trigger.

the red/orange eyes were most likely racoon, they love dog food. A true story about shooting at eyes. There was a preditor hunter in GA that shot at what he thought were eyes. Turned out to be a game wardens binoculars he was seeing. He killed the game warden. I would not shoot at eyes alone.

I had thought that it could be a coon, pleantiful here.

We are all on the same page about target identification; "Bullet, come back!" just won't work.

Weekender, I'm glad you brought up that incident, sad as it was. It happened just 3 years ago.
According to reports, two hunters were using night vision equipment, (on which I don't know the specifics). The officer was behind a mound or berm and the coyote hunters mistook his binoculars for animal eyes. The victim worked for the US Forest Services.

Last edited:
doesn't hurt to know the color. However DON'T SHOOT AT EYES! ever! know your target 100% by more than one confirmation!

Back