Fox Pro Shockwave vs. Primos Alpha Dog

Steel City Archer

For those of you that have used both, are we really comparing apples to apples here?

Both look like good, quality calls. I'm just wondering if the price difference for the Shockwave is justified?

I have never owned either of the calls. In fact, I am looking to buy my my first caller and have narrowed it down to these two.

Any input for those who have used both would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have owned seven diferent Foxpro models with the Shockwave being my newest one. Yes they cost a few more $$$ but you are buying Quality made in the USA. Customer service is second to none. I am sure that any electronic call will bring in the predators ( if you put your time in). But what you are buying is a quality call and a manufacture that stands behind their products 100%.

I don't have both, but this might be helpful just the same...

I just returned the shockwave. It was nice, but ultimately, I bought it for the great speakers & sound that it touted. It came up very short in with that in mind...

In the end, I thought the sound was not to good. Ironically, I was out hunting with a buddy who had his new Wildfire 2 a few times this week & we took both calls out to the field on the last hunt. On one stand we had both calls going at the same time, one on each side of us ABOUT 20 yards away. Even though I thought his call sounded better the previous couple of days WHILE not playing at the same time prior to this NON planned comparison, it was depressing to hear it head to head with my Shockwave, as it was plan as day that the shockwave was not as clear AT any sound level AS its cheaper Foxpro Wildfire 2.

Does it have some fun functions, like Foxcast, foxfusion, and FoxMotion, yes. But, without the great sound that it was suppose to deliver, those things didn't matter to me.

Was the shockwave louder than the Wildfire? Yes. But, it was nasty sounding. I did an experiment. I played every sound here at my home, and stopped the sound when it got to the level where that particular file began to break up. None made it to level 40 & few made it past 25. Some only getting to 15. For $599.99, it was a huge disappointment.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
I will say from experience from calling and kiling alot of coyotes. The Primos calls can hold a light on a Foxpro. If you don't want to spent that much on the Shockwave, buy the Fury.

The Fury will out perform the Alpha Dog!

Originally Posted By: Kevin2.

I just returned the shockwave. It was nice, but ultimately, I bought it for the great speakers & sound that it touted. It came up very short in with that in mind...

In the end, I thought the sound was not to good. Ironically, I was out hunting with a buddy who had his new Wildfire 2 a few times this week & we took both calls out to the field on the last hunt. On one stand we had both calls going at the same time, one on each side of us ABOUT 20 yards away. Even though I thought his call sounded better the previous couple of days WHILE not playing at the same time prior to this NON planned comparison, it was depressing to hear it head to head with my Shockwave, as it was plan as day that the shockwave was not as clear AT any sound level AS its cheaper Foxpro Wildfire 2.

Does it have some fun functions, like Foxcast, foxfusion, and FoxMotion, yes. But, without the great sound that it was suppose to deliver, those things didn't matter to me.

Was the shockwave louder than the Wildfire? Yes. But, it was nasty sounding. I did an experiment. I played every sound here at my home, and stopped the sound when it got to the level where that particular file began to break up. None made it to level 40 & few made it past 25. Some only getting to 15. For $599.99, it was a huge disappointment.

Hope that helps...

That's not good.

Just a thought. Concerning the Shockwave caller, I've read there is a way to select the type of batteries you're using. I've read of guys having problems when they were using one type of battery and the caller setting was on a different type of battery.

Did you know about this? Could it of been what was going on in your case? Just stuff I've read.

Wow that is totally different results than I am getting. I have played dozens of sounds on mine and I do know that one sound does get that crackling at 36-40 but sounds great at 30-32 but all others have been quite clear.
The caller seems to work OK as here's results from this week-end of hunting with it. I did call two with mouth calls but the remainder were Shockwave.
Abilenehunt2013019.jpg

Originally Posted By: venaticWow that is totally different results than I am getting. I have played dozens of sounds on mine and I do know that one sound does get that crackling at 36-40 but sounds great at 30-32 but all others have been quite clear.
The caller seems to work OK as here's results from this week-end of hunting with it. I did call two with mouth calls but the remainder were Shockwave.
Abilenehunt2013019.jpg

Those coyotes makes that shockwave look huge.

I was pleasantly surprised by how small the Shockwave was after seeing pictures of it. It is bigger than the Fury but it does still fit in my Predator Vest.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThat's some fine work right there Venatic, mighty fine.

+1!

I used the AD quite a bit this fall. I just got the SW and hope to get it out after 'cats tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find after I've had a chance to use it in the field. The remotes function very similarly which was what I liked most about the AD. AD-style remote with Foxpro quality, features and CS should be a winner.

Thanks to Kevin and doggin' for the input. I may take two types of batteries with me for the SW.

My calling partner has an Alpha Dod and I have afoxpro. We have killed plenty of coyotes with the Alpha and I actually like the remote better. We both think that the foxpro has better sound quaility. The service and warranty is great on the foxpro staff and that is worth the extra dough for me.

If you get the Shockwave, you will have to carry a lot of weight...
Furs in the round are heavy!
Nuff said
PeteAbner.jpg

2r7.jpg

PH2RedsShockwave.jpg

PHVAShockwavereds.jpg

2r5.jpg

I have owned both the Alpha Dogg and Shockwave. I have since sold the Alpha Dogg mainly because I couldn't justify owning both, since they were so similar. The extra features of the Shockwave are what sold me on it over the Alpha Dogg. The first Alpha Dogg I bought had some sound issues and Primos customer service took care of it by replacing the unit. While waiting for the unit to get replaced I bought a Shockwave and really loved the unit. When the new Alpha Dogg arrived I sold it but I certainly would not have felt handicapped at all with the unit.

The Alpha Dogg sounded very good, but I would probably give an edge to the Shockwave in sound quality. The remotes of both callers are very similar, but I actually preferred how the big middle button of the Alpha Dogg worked over the Shockwaves. I thought the Alpha Dogg had an edge on volume. Even though Primos customer service took care of my issue it wasn't without a bit of run around first. I have never had to take advantage of Foxpro customer service, but have heard great things. The edge there may go to Foxpro. I think both callers will call coyotes.

For me, it ultimately came down to the extra features on the Shockwave like Foxbang, FoxMotion, etc. If you can live without these features, I think you would do fine with the Alpha Dogg. I do think that the Shockwave is worth the extra money. Foxpro is also a very strong company with a reputation for superb customer service. That has to play into the decision, as well. Good luck!

If I have the battery type set correctly, I have zero distortion on any of my sounds out of my Shockwave. I am using NiMH or lithium cells. I have several Primos Randy Anderson howls on my caller, and it plays them no problem.

Last edited:
Great information in this thread.

I'll gladly pony up the extra money for good customer service. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the run-around when all you want is something to work as advertised.

I'm sure they are both good callers, but Fox Pro won my vote just for the praise of their customer service alone.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Originally Posted By: Steel City ArcherGreat information in this thread.

I'll gladly pony up the extra money for good customer service. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the run-around when all you want is something to work as advertised.

I'm sure they are both good callers, but Fox Pro won my vote just for the praise of their customer service alone.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Just for info...I had the Shockwave in the field yesterday for the first time calling bobcats. (OK, I was calling for bobcats but only two coyotes responded.) It worked flawlessly. I used alkaline photo batteries with no sound distortion. I took the caller up to 38 or 40 several times with no change in sound quality. I suspect the user with high volume distortion/break up had undercharged batteries or a bad cell in the mix that he wasn't aware of.

Although I hadn't thought much about it ahead of time, the FoxFusion is a nice feature. I mixed in magpies on several occasions which I felt gave some extra realism to my set-up. I really like the remotes of both callers although I would use a screen saver on either to ensure the screen doesn't get scratched. As SDCC mentioned, the AD will certainly call coyotes. (I killed quite a few over my demo this fall.) And, it's a great value for the money but the SW feels more solid and the features are nice.

Is the SW worth the extra coin? Depends. It depends on your budget. It depends on how serious a caller you are. It depend on how important the extra features are to you. And, it depends on whether you just enjoy owning and using the nicest piece of gear available on your hunts. Getting all that does cost a significant chunk of change. Whether it's worth it to you will be your call. I personally will be giving the SW a lot more field time come next fall.

Anyone in the market for an upgraded original Fury?
smile.gif

Kevin are you anywhere near Lansing MI? I have had my shockwave about a month now and haven't experience anything like you describe...I think you probably had a bad unit...or a battery cell problem...

Mine is fooling the fox ok..

2013-02-16_17-12-33_951_zpsc0600385.jpg

Originally Posted By: venaticI was pleasantly surprised by how small the Shockwave was after seeing pictures of it. It is bigger than the Fury but it does still fit in my Predator Vest.

Just curious what vest are you using?

Back