Winchester supreme elite Xtended range hi density coyote load?

Chupathingy

Give me your input about this shell please. Ofcourse I know everything comes down to how it patterns out of my gun. My question is about the terminal effects given a reasonable amount of pellet strikes. I've never used "B" shot before and am just looking for a heads up.

As soon as the wind switches to the north, I will give a review of this shell if anyone is interested.

Chupa

Isnt B shot a little smaller than BB. I would think for coyote you would want something a little larger. I use the dead coyote Ts and have had good luck with them. It will be interesting to see how these work out for you. I saw some heavy shot Bs on sale at Cabelas the other day.

It patterned real well for me. The only downside is a lack of knock down power. Shot one real early in a stand, it dropped. So I keep calling awhile. After I'm done walk up to it and it jumps up and runs away! Granted this was a single incident, but it was about 30 yards away. Could have been me. Went back to Hevi Shot T and no more runners.

The Winchester load is a smaller size pellet with less shot in the load overall than any of the other high tech loads - never interested me. When I get done with my stash of the now discontinued Remington HD-BB's, the load I am itching to try out is the Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote load. The Federal is the densest of all the tungsten type loads and should really be a super load if a guy works around the Flite Control wad they use.

I've been wondering about this load for a while now. Frankly, I'm not confident it will have the long range KO power that Hevi-T or lead 00 has, but the price point I've seen is more friendly than Dead Coyote, so I've been wanting to try it out.

BUT... I haven't been able to find it anywhere yet.

I bought quite a few boxes of the 3" 1-3/8 oz B Waterfowl Xtended Range Hi Density loads when Cabela's was closing them out.

I have not tried them out yet. I have shot coyotes with the Rem HD #2s and 8 coyotes with the Federal Heavyweight #2s and they both work pretty good.

If you can find any Federal Heavyweight #2s for a good price buy them. The Federal Heavyweight #2s are 35% denser than lead. Federal Heavyweight shot is much heavier than Hevi-Shot or Rem HD shot.

I think I will be using the 2 shot or B shot for my first shot and then backing them up with REM HD BBs or Hevi-Shot or Rem HD T shot.

I have to shoot lead free shot at coyotes so for the last 3 years I have been buying good lead free shotgun shells whenever I find them on sale or when they are being closed out.

I have killed two with them. One at 40 yards broadside through some brush. Moved about 4 ft. Dead. Pellets penetrated through to the hide on opisite side. The other was at 20 yards even broke the shoulder on the otherside. Works for me soo far.

Originally Posted By: GCThe Winchester load is a smaller size pellet with less shot in the load overall than any of the other high tech loads - never interested me. When I get done with my stash of the now discontinued Remington HD-BB's, the load I am itching to try out is the Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote load. The Federal is the densest of all the tungsten type loads and should really be a super load if a guy works around the Flite Control wad they use.

Whats the trick with the flight control wad? Non ported choke? Something else. I'd like to try these too, but at $5 each testing gets expensive, The Hevi shot T's are expensive too, but I've got them working pretty good for me. Always looking for something better though.

Sorry about hi jacking this thread.

Ryno we need to get out after the holidays but with the fc wads open nonported chokes. Like a mod or ic works best for the duck guys shooting the fc wads.

Non-wad stripping chokes are best for the Flite Control wad. Constriction is variable with less than a person might normally use for a certain application generally giving best results with this wad type. With that said, some choke makers are catering to the Flite Control and making extended non-wad stripping chokes with fairly tight constriction that are producing good results.

I dont believe shotshell loads are made for "knockdoen" power. Shot is made to shred tissue. Thats what ive always understood about shotguns.

Originally Posted By: GC When I get done with my stash of the now discontinued Remington HD-BB's, the load I am itching to try out is the Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote load. The Federal is the densest of all the tungsten type loads and should really be a super load if a guy works around the Flite Control wad they use.

Wonder what constriction they are reccomending to be used with the Federal Heavyweight BB's??

Also wonder where I might find some...??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cowpokeOriginally Posted By: GC When I get done with my stash of the now discontinued Remington HD-BB's, the load I am itching to try out is the Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote load. The Federal is the densest of all the tungsten type loads and should really be a super load if a guy works around the Flite Control wad they use.

Wonder what constriction they are reccomending to be used with the Federal Heavyweight BB's??

This is only a guesstimate however I would begin with about .025" from the bore size and carefully work tighter until I began to experience blown donut type patterns. That's my plan anyway.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: cowpokeOriginally Posted By: GC When I get done with my stash of the now discontinued Remington HD-BB's, the load I am itching to try out is the Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote load. The Federal is the densest of all the tungsten type loads and should really be a super load if a guy works around the Flite Control wad they use.

This is only a guesstimate however I would begin with about .025" from the bore size and carefully work tighter until I began to experience blown donut type patterns. That's my plan anyway.

That's kinda what I was thinking might be a good way to look at it.

My initial thoughts are that this particular load is not a good candidate for the really tight predator and turkey style chokes.

Originally Posted By: cowpokeOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: cowpokeOriginally Posted By: GC When I get done with my stash of the now discontinued Remington HD-BB's, the load I am itching to try out is the Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote load. The Federal is the densest of all the tungsten type loads and should really be a super load if a guy works around the Flite Control wad they use.

That's kinda what I was thinking might be a good way to look at it.

My initial thoughts are that this particular load is not a good candidate for the really tight predator and turkey style chokes.

Kinda a guessing game for me right now. Some of the hard core turkey gun testers are actually using about the same constriction as they do with any other denser than lead tungsten shot, only with specific non-wad stripping chokes. Pure Gold, Indian Creek, and Kick's are making chokes specifically for the Federal ammo with that peculiar wad style. I plan to begin testing with my factory short screw-in chokes and work tighter until patterns begin to spread.

For my 835, I have a screw in, Truglow Adjustable Choke, kinda like the old Poly-Choke. It supposedly goes from Full to Cylinder and anything in between.

I'd like to find some of those Federals to try in it.
Whatcha think?

Shayne

I could not find any of those federals today on a few stops on my way up to Mom and Dad's farm. Nothing at Scheels, Gander Mtn. or Farm & Fleet.

Of course that particular scheels selection of anything firearms and hunting related is entirely unacceptable except for bowhunting snobs,and all their prices have gone nuts too.

Gander is actually worse anymore too. Only stopped there quick because I was driving right by.

GC, I wonder how many pellets will be in the Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB load.

There was around 70 to 72 pellets in the Rem Wingmaster HD Waterfowl BB 3" 1-1/2 oz load. There may be only 60 Federal Heavyweight BB pellets or less in the Federal load.

I weighed the Federal Heavyweight #2 shot 15g/cc pellets and there was only 62 pellets per ounce compared to 81 pellets per ounce in the Rem HD #2s.

The 3" Federal Heavyweight 1-1/4 oz #2 loads I took apart had 76 to 78 pellets in each shell, these shells are rated at 1450 fps.

I just opened up a 3" Winchester Xtended Range Hi Density 1-3/8 oz B load and it had 81 pellets in it.

Chupa, are the Xtended Range Winchester shells you got 1-1/2 oz or 1-3/8 oz loads?

Bob, that is a consideration. The heavier the individual pellet the fewer in an ounce. Pattern results would tell the tale!

Back