Baiting

One other thing about the Driveway Patrol. The battery in the transmitter (9-volt) will last quite a while, so you can leave the unit mounted at the site and not worry about it. The receiver, however, is usually harder on batteries, so I take one battery out each time I leave the cabin so that it will not be in operation when not needed. It takes three C cell batteries.

Yea, the unit at $15.99 shipped is just hard to beat.

Now there were some really big bears. Nobody mentioned what they were using for bait or if they were using a "bought" lure as well. Ottway

Hope I am not stepping on anyone toes. But wanted to share this with my fellows hunters. I made this set up for night hunting over a bait site in a shack on private land. I still have to camo it but here goes. It's a Murs dakota wireless alert that I wired up to a sealed rechargeable battery. That get's it power from a solar panel that can be move to the back of the board or on the edge for the most sun light.Then there a I.R. cuddeback camera but that runs on 4D cell battery.Everything is screw or bolted to the board. Then there 2 bolts that holds the board to the post. The board can be move up or down on the post, or be screw to a tree if hunting in the woods.What do you guys think.
mycoyoteproject029.jpg
mycoyoteproject028.jpg
mycoyoteproject026.jpg

Last edited:

Useabow,

You aren't stepping on any toes here. We all look forward to hearing how others are doing this kind of thing. It's good to share ideas. I've learned a lot from fellow members and incorporated some of their methods to my own use. That's what this site is all about. Thanks for your input. Looks like you have a great setup.

How is the coyote hunting?

I have run my Murs dakota wireless alert for a year on the same 6 AA Batteries. It seems to last plenty long on those. It picks up any animal that passes in front of it. Range in the woods is also very good at a 1/4 mile.

We welcome all input and try our best to help each other here. This doesn't seem to be the big ego section where anyone thinks they know it all.

My experience with the Driveway Alert is that it works as is to about 75 yds, but if you need longer range then the antenna additons can reach out to at least 200 yds.

As 6mmo6 has indicated, if you need a quiet alarm then the headphone/speaker mod. can keep you stealthy. All in all, not too bad for about $16/unit and as 6mm06 is doing you can add several transmitters for more coverage at a reasonable cost. I use two myself.

Welcome to the forum and baiting section. We like pictures, lots of pictures.
smile.gif

Good shot placement on that fox.

I have a 3-legged coyote, now named Tripod, coming to the bait. It's right rear leg is missing and appears to be well healed. Problem is she only shows up now and again, I never know how long inbetween visits. Last time it was 24 days. I'm hoping for a date with her soon.

Here are some video clips of her. Just click on the photo to see the video.

FOLKS.. just moved back too WI also have property out west. I want too shoot some coyotes over some bait and want to buy a set up that will light up the bait circle and alarm me by sound when i am in the house when coyote is on the bait and then i make the shot. can i buy this unit ready to go out of the box from some one or do i have to have a person make it for me ?. i am working a lot of hours and plus not a wiz bang in making things. were could i buy a good unit that is wireless. thanks. marty

Last edited:
Marty, how far is your bait site going to be from your shooting position in your home? If your shot is less than about 65 or 70 yards, you can probably get by with one of the Driveway Alerts unmodified.

If you are going to be baiting at a greater distance, then you'll probably have to get a more expensive alarm system or modify the Driveway Alert.

Unless you're going to be using night vision, then I think you'll have to keep your light on all night rather than have it come on when the coyote shows up. If you have NV then you could have the IR lights come on when the alarm goes off.

I don't use IR or NV, but did pretty good last year with just a spot light shining on the bait site and using the Driveway Alert to let me know when a coyote was on the bait.

DannyK, Sandy brought us 12 inches of snow, wet and heavy. We never lost power at all and actually fared pretty good. Getting out of my driveway was the biggest challenge I had, but I have a 4x4 truck so that wasn't a big deal either.

I hope to stay at the cabin tonight in hopes Tripod will return. It's a big cat-and-mouse game with this one.

Marty, I use a Gen 1 night vision scope for shooting at my bait site. The site is 60 yards from the cabin, and the Driveway Patrol works fine without modification at that distance.

As to lights, I use infrared lights to help the night vision scope see. One light burns every night. I have it attached to a deep cycle battery. The light has a photocell, so it automatically illuminates (slight red glow) even when I'm not there.

If you don't use night vision, then you will have to use either a white light or possibly a red light. I personally think you should have at least one light burning all the time at night in order to condition the coyotes to them. If your bait site is always dark, and then you suddenly light it up when a coyote shows up, most likely it will scare the yote. Better to have some sort of light burn every night. You may have to experiment a bit to find a light that gives you enough illumination to see well, but one that doesn't over-illuminate the area. Choose a light that allows you enough illumination to see well enough to take a good shot.

Another thought you might want to play around with (though I haven't done this) is to have a light somewhere off at a distance, maybe at your house, but throwing a beam of light to the bait site. You might adjust it to where the main beam is not directly shinning on the bait, but have it angled up slightly to catch a coyote in the halo.

My one infrared light is small, has 48 LEDs, it's own photocell and it burns every night. It is positioned at the bait site, attached to a post that is nearby. When a coyote comes to the bait, the trail camera also kicks on and provides even more IR light, so I can see quite well through the Gen 1 scope. I can get about two weeks burn time on the deep cycle battery before it needs a charge. I don't have electricity at the cabin / bait site, so I have to use DC power.

In your case since you will be shooting from your house, so you will have electricity at hand and all the better. You might even attach a light to an outbuilding or garage.

The Driveway Patrol is cheap ($15.99 on Ebay, postpaid), and works good. If your distance is greater like DoubleUp described, then you should modify it with antennas. That will extend your distance quite a bit.

Its been along time since we started this Thread and I believe you Guys have turned it into an exact science! Well done!! I just wish I still had a place to put forth all this knowledge. Keep it up! Jeff
thumbup.gif

Well, Tripod stood me up once again, a no-show.

I put out the new alarm yesterday evening, so now have three at the site. At 8:00 PM the alarm sounded. I was sitting at the shooting table at the time, so was within seconds of taking a look. Nothing was there. Again around 6:30 AM this morning another alarm. I got out of bed and checked, still nothing, and no trail camera videos. I suspect I may have the new alarm too close to the ground and getting false alarms.

The instructions that come with the units says to place the alarm at east 3' off the ground, but I figured that is for automobiles. I don't want even a possum to get by, but his last one may be mounted a bit too low. I'll have to experiment a bit.

The temp was 28 degrees when I got home at 8:45 AM this morning. Not sure if it got colder during the night or not, but we did have a big frost on the ground this morning. The cabin remained comfortable, even the floor was not bad, and I slept like a baby, warm and cozy all night. I set the heater on low and the thermostat kept the chill out of the room, just enough for good sleeping temp. I think the underpinning helped a lot. I sleep in my underwear bottoms only, even at the cabin, and the room and floor was not bad when I got out of bed, so that is a good testament to the insulation and underpinning.

As to Tripod, that is one crazy critter. She must travel a lot here and there. She is the only coyote I have seen since I took Blondie near the end of August. Difficult hunting is an understatement. The purist, expert coyote callers on the forums who look down on us for baiting, are really so ignorant and uneducated about the subject. I'd like to see them have but one coyote to hunt. Having good bait available daily means nothing to this coyote. Tripod has already achieved trophy status in my mind. "IF" I ever get her, I think I'll have her garment tanned, or maybe even a nice trooper hat made from her. She deserves proper recognition and remembrance.

Tripod

Tripod1.jpg

Here is sensor #2 that I have been using for a while. It has been working well.

Sensor2.jpg

Sensor #3 that I added just yesterday evening. I think I may have this one too low to the
ground, will experiment. I rarely have a false alarm at night.

Sensor3.jpg

Jeff, I'm not far from being in your situation, with no where to hunt without a lot of driving
and gas expense. I'm confined to the farm now since all company-owned land around here
is posted and for lease only. While I do enjoy baiting, I also really miss calling like I once did.

David, do you have an estimate on battery life of the transmitter, mine is out at the bait site also but the receiver is only on when I'm there.

DannyK, my experience has been that the transmitter battery will last up to three months, or maybe longer in warm weather. Back in the summer I let it go three months and it was still working. I generally change it out after a couple of months now, just to make sure it performs well for me when hunting. I leave the battery in the transmitter all the time since it's a bit more involved to unscrew the back and remove the battery, plus possibly losing the small screws. In this cold weather, I will probably change the battery at least every two months.

The receiver batteries have lasted me pretty good too, but generally eat up batteries faster if left in, and from my understanding from DoubleUp. I get around that by only having them installed when I'm actually hunting. That way, they last a long time.

Finally have yote pictures close to the bait site, rifle deer season opens on the 15th, of this month for 15 days so no hunting yotes after friday of this week, DNR rules say no guns in the woods from the 10th to the 14th.

Back