Baiting

Just a random thought I had the other day. I did a search but didn't find anything.

A couple of years ago I remember reading an article that a member had written on baiting and they suggested using baitcicles in ever decreasing sizes to train the coyotes to show up when you want them to.

Has anyone ever tried an automatic game feeder with a timer to try to accomplish the same thing? I was thinking about putting one with some dog food or cat food in it and set it to go off around 8-9 PM every day and see if the coyotes will start showing up at that time.

We have a bait pile at a separate site full of road killed deer and they usually show up between midnight and 3 AM, so we have to dedicate a full night to sleeping at the cabin which isn't always convenient. I'm wondering if a feeder could make them comply with my schedule a bit more.

Here we have had bait sites going for four years now, there is no pattern to when they have been showing up, the camera shows anytime during the night and mornings, around noon, and mid day, and just before dark, but it seems like never two days in a row. The game feeders we use for deer wouldnt dispense dog food, possibly the small chunk stuff for puppies but never tried it.

TCS, I know what you mean about having to stay at the cabin all night. Coyotes here come at night, rarely during the day. I have tried baiting at various times without success.

I think here there is very little competition for the bait, so a coyote stops by the site whenever it travels through the area. I have had the same coyote go as much as 24 days inbetween visits, and I always have food waiting. That tells me it travels and finds food elsewhere, and only stops by my place when it's in the area. In my case, a feeder would not work. It might in other places, however.

My last coyote kill was at the end of August. Since that time (2 months and one week), I have had only 5 visits. One coyote (Tripod) has come by the site two times (October 18 & 28). Another one came Sept 21 & 25. Just last night, a coyote showed up which may be the Sept. one. So, you can see how long it's been with little activity. That makes for some very difficult hunting success. I can't stay at the cabin every night, and it's anybody's guess when a yote might show up. It's a game of hit or miss for me.

Here's the new coyote. Click on the photo to see the video.

I have put out at least a full pickup load of moose and deer parts from 2 different butchers in a 2ac feild behind my home sence the 1st of Oct and all is gone. So far this year I have shot 16 coyotes from bait the latest was a pup last week. Cant wait for colder weather its looking like another good winter to kill some yotes from my home over bait

Man Scalloper. I wish I had coyotes like you do to hunt. I know they are destructive, but it would be nice to have a bit more shooting opportunity.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI have put out at least a full pickup losd of moose and deer parts from 2 different butchers in a 2ac feild behind my home sence the 1st of Oct and all is gone. So far this year I have shot 16 coyotes from bait the latest was a pup last week. Cant wait for colder weather its looking like another good winter to kill some yotes from my home over bait
Some guys have all the luck

Originally Posted By: WhitebeardOriginally Posted By: Wallbass45 Hey Guys!! Does anyone know what has happend to Couger Jim????

I was wondering the same thing!

Anybody?

I am back in the game. Just built a natural blind out of cedar boughs and placed about 100 lbs. of deer renderings from the butcher house where I dropped off my deer to be processed. The bait is about 60 yards out at a logging road intersection. I am going for a more wooded area to bait this year. I believe that business will be good at this new site. It is not visible from any roads or fields. In the past I have had my baits in field corners or places that are easy to check on from the road. I think the seclusion of this site is going to be pay dirt on coyote pelts. Time will tell.

so i just ordered 2 more driveway patrol alarms, last year at my camp i had one. but many times i would get up only to see the yote at the other end of the field leaving....so this year i am gonna take 3 sensors and mount them on a triangular bracket. this way i will have 360 degrees of senseing around my bait pile. I am also going to do the antenna mod some of you did on the reciever. but i was actually thinking of one upping it and running20-30 feet of copper wire for the antenna outside of my camp up high and mounting the reciver in the bedroom. this way i can move the bait back a little( was at 80 yds last year). last year i had to leave it in a bait facing window/line of sight and tape a bunch of tissue around it to quiet it down...
learned alot last year ....this thread helped. my bait will go out end of december. when im done deer hunting.

Last edited:

Deerslyr1,

We are anxious to hear how things work out with the Driveway Patrols. I think you have a good idea of having three at the site. I now have three myself, two aiming at the actual bait site but from different angles, and one further up hill to catch a coyote early, before it reaches the bait.

Keep us posted.

Sure wish I owned stock in that Driveway Patrol company.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpSure wish I owned stock in that Driveway Patrol company.
smile.gif

ya who would of thought one of there best customers would be guys tryin to shoot stuff lol!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Man Scalloper. I wish I had coyotes like you do to hunt. I know they are destructive, but it would be nice to have a bit more shooting opportunity.

Your right they are destructive but this seems to be very a affective method of controling their numbers in some areas. I have as much fun or more hunting coyotes now as I did deer hunting.

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1so i just ordered 2 more driveway patrol alarms, last year at my camp i had one. but many times i would get up only to see the yote at the other end of the field leaving....so this year i am gonna take 3 sensors and mount them on a triangular bracket. this way i will have 360 degrees of senseing around my bait pile. I am also going to do the antenna mod some of you did on the reciever. but i was actually thinking of one upping it and running20-30 feet of copper wire for the antenna outside of my camp up high and mounting the reciver in the bedroom. this way i can move the bait back a little( was at 80 yds last year). last year i had to leave it in a bait facing window/line of sight and tape a bunch of tissue around it to quiet it down...
learned alot last year ....this thread helped. my bait will go out end of december. when im done deer hunting.
Sounds like a great set up. I also have 2 sensors on my bait so one hits them when they come from the east and the other from the west. The sensors are about 30' apart at a 45 deg angle from each other. When the coyote is right at the bait feeding both will be going off. At times it must take two going off to get the wife to wake me up
lol.gif

Yesterday morning at daylight my son woke up to the beeper going off. He chambard a round in my AR and shot a beautiful large female. I have pictures but Photo bucket is giving me trouble this morning for some reason. I will post later.

Got it to work today here is the picture of the last one a few days ago
1117121157a95253125.jpg

Last edited:

Hey Harry,

Yea, if I had more coyotes I would just shoot them, then need some more. Seems I'm never satisfied.

It has indeed been a while since we talked. How are things?

I've had some fox at the site lately, two grays and a red. This one gray fox is
like a chipmunk - he packs his mouth full of food and then takes it off.

UPDATE: Thought I would post a photo of my actual bait site, showing the sensor arrangement,
camera, lights and battery. The sensor (DoubleUp modified version) on the tree, and the middle
sensor are both aimed at the actual place where I put the bait. The upper sensor is aimed more
out and uphill just a bit, to catch a coyote as it comes down the hill to the bait. The prevailing
wind blows up the hillside, so coyotes generally come down to the bait, wind in their nose.

04-26.jpg

I have two infrared lights on the post, and two cameras. The deep cycle battery powers
the IR lights. I have one light wired to illuminate every night via it's photo cell. The second
light is wired with a remote device, so I can control it from the cabin if a bit more light is needed.
The battery will power the one IR light nightly for approximately two weeks before needing a recharge.

This is DoubleUp's modified sensor on the tree.

Sensor1.jpg

Here is the sensor to the left in the photo, on a stake lower to the ground. I did a Krylon
job on it and covered the red light with a piece of electrician's tape.

Sensor2-1.jpg

Back