Baiting

My beeper went off at 9:30pm last night and when I turned on the 250 Kill Light this male was eating some dog food. Thats # 15 this year.
0726120648a95315916.jpg

Good going there scalloper. Congrats on #15. Keep those Maine coyote pictures coming as it helps keep us out of the summer doldrums mentally.

Nice going Scalloper. You must have a lot of coyotes up your way.

It's rare for me to see one in the day time on the bait, but I have on occasion. It's been a month now since one last visited the bait. Hopefully things will improve when the cool temps of fall set in.

Me and my son put out 7 bear baits on July 30th. We can start baiting 1 month before the seson starts (Aug 27th). We put out 300 lbs of junior mints and charlston chews at each bait site. Usualy the baiting starts off very slow as its hot out and there is plenty of food around. But when we checked our baits on tuesday they were all empty. In the 20+ years of baiting this is by far the best I have seen this early. And as of last year, now in Maine we can harvest two bears, one hunting and one trapping YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That's great Scalloper.

Man, the bears didn't waste any time finding it.

I have a feeling you are in for some good hunting very soon.

Several years ago, a friend and I went to Alaska and got with a friend of his, for some black bear hunting. We didn't get a bear, but the place was chucked full of them. Seems the bear just didn't cooperate. They were feeding at night on Salmon and every day we found fresh fish that had been eaten the night before, along with black bear tracks - and grizzly tracks. That was something to see. I came home empty-handed of bear, but had a great time nonetheless.

Here's a grizzly track, with two .300 Win. Mag. cartridges lying in it.

GrizzlyTracks.jpg

Keep us posted how it goes with the bear.

Nice work fella's! My season opens Oct. 1st so I getting my act together. My biggest plus this year will be my nice warm and cozy hunting shed for when I sit on bait. No more weather worries! Getting too old to freeze my azz off. Oh yea, and a new 22 mag.

269AF772-F112-4499-9C92-800F5945A584-2654-000003A8425FF241.jpg

031EAD6D-7996-4D44-98C6-1AF56485CA86-2654-000003A8469069D3.jpg

RonManci, nice setup. You will be much more comfortable in your new shack. Wishing you well with that. Keep us posted.

I had a bit of success the other night. Just now getting around to posting it, waiting to upload the video to YouTube.

I have been watching this very skiddish, young female coyote for a while now and decided to go ahead and hunt her now rather than wait until winter. Generally I don't shoot coyotes in the summer months, but this year has been an exception.

The more I hunt at the bait site, the more I have come to realize it's just not as easy as I first thought it would be. Coyotes will sometimes come to the bait a night or two, then just disappear for a while. Sometimes they return within a week to ten days, sometimes it's been a month before one shows up. For that reason I decided to hunt now rather than wait for winter. The temps are nicer now and it's easier to stay in the cabin all night without the bitter cold.

This female has been so scared of the one IR light and camera, and never would warm up to them, despite numerous trips to the bait site. I waited at the cabin 6 out of 7 nights for her, hoping she would return to the bait. She finally did.

I was in bed resting well when the Driveway Patrol alerted me via earbud. The coyote appeared right at midnight. One shot and it hit the dirt at 60 yards.

The ATN Spartan 410 night vision scope has now accounted for three coyotes. It is working well with the aid of the small IR light. I'm loving the 75 gr. Sierra HPs out of the 6x45. All three bait site coyotes have hit the dirt and didn't take a step.

Here are some photos. The YouTube video is at the end.

This is the final resting place of this coyote.

01-29.jpg

You can see my cabin / hobo shack / hunting blind in the background

02-30.jpg

05-16.jpg

07-9.jpg

Heading back to the truck, parked at the barn. I ride the 4-wheeler when hunting and park
it behind the cabin to conceal it. The truck is parked probably 200 yards from the cabin by
the way the crow flies.

08-5.jpg

11-1.jpg

YouTube Video of my setup. The first coyote is one I took back in March. The one I got a
few nights ago is at the end of the video

Originally Posted By: RonManciNice work fella's! My season opens Oct. 1st so I getting my act together. My biggest plus this year will be my nice warm and cozy hunting shed for when I sit on bait. No more weather worries! Getting too old to freeze my azz off. Oh yea, and a new 22 mag.

269AF772-F112-4499-9C92-800F5945A584-2654-000003A8425FF241.jpg

031EAD6D-7996-4D44-98C6-1AF56485CA86-2654-000003A8469069D3.jpg

Why not set up a wire less alarm and shoot from the up stairs window of the house? That would allow you to hunt 24/7

I enjoyed your clip 6MM and feel you are very fair to share your set up with people.
Getting the combination of items to work so well together is a credit to you not to mention the pressure you must be under when a shot presents itself.
A lot of people wouldn't have any idea of what you have done to get this to all work in unison getting those two results to a point that it could be perfectly executed and captured on camera film and trail camera footage.
Your dedication is second to none and where you live requires an extraordinary effort if you want to harvest a predator but you do it continually to perfection.

Loved the clip and pictures David. First class as always. Love the second angle from the trail camera too. Your shooting house has really evolved since the planning stages and you are finally getting rewarded. She has a nice looking mask on her, almost Husky like. It may be a good move to get the nervous ones out of there so they don't educate the others. That little Dtech has been a hammer for you on predators.

My baiting has improved some, I have a bear tag this year for late September. This one comes every day now, small one, hoping for a bigger one. Only wants the sweets, nothing to do with meat scraps etc. I have a second bait going also, and have so far got pictures of a bear, wolf, and coyote all at this same site.This morning I went and checked the 3rd camera and had a small bull moose.

September51.jpg

wolf.jpg

August28th3.jpg

Moose2.jpg

Moose1.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks everyone. I may not get a lot of coyotes, but the ones I do are exciting and hard-earned.

DannyK, nice photos. If that black will continue visiting, you just may fill your bear tag this year. Too bad you can't hunt the wolf.

Corey, the cabin is indeed a work in progress. I've done a little here and there, and still have more yet to do. It's coming along, however. I have borrowed some ideas from other members on this forum that have been a real benefit.

Here is the latest upgrade to the cabin, completed just within the last week.

I built doors that completely cover the window. They are sealed up with weather stripping
and have a nice fit. That will keep cold air out as well as not allow light from inside the cabin
being seen on the outside.

01-30.jpg

This foam idea was borrowed from DannyK.

02-31.jpg

I can open one side or both.

03-27.jpg

04-20.jpg

The 60 yard bait site can be seen here - the mowed area.

05-17.jpg

View from outside the building of foam cut-out for rifle forearm and scope extension to go through.

08-6.jpg

09-4.jpg

The overhead lights inside the cabin are on, but no light can be seen from the outside.

11-2.jpg

12-4.jpg

Here are some other views from inside the cabin.

My cabin is only an 8x12, but is plenty good enough. In hindsight, I would have purchased a larger one.

My bunk is an Intex Supreme air bed, complete with memory foam mattress. I'm using a
sleeping bag for warmer temps, but have another one rated to +20 degrees and another
at -15 degrees. The cabin also has propane heat - 10,000 BTU heater.

06-13.jpg

In order to conserve space, I mounted the propane cooking stove on the inside area of the door.

07-10.jpg

The cabin is wired for 12 volt DC. I have two overhead lights that are 2 watts each.
They really light the place up. The yellow battery pack in the corner powers the lights
and lasts a long time before needing a charge. It also has an inverter and allows me to
keep my air bed pumped up. It's a good little deal, available from Sportsman's Guide if
anyone is interested.

10-2.jpg

13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

You can see DoubleUp's modified Driveway Patrol hanging on the wall on the left. It is
attached to a headset. I have an in-line volume control so it won't pierce my ears when
the alarm sounds. When I sleep, I replace the headset with a single earbud.

15.jpg

The back wall still needs to be insulated and paneled. The building also needs to be underpinned.
I would like to extend the small porch a little and put a roof over it at some point down the road.

Since I don't have the land for calling that I once did, this setup keeps me in the game. I enjoy
staying at the cabin where it's peaceful and quiet, where I can lay back and be a real bum.
Taking a coyote now and then is just icing on the cake.

Back