Savage Axis or Ruger American

Billsauk

I have one .243 and 2 11 year old boys. I'm wanting to get another .243 for deer hunting with the kids. I'm wondering which rifle to get here. I have read the threads recently about how good the Axis shoots, but don't really know much about the American. I know it gets good reviews in the gun mags, but I don't put much faith in their reviews. How are the real world reviews on the Ruger American. I know I'm looking at entry level rifles here but with growing boys I don't want to buy a spendy rifle in .243 and then later as they get bigger buy 2 more larger cal rifles. So what's your opinion of the 2 rifles, and which would you go with in my situation? Thanks Bill

I think the axis is a really good rifle for the money, I don't think you could go wrong with it for your boys. I have a axis 25-06 and it shoots great. I don't know much about the American but I imagine its a good rifle as well. Maybe take the boys to check them out and see what fits the the best.

Good luck!

Both are good rifles.

While everyone will mention the trigger, I would question how much this matters given your specific need. Yes, the Ruger has an adjustable trigger wheras the Axis does not.

With that said, do you really want to be dialing down the trigger pull on a hunting rifle that will be used by young hunters? Up to you, but let's just say that I'm not a fan of this fad of setting up hunting rifles with hair triggers.

This "issue" of the Axis trigger is somewhat overblown. I took my Axis out the first time and with the factory trigger (7.1 pound pull) and factory ammo, I shot a 1.05 inch group. And that'd be a real group of 5 shots, not a Get Lucky Group of 3. All these guys that seem to need a hair trigger to be able to hit the broad side of a barn maybe should look at technique more and equipment mods less.

What would tip the scale for me is if you can get the Ruger for a price like they were offering back in December with the $100 rebate. Wow.

Grouse

My husband has both and I have the American. They are both good rifles. The only thing my husband does not like about his Axis is the trigger pull.

I like the Axis my dad has one in 22-250 and it shoots great. The trigger is a touch over 5 pounds but he can shoot less than 1 inch groups (5 shots) AT 100 yards. That is with the package scope.

You can adjust the Axis trigger with a snip of the tension spring behind the trigger. Easy to do in about 10 min. Mine is now 3 lbs. Look on U tube for a video.

Tom

If you get the Savage Axis search "Stock and trigger mods for a Savage Edge" on this forum. This is a great writeup.
RSG

The Ruger American is now available in a .243 Compact model.
Which has a 12-1/2" LOP, which would be just great for the kids. I just ordered one myself, for my Grandson.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTYou can adjust the Axis trigger with a snip of the tension spring behind the trigger. Easy to do in about 10 min. Mine is now 3 lbs. Look on U tube for a video.

Tom

Per RSG's recommendation above, I would advise reading the whole procedure. I understand that just shortening the existing spring can produce a similar result, but doing this produces a different set of safety concerns that anyone who is trying it needs to be fully aware of.

IMO, replacing the spring with a lower-tension spring AND adjusting the spring's length per the instructions in the post is the way to go.

Whatever you do, make absolutely sure that you test to make sure the sear won't release should the gun be dropped or bumped during normal use. If you DON'T know how to test for this, you should not be making trigger mods at all.

It's fun to be able to make mods like this, but please make sure you know enough to make them carefully and safely.

Grouse

Back