Getting busted by Foxes while Bobcat hunting....

weever82

Bobcat season goes into full swing tomorrow and I am anticipating it very much so.

Last year I would do lots of calling into areas that are full of foxes and bobcats. The scat would literally be everywhere from both breeds.

My question is this.... everytime I would be dedicating a day to bobcats, foxes would always run into the calls and bust the stand. 90% of the time I would shoot them but wasn't really gunning for them..

If I have a fox run into a bobcat calling sequence and don't shoot at them... let them run off... am I busted or will bobcats still come in?

I swear foxes smell me a mile away. Those [beeep] things followed me all the way to TN one year hunting coyotes. I can't get away from them. lol.

Anyways, let me know what you think! Thanks guys.

Weev-

Last edited:
i heard when ppl are calling for mountain lion are letting everything go ,so i dnt think the foxes cand bust u out , and bobcats are not the smartests ones out there, they have a gooood sight not a great smell

Originally Posted By: weever82I guess that I am the only one that uses it or will at least admit it. We always used scent blockers when deer hunting and brought it over with me coyote hunting. I just spray a lil on my shoes and my clothes when I go to my first stand. Its cheap and makes me feel better. lol.
Weev-

Oh noooooo.....Say it ain't so.

Originally Posted By: weever82
I swear foxes smell me a mile away. Those [beeep] things followed me all the way to TN one year hunting coyotes. I can't get away from them. lol.
Weev-

lol.gif

i would say if you arent shooting and they just get iffy and leave, you could call longer and a cat would show. im not much of a cat hunter, being that we just dont have that many, but all the ones i have killed have showed up within 5 minutes of calling. ive read where it usually takes them longer than most other predators. so that tells you how much i know.lol

We called in over a dozen bobcats last season and ALL of them showed within the first ten minutes. The three that I killed were all under 90 seconds from starting the call. The first bobcat that I ever killed made so much noise coming in that I thought it was a cow! Haha!

Anyways Weever, don't shoot the foxes......save em' for me.

Don't worry about shooting foxes or yotes if you're bobcat hunting. I've shot AT bobcats and missed them many times, only to have them sit there for a second shot. Granted, I hunt mostly at night, but bobcats aren't the "sharpest pencils in the cup". Actually, rather than being stupid, I think bobcats are just plain fearless.

There has been lots of times that we'd have 6-7 grey fox around us, while we are focusing on calling a cat. The fox barking didn't seem to phase cat response. If you are in good cat and fox country, that's what you have to put up with, if you are holding out for a cat.

Tony

Back