Cutting a barrel down on a Sendero

MPFD

Looking for opinions. I have a first generation Sendero in 25-06, I know I will lose around 150+ fps and probably drop it's value. But I really think I would like the rifle ALOT better with a 22" barrel. I did it on my Savage 12fv and it completely changed the way it handled. I LOVE the Model 12 now. They don't make Sendero's in 25-06 anymore and I know it will be worth less money afterward. But I really think it would get carried and hunted with more. I'm sure I would like the rifle better afterwards. But, I'm not sure I wouldn't regret de-facing a "somewhat" hard to find rifle these days. Go ahead, sound off...

No, it's not. It's a Chrome moly 26" barrel. But it drives tacks, I can't see it getting any worse with a little chop and crown. My .204 actually tighten up a bit. But that 28 grain of powder to burn in 22"s not 56 grains...

Fun twist...

Pull the barrel, get a new one in the length you want. Have your cake and eat it too. Get the barrel length you want, and preserve the value and (for lack of better word right now) "heritage" of the Sendero quarter ought six. (realizing you're talking about $300-500 for a new barrel, rather than a $100 chop and crown job)...

Or if it's about balance, not worried about weight, counter balance the buttstock.

I'd be hard pressed to cut off the factory barrel...

There's no collector value to a sendero. It's not a 40x or a nice shinny stainless CDL so make it what you want so you will use and enjoy it.

I agree from a collectors stand point. But the 25-06 was only chambered in the Sendero for a short time.

Mpfd, I have the same gun as you and know what you are talking about. I would rebarrel it instead of cutting it down though. But that is just me.

Yeah, I think your right. I had no doubt's about cutting down the .204 at all. The fact that I'm conflicted means I better not do it...

You wouldn't like my advice. Cut it down for 2"? I'd keep it as is and maybe buy another barrel but I can't see cutting it for 2".

I despise 26" barrels and god knows I have to many rifles with them. But I just use them. If I were buying a new barrel I'd remedy the situation.

I'd buy a new barrel then you could sell the current and make up a little money from it. Them senders are awesome rifles and I like the 26" tube. If you pull and sell it let me know on the price of you take off and some info. I'm wanting another tube for my 2506.

Back