Baiting

Man 6mm06 that is one top notch HUNTING shack would love to have a few of them here in Mi where some of my bait sites are !!!! On your guys bait sites has any one used different sents or lures for coyotes to bring them in ? Like sents for different seasons ? I have thought about using them and before I spend the money for sents that are for the summer or winter and mating season ??? Was wondering if any one has tried them .

Dannyk I see you are from Marquette Mi I have a house and 40 acres in Chatham and was thinking about coming up this march to do some predator hunting around Chatham do you have any in site about the area ????? Any help that you can give would be appreciated !!!!!!! My wife's uncles has some property in bearga county that they deer hunt and last two or three years has been bear hunting to and I mite hit up thier hunting camp .

Originally Posted By: aberry223Dannyk I see you are from Marquette Mi I have a house and 40 acres in Chatham and was thinking about coming up this march to do some predator hunting around Chatham do you have any in site about the area ????? Any help that you can give would be appreciated !!!!!!! My wife's uncles has some property in bearga county that they deer hunt and last two or three years has been bear hunting to and I mite hit up thier hunting camp .

Actually I'm from Gwinn, spent some of my youth working on my uncles dairy farm on the slapneck creek between chatham and eben, have relatives in the trenary, chatham, eben area.

Aberry223,

I personally have not used any scents, only bait. However, I have been thinking about the same thing, wondering if there might be something I could use that would lure coyotes to the site. I too will be interested in hearing if anyone has found something that works.

Centurion,

Funny you should mention Pete Rickard.

Is there a specific lure you recommend to get the coyotes to come to the bait site?

I have an old Pete Rickard trapping supply catalog from 1967. It is addressed to me (when I was a boy).
I used to trap a bit and ordered this catalog. As you can see, I still have it. It's in mint condition,
practically untouched. I kept it all these years and finally framed it.

PeteRickard3.jpg

PeteRickard1.jpg

PeteRickard4.jpg

PeteRickard2.jpg

That's pretty neat! I haven't used the lures since I stopped trapping when the bottom went out of the market, so I don't know about the new lures. Any they have for coyotes should work. They have great stuff. I went up to their farm years ago and did my shopping in person. It was a good experience. I talked to his son, who was running the business. I got to check the place out. They had cages with the different animals in they had lures for, where they collected urine. They used to have a buck lure, I believe it was called "Doe in Heat" that would bring the bucks running. That's what I always used still hunting for deer with my bow. Your post makes me wish I had kept my old catalogs. I still have one or two old trapping books, but the rest have disappeared through the years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Aberry223,

I personally have not used any scents, only bait. However, I have been thinking about the same thing, wondering if there might be something I could use that would lure coyotes to the site. I too will be interested in hearing if anyone has found something that works.

I put some of OGormans long distance call lure (LDC) in a tree 3' above my bait this summer. Because of flies I swiched from meat to dried dog food at my bait site. Sence then I have shot 3 but missed many more oppertunities as I have been away allot this summer.

Hay thier scalloper thanks I have been looking at www.fntpost.com and they have a ton of sents and lure . They have some that is seasonal you know some that are between October to december and some that work from January to march for the breading season .? And for me I just won't to try but don't won't to mess up my hunting !

Originally Posted By: aberry223Hay thier scalloper thanks I have been looking at www.fntpost.com and they have a ton of sents and lure . They have some that is seasonal you know some that are between October to december and some that work from January to march for the breading season .? And for me I just won't to try but don't won't to mess up my hunting !

The guys at FNT are great. Give them a call and tell them what you are doing I bet they will know whats best. I just used LDC because I already had it. LDC is very strong in skunk essance.

Ok I have a question has any one ever baited put the LDC lure on a bait pail and the come back a few day latter and try to call with a e caller ?

I have two old truck tires up on our farm I use for baiting ........ basically I line the inside of the tire with duck and goose carcasses from duck season ........... putting them in the inside of the tire makes them work for em a bit and even more so with a bait bucket in the middle ............ towards the end of trapping season or if i know i can't hunt it I will put a foothold right in the middle of the tire ............

Originally Posted By: jkrugerI also use Moyle for tanning my coyotes. They do a fantastic job , and i've always been happy with there work.
Yeh this one would have been a beauty on a board , i would have gotten mange too!!!

Moyle is the best ............. I use them too

Back