Howa 1500 vs. Ruger American

EasternPredHunter

What do you like better and why? I was thinking about picking up a 1500 in .243, but I went to Legacy's website and didn't see the 1500 on there. Was it discontinued?

Where is Howa made?

Thanks

Last edited:
Howa is made in Japan.

Check out CDNN, they have some great prices right now.

For me, one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

Yep Howa is Japanese, they make Weatherby's Vangard also.
Go to:
www.grabagun.com
www.gungenie.com

Both have a bunch in-stock.
Personally I don't like the stock on the 'Merican at all. It is bigger than typical tupperware, but not much more rigid.
The Howa you can get a Hogue on. Those things weigh a ton, but are good stocks.
Al things relative I suppose, but if you are looking for a good shooting, inexpensive rifle; I'm VERY happy with my Marlin X7's.

I love mine. I can hold a sub 1 inch group at 200 yards.
and its awesome for the price. I got mine used for $625 shipped.

howa.jpg

Yes, but im holding off right now as i need a calling rifle as soon as possible.

After some more research, im not to sure I would be happy with either of these guns. I was gonna pick up a stevens 200, but i didnt think about the button rifled barrel. I heard that the button rifled barrels have inconsistent twist rates. Plus, i havent seen any long range shots with the stevens, and i dont want to be the first to try and find out I just bought a 100 yard only rifle
smile.gif

Not speaking for the S200 here. As button vs. cut rifleing I'd be willing to bet, if I gave you 2 rifles made up the same way 1 BR and 1 CR. You could not tell me which was which just by shooting them.

Neither could this chuck @ 568
YoungsRange5.jpg

Don't be scared of the stevens 200 barrel. It is a savage all the way and it will shoot just as well. I had a stevens 200 in 223 that I sold to my brother and it would hold 1/2 min 5 shot groups using hand loads. I had to keep the barrel cool but it would do it. I also have a savege 12 in 223 with a buttoned CBI barrel that is very accurate as well. Buttoned barrels are fine.

The Americans aren't out very long yet, and are available in limited calibers so far, but reviews are very good, they're American-made, and go for about $50 more than the Stevens/Savage, and about $200 less than the Howa's from what I've seen - Stevens/Savage Axis = $270 @ Walmart here; American =$325 online; Howa = $525 online from what I've seen. I believe the American price will come down a bit as there begins to be more in the pipeline. FWIW.

Original question was a Howa or an American.

Sorry, I do not own either so my opinion should matter little. But, have handled both at gun stores quite a few times. I would not mind owning either one, but had a better impression of the Howa than the American.

Mind you, I do own Stevens 200 rifles, a Savage Axis and a couple of the Marlin XL or XS rifles. Of these rifle, I prefer the Marlins. Why? For me the Marlins have been more accurate and certainly have a better trigger.

However, back to the original question, Howa or American? Buy the Ruger American and then give us a detailed report/review of it. LOL, I've monitored Ruger American threads on a number of gunsites and comments from American owners have been few and brief.

Back