6x45 Load data

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, Those vmax 65gr shot great. Can cover 5 with a dime at 100. The 55gr vmax for the 22/250 shot better. A quarter will touch 5 at 255 yds. Thanks again for all the help and hard work. Has the pkg from Midway arrived yet???

First post on the forum, this place has been a huge help with my first 6x45. I figured I'd share a few loads to add to the database in return for the info I gathered from here.

All of the loads below were fired from a 24" Blackhole Weaponry 1/9 twist barrel. Velocities are recorded with the chrono at 15ft. These loads were well within safe pressures in my gun, yours may be different.

87gr Hornady BTHP
26gr IMR 8208
LC '05 brass
CCI BR4 Primer
COAL: 2.345"
VEL: 2821

87gr Hornady BTHP
26gr H-4895
Lapua Brass
CCI BR4 primer
VEL: 2814

87gr Berger VLD
26gr IMR 8208
Lapua Brass
CCI BR4
COAL: 2.42" (.002" from lands)
VEL: 2847

70gr Speer TNT
26gr IMR 8208
LC Brass
Rem 7 1/2 primer
COAL: 2.26"
VEL: 2816 (E/S a little too high for me at 60, speed not there but .8" 5 shot groups repeatably @100yds)

70r Speer TNT (HbN coated)
26gr IMR 8208
LC Brass
Rem 7 1/2 primer
VEL: 2911

**Disclaimer on the Hornady 87gr BTHP/IMR8208 load. I took it out to 400 this weekend to confirm the drop and I think my chrono is reading low. By all means it should have taken 7MOA to hit dead on at 400, my correction was 6.4MOA. That puts the speed closer to 2925, 104fps faster than recorded. The wind drift was matching spot on as calculated by both JBM and Shooter using real-time environmental data as well.**

Last edited:
I pushed the 70 Gr Speer TNT upto 27 gr of 8208XBR. Its rather compressed and listed as MAX on hodgdon.com, but shot safely and accurately out of the 20" 6X45...

I finally have a couple pounds of CFE-223. If this snow/rain will let up a bit, I will pressure test a few loads.
John

Looking forward to the results.
I tried the CFE223 with 55gr Nosler SHOTS bullets and speeds were lower than the speed of AA2015 and XTerminator so from my limited testing it does not start to shine until you get to 70gr bullets in the 6X45mm.

Here is the load I settled on for now with my Cooper.

70gr Nosler BT
29.7gr CFE223
Lapua brass
Remington 7 1/2
AOL @ 2.415
velocity @ 3120fps ES 21 SD 7

My 18inch DTech AR load with the 55gr Nosler SHOT bullets. I got this from John's data working with the XTerminator powder.

55gr Nosler SHOT(Kangaroo bullets)
28.0gr XTerminator
LC brass
CCI450 primer
OAL 2.150
velocity@ 3189fps ES 22 SD 6

I'm going to have to try that SHOT load. Between a buddy and I we are sitting on 3k of them. I will have to go get some powder. Hows the accuracy?

I found sub MOA accuracy with both XTerminator and AA2015 with a slight advantage to AA2015. I went with the XTerminator to get the extra 150fps. My 6mmDTi really likes them with AA2015 powder as well and it runs them at 3600fps with my fireforming load. These bullets are not benchrest quality but if your gun likes them they should do fine although with their blunt shape they are not the best for longer range out past 300 yard or so. Thats why I decided to use all the ones I have (2 thousand) in the short barreled AR for now anyway. I killed quite a few coyotes with that bullet last year.

2012-05-20_19-17-26_216.jpg

I am thinking about building a 6x45 on a Savage action with a Shilen barrel and was wondering if anyone had real life experience/recommendations for the twist. I am planning on using the barrel mainly for varmint and occasionally larger game. I would like to shoot 70 to 80 grain varmint bullets the majority of the time, but would like to be able to shoot 85 to 90 grain bullet as well. My 243 really likes Hornady 87 grain V-max’s and some crossover would be nice. I am leaning towards a 1 in 10”, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you want to go above 85gr then definitely get the 1/10 twist. The 1 in 12 will handle 80's I know because I have shot quite a few thru two of them.

This is about the best source for 6x45 data that I have found, and thank you for putting it out there. Does anyone have a "preferred" accuracy load for the 75 and 80 grainers? I used to be crazy about velocity, but these days I am more interested in hitting what I am shooting at, even if it is a little slower on impact.

I had really good luck with Varget and 85 grain gamekings as far as accuracy, never chrono'd it but I would expect low velocity. Mt pet load is 70 g. Matchkings with 25 grains of AA2015 @ 2750 fps from my 16" AR carbine. It is extremely accurate, but is a hot load so work up! Friends and I have had great success with this load in three different BHW barrels.

I fired 80 rounds of CFE223 with 2 types of bullets (Barnes 62gr varmit grendades and Nosler 80gr Ballistic Tips).

decent results with a couple of charges, I will post them up later in the week.

BB

Hello everyone.
Thanks for the wealth of information. I am starting a 6x45 build with a CZ 527 M1 American black syn stock as the donor. It will be rebored and eventually restocked (if possible) with a Cuda style stock.
This rifle comes with a 22" barrel. I will be using the 65 gr Hornady v-max for yotes and Speer 85 gr SPBT for deer. I have two questions:
1. Should I stay with the 22" bbl or shorten it to 20" (preferred).
2. What twist should I get? I am not planning on going with larger pills. I am wondering what effect shortening will have on the possible twist rate.

I want a light quick handling rifle (MN woods can be quite thick) that can also cover a short field on the edge of the woods. I am not a big fan of recoil or weight.

Thanks.

I see very little data using the AA 2230 powder. Is there a particular reason for that or no one simply has played with powder much? Any opinions on this powder? I use it for my 233 rifles.

Once I have my CZ build (above) done, I am hoping to get more info on it - with everyone here's help, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back