Baiting

Last year I purchased a 55 gallon plastic food grade drum, a 6 volt deer feeder, a deep charging 6 volt battery and two 5 watt 12 volt solar panels and a set of legs. I set it up on an animal check choke point. I loaded it with cheap cat kibble. For 4 days I called at 9:00 AM then ran the feeder by remote control. The yotes started coming in at 9:00 AM On their own without calling. I believe they tuned in on the whir and rattle of the feeder and came in to get goodies. I haven't shot any yet. I want them better trained. I'll let you know. I don't think they really like the kibble spread all over, but they keep on coming. I am going to leave it up over winter

Hay guys I have a question or questions so here we go I have been baiting three spots since July and using LDC at all three sites . And i have it kinda set that they are cleaning house on the bait when it's cold mid to low 30s at night but if it's warmer out 40 and higher that the bait gose longer ? can I still try to use an ecaller in the day time at these bait sites? And when it is 30 and below or freezing I will be running bait cikles also ! And the next question I have is ..... Can I hunt those bait sites with an ecaller ? And if so what sound do you think I should use ?

Yes, no reason not to try the e-caller. It might be better not to call the spots too often though, and to use different calls and setups each time. These coyotes are pretty territorial and so challenge howls, pup in distress, and even mating howls (during the season)could work along with the regular sounds. A coyote decoy could help to draw them out in the open.

Some guys reported success at tapering the amount of bait down on each feeding, and feeding at the same time each day. They've reported that competition for the food as it decreases will cause coyotes to come to the baitsite quickly after baiting each day. Haven't tried it, but that's the report and it makes sense.

Lots of good stuff here guys. Keep it coming. Im mostly a lurker. I keep an eye on the site. I have baited for several years with hit and miss success. About to start again. Have been waiting for the bears to go to sleep befor I start. Always have an eye out for that key piece of advice or trick. Never too old to learn. Thanks for sharing...

Jkruger,

The light is a 48 LED infrared light that has it's own photo cell. It operates on 12 volt DC. The light is small and comes with a mounting bracket that will enable it to be rotated around, up and down in order to get the proper lighting at the bait site. The range of the illumination cast is something like 20 meters distance.

I have the light attached to the deep cycle battery, which allows it to be powered nightly via it's photo cell, for approximately 2 weeks before needing a charge. The light will turn on at dark and off in the morning, but will be illuminated every night, thereby helping coyotes to become accustomed to it.

The light gives off a very faint red glow, similar to that of an IR trail camera. Keep in mind that there is no visible light cast upon the ground that the eye can see. Back at my cabin when looking toward the 60 yard bait site, I see nothing but darkness. However, when I turn on the night vision scope and take a look, the area is illuminated and I can see well.

One light positioned properly is all I need in order to shoot. The scope sees very well, but having two lights is better and covers a broader area if positioned properly.

Here is a link to the light on Ebay. This is where I purchased some of my lights (I have several of them).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-LED-illuminat...=item3377c1ffed

Here's another look at the light. As you can see, the light is pretty small.

InfraredlightfromEbay.jpg

01-40.jpg

02-42.jpg

03-35.jpg

This is an arrangement I used in the beginning. What I found was that some coyotes are
very scared of the lights in a tree. I have since been using only one light mounted on the
post that automatically illuminates at dark, and I have a second light that I can remotely
turn on and off if I want or need more light. Also, 5 lights gives much more light than I really
need. It's been a trial-n-error process for sure.

Lights.jpg

This is an example of what the scope sees, but the eye only sees darkness. This photo was
taken from a video file, a video that was taken from my Sony camera mounted back at the
cabin. For information sake, the scope sees much, much brighter than the camera can record,
so while this photo looks pretty good, the scope sees the skunk and area much brighter.
This was also taken while the 5 lights were illuminated from above in the tree. You can see
the concentration of light into a small area. It would have been better to have the lights aimed
up the hill and out a bit more to cover a broader area. As I mentioned, a lot of trial-n-error went
into my setup.

Skunk60Yards.jpg

Here is a clip that I did initially when I first began this project. You can get an idea of
how the light looks through the scope, and when turned on and off. I have since
modified a lot of the techniques I used here.

I have added some more clips to give you an idea. I've posted all
these before and I hope everyone doesn't get bored seeing them
again and again. It just illustrates what has worked for me and
how I go about everything.

Coyote scared of lights in the tree

Here is a coyote I took at the bait site. On this one I used only
one IR light mounted on the post where the trail camera is. I took
the 5-light arrangement out of the tree since it spooked this coyote
on too many occasions.

I hope this has been of some help. I will be glad to explain more if you need it,
or guide you through how I use the remote control for the light, wiring etc.,
and will help in any way I can.

First, your a very generous guy an i certainly appreciate you kindness and help.
I dont own a night scope so im assuming that style of light isnt going to do the trick. would there be another type that would benefit my setup just to backlight the coyote slightly on the dark nights? possibly a deepcell powered with photocell on /off?
Your post has been very helpfull, and once again thanks much.

I know that some guys hunt under various lights. I have even heard of a guy near here who shoots coyotes under a street light on his property. So, I imagine coyotes will get used to most anything, over time. The coyotes at my site, however, are sometimes even scared of the small IR light.

A photo cell could be attached to a DC light, rigged to a deep cycle battery and placed near a bait site. Finding a DC photo cell may not be so easy though. I have searched in the past and had limited results, but as I recall, I did find one on Ebay, maybe from the UK. Most photo cells I have seen are 110 V AC. You may have to search a bit to find one that operates on DC.

The other option might be to manually turn the light on at dark or before, and turn it off in the morning. But, that's only a possibility if you live near the light, or are shooting coyotes from your house. In my case, the farm is 1 mile from my house, and it has no electricity, so I have to go DC.

DoubleUP uses a light attached to the side of an outbuilding to give some illumination to the target. Maybe he will jump in here with some advice.

I copied 6mm06 light setup and it work awesome...i ran over 300 ft of low voltage wire from hd and put it on a switch and 12 volt battery with a solar panel. Tip...make sure the light box is like 10 ft up..I turn my light on after the ding dong sensor goes off.

I also had it on a ewt kill light remote wireles switch, but i like the hard wired switch better..faster and works everytime.

Last edited:

Blusam, are you asking me about a feeder or someone else? As to me, I don't use one. I just place meat scraps on the ground at the bait site. Perhaps you are referring to someone else.

Mr. Benelli, I'm glad the light setup worked well for you. It has worked very good for me.

As to the light box, I had mine higher than 10 feet, but the coyotes still didn't like it. They could see it too easily when they come down the hillside to the bait, and were practically eye-level with it since the tree was low on the hillside. In a proper location and tree, the light set will work better, I think.

Here is another example of the 5-light IR system, placed in a tree at a different site. This set was very bright and illuminated the raccoon very well as you can see. This photo was taken from video from my Sony camera at about 40 yards from the site. It is not the best quality, but that NV scope could see extremely well, if anything it was too bright.

RaccoonJune2012.jpg

Jkruger, I almost forgot about this light since I've never used it and packed it away months
ago - out of site and out of mind. I got it from Ebay. It has a motion detector and small solar
panel to keep the battery charged. This light is white, so if the coyotes will tolerate it turning on
when they approach, then you should be able to have enough illumination to shoot. It's not
a bright light, but probably enough. I haven't tried the light yet to know what it will do in the
field, but I have a feeling by it instantly turning on when a coyote walks by, it will scare the
yote. I have since found an IR lens to cover it for night vision purposes, but I haven't used it
since I have the other light that works so well.

The light has settings that allow for sensitivity, brightness, and also the length of time the light
will remain on at each activation.

Light1.jpg

Yes, i'm concerned about spooking them with a bright motion sencer style. just a dimmly lit red light on a photo sencer is what i had in mind. Do you think this might work? To train them to feed with the light on i guess is what i'm asking.

i had the same problem with the elevation being higher. When the closest ding dong sensors (dakota)goes off to the bait pile i then turn on the ir and shoot. I like the ebay lights over the gun ir because it lights up the hole area under the pile. I use two of them. but if you really want the yotes eyes to shine then use the ir laser on gun.

the bad part about scanning with the gun is they see the movement from far away. with the ebay ir overhead i can look through a closed window with the nv. they wont get the smell or movement.

I stake my large scraps to the ground. I use a trappers stake then rope or wire. I found out quickly the will just drag the meat into the woods and laugh away...

i do better with large caracas then small pieces. but i will give them some small stuff to just give them a taste of whats to come.

After I got the first two at a particular site i needed to move my setup back and over 120 yards away or they wouldnt come in.

Jkruger,

I had this in mind at one time, but never put it into service. I got a red LED light (trailer light I think) from Wal-Mart and hooked it to a battery. My purpose was for video and not shooting. The light is not as bright as I had hoped for video, so I abandoned the idea. But, it might be worth a try. They aren't that expensive and you could set it up to determine if you can see well enough through your scope. You might have to employ more than one light to give the illumination you need. If it works, then you could search for a photo cell.

I do think having the light burning every night is the key, and not just turning it on when a coyote is at the bait. Unaccustomed-to-light coyotes will most likely jump out of their skin when a light suddenly comes on, so a photo cell is the way to go, in my opinion, and have the light burning all the time.

There is a website, www.huntsports.com that talks about various lights for night hunting and that's where I got the idea. You might check out that website too. According to "Big Daddy" at that site, coyotes, hogs and other critters get used to the lights. Maybe they will, but the coyotes here seem a bit skiddish. Some relax after a bit and others never seem to.

Here's the light I'm talking about.

4inchLED.jpg

I have the red led tail light at one of the sites, with snow on the ground the tail light seems bright enough, with no snow the brake light portion is much brighter, even though the light is led, the brake light part will use a lot more of the battrey than the tail light. I have mine hooked up to a long range remote. no yotes feeding at the present site as of yet, but hopeing that will change soon. I have the light mounted inside of a metal coffee can to try and focus a little more light in the direction of the bait pile

Last edited:
Great info on this subject. thanks guys, you have the wheels turning in my mind with many ideas already.Just what i need is another hobby!!

Originally Posted By: jkrugerFirst, your a very generous guy an i certainly appreciate you kindness and help.
I dont own a night scope so im assuming that style of light isnt going to do the trick. would there be another type that would benefit my setup just to backlight the coyote slightly on the dark nights? possibly a deepcell powered with photocell on /off?
Your post has been very helpfull, and once again thanks much.
Most guys in this area have a flood light up high and shining away from the shooter and on the bait pile.They have the light hooked to a photo cell and its on all night long. Many of these guys shoot 8-15 coyotes per year and like the setup.

Back