Baiting

I've read in here somewhere people complaining about buckets rolling away ........... most kitty litter comes in rectangular and/or square buckets now ........... find a friend with a cat and ask for the empties .......... they are also great for conibear traps as cubbies ............. also I'm pretty sure Ice Cream places like DQ get their toppings in square 4 gallon pails

My baiting payed off
Dansbear002.jpg

That's great Ron. That one seems to have a touch of black or gray on it.

Is that your new .22 mag in the photo?

The one that has come to my bait site the last two times, is a female and has some dark on it. I'm staying at the cabin tonight in hopes of a return visit.

Good luck tonight David. I have seen a pile of dead critters on the interstate this week since the full moon hit along with this front. Several big bucks, some does, a bear, some red foxes, coons, and a coyote all in a few days time. That was just to and from work. Will the full moon affect your NV setup and recording with the extra light?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That's great Ron. That one seems to have a touch of black or gray on it.

Is that your new .22 mag in the photo?

The one that has come to my bait site the last two times, is a female and has some dark on it. I'm staying at the cabin tonight in hopes of a return visit.

Yes, that my new Savage 22 mag. Thanks and good luck tonight!

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYGood luck tonight David. I have seen a pile of dead critters on the interstate this week since the full moon hit along with this front. Several big bucks, some does, a bear, some red foxes, coons, and a coyote all in a few days time. That was just to and from work. Will the full moon affect your NV setup and recording with the extra light?

That's a lot of critters to see in just a few days.

As to the full moon affecting the night vision, it won't. If the moon is bright, it will add to the illumination.

Right now I don't have a cut-out in the window door for my video camera, so will rely on the trail camera to video the event for me - "IF" I'm lucky the coyote shows. This one is really difficult to hunt since it comes one night, and is then gone until who knows when.

This coming weekend will be the first time out after yotes, been rainy and windy steady here, saturday the sun finally comes out.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Thanks everyone. I may not get a lot of coyotes, but the ones I do are exciting and hard-earned.

DannyK, nice photos. If that black will continue visiting, you just may fill your bear tag this year. Too bad you can't hunt the wolf.

Corey, the cabin is indeed a work in progress. I've done a little here and there, and still have more yet to do. It's coming along, however. I have borrowed some ideas from other members on this forum that have been a real benefit.

Here is the latest upgrade to the cabin, completed just within the last week.

I built doors that completely cover the window. They are sealed up with weather stripping
and have a nice fit. That will keep cold air out as well as not allow light from inside the cabin
being seen on the outside.

01-30.jpg

This foam idea was borrowed from DannyK.

02-31.jpg

I can open one side or both.

03-27.jpg

04-20.jpg

The 60 yard bait site can be seen here - the mowed area.

05-17.jpg

View from outside the building of foam cut-out for rifle forearm and scope extension to go through.

08-6.jpg

09-4.jpg

The overhead lights inside the cabin are on, but no light can be seen from the outside.

11-2.jpg

12-4.jpg

6mm06 - this is really a nice setup! this is the first I have seen this post. I hope you have great luck in all that comfort!
smile.gif

Thanks guys. It's been a work-in-progress as well as a learning process. As I mentioned earlier, I don't take a lot of coyotes, simply because we don't have a lot of them. I have taken three since March. But, it's a lot of enjoyment just staying down there. Getting a coyote is icing on the cake.

I have just recently put the finishing touches to it - underpinned it to keep the cold air out from underneath the floor. The only thing left to do is maybe extend the porch a bit and put a small roof over it.

I stay at the cabin (hobo shack as I sometimes call it), generally at least one night each week, and sometimes more. I definitely stay once a coyote hits the bait. Last week the temps got down into the 30's, but the propane heater dialed down low knocked the chill off the room, and the sleeping bag was very warm and comfortable, not to mention lying on a 2" thick memory foam mattress. The building is well insulated and small, so the 10,000 BTU heater really heats it up in a hurry.

I'm looking forward to winter and being there when the snow comes down. Maybe the coyotes will come around more often once food becomes more scarce.

The Driveway Patrol sensor works great. When it goes off at night, you can bet the farm that something is on the bait. I use an ear bud connected to the receiver while I sleep.

Speaking of sensor, I recently purchased another Driveway Patrol to use in conjunction with the original one, to cover a broader area so that nothing can escape without me being notified. The good news is that the new transmitter works on the same frequency as the old one, so now both transmitters will send a signal to the receiver back in the cabin.

Here are some photos I took this morning.

Back side of cabin

01-32.jpg

Notice the cut grass and the strip of tall grass to the front of the cabin. That is my bait
site area, uphill just a bit from the small tree.

02-34.jpg

03-28.jpg

I posted these photos earlier in the baiting section, but they are several pages back. As a reminder of how I did the building, I will post them again just in case anyone might be thinking about something similar. It's good to share and help others with ideas.

Several members on here have given me good ideas for this project and I appreciate them. DannyK's window foam is just what I needed to get the rifle / scope out of the cabin, yet maintain warmth inside. DoubleUp's Driveway Patrol advice and modification works like a charm, much better than higher-priced alarms I tried in the past.

I purchased an 8x12 ready-made storage building for the cabin. In hindsight, I would have got larger.

As well, I got a special window, larger than was normal for the storage building. The window slides from side-to-side rather than up and down.

First, a friend and I constructed a 12x12 foot platform for the cabin to rest on. The cabin was then delivered and slid off onto the platform. I then anchored it to the platform.

03-7.jpg

04-5.jpg

06-2.jpg

07-2.jpg

No David it a Fisher

The Fisher Cat is a North American marten, which is a medium sized mustelid cat. The Fisher cat has a slender body that is quite agile in trees, allowing it to pursue its prey more efficiently. Despite the fact that this cat is called the Fisher Cat, it seldom does any fishing or eats any fish at all.

The name Fisher Cat likely originates from the French word "fichet", which originally referred to the pelt and fur coat of a European polecat.

In some regions the Fisher Cat is known as pekan, which is derived from the original name in the Abenaki language.

The Fisher Cat is commonly found in the Sierra Nevada in California through to the Appalachian Mountains in West Virginia and north to New England, where it is commonly referred to as the Fisher Cat, and not just 'Fisher', in other parts of the country. The Fisher Cat is also found throughout the southern end of Alaska and throughout Canada.

Fisher Cats also thrive in the Rocky Mountains. They thrive in coniferous areas or mixed forests that provide continuous canopy cover.

Adult Fisher Cats usually weigh in between two and seven kilograms (four to 15 pounds) and are between 29 and 47 inches in length. The male Fisher Cat are usually twice the size of the females. - the smallest female has been recorded at 3.1 pounds and the largest male recorded at nearly 20 pounds.

Fisher Cats have a dark brown coat with black tail and legs. Some of them have a cream colored patch on their chest. Their feet feature five toes on each foot with retractable claws and can rotate their back feet 180 degrees allowing them to grasp onto the limbs of trees and climb down head first.

The Fisher Cat is notable for one of their calls which sounds like a child screaming, however there is little evidence that their call is like that. There have been many witnesses that note that the Fisher Cat call does sound like a scream, and that they may use the call to communicate and call to each other in the forest.

Fisher Cats are sole hunters, only getting together for mating purposes. They feed primarily on small herbivores and omnivores such as shrews, squirrels, porcupines and mice. Fisher Cats are the only predator that hunts and eats porcupines and they do so by biting its face repeatedly until it bleeds to death, rolling it over and eating from the belly.

Female Fisher Cats breed at one year old - the breeding season starts in late February and lasts through until late April. The gestation period is one year long because of a 10-month delay in the implanting of the blastocyst phase of the embryo.

Fisher Cats are shy and secretive and have proven difficult to breed in zoos. They hide deep within wooded areas but their population declined due to the loss of suitable habitat in forests for them. The breed was introduced to North America again in hopes of controlling porcupines. There have been some reported attacks by Fisher Cats on domestic cats, however none have been ultimately proven. The attacks are documented but zoologists have noted that bob cats, coyotes and dogs are much more likely to hunt and kill domestic cats and even chickens.

The Fisher Cat is wide spread through North America and are a beautiful animal that is shy, secretive and does a lot to help control the population of porcupines throughout the country.

Back