KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

This FLIR T-50 thermal sure has been an instant game changer, it does not get much better than this!

Only had it three days now and already took out four night coyotes up to 225 yards with one shot each.

This dog took a Barnes 70 grain TSX through the shoulder @ 190 yards at 10PM right where I was aiming. He came in to Cotton Tail Duet.

The Eotech and 3X Magnifier is just perfect for this clip-on thermal.

T50%20Coyote%20NV.jpg

T50%20Coyotr%20Light.jpg

This was a particularly exciting hunt that had the adrenaline going strong for about 45 minutes.

I first called this dog in using Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster and he came right in about twenty feet from my Jack Attack decoy but I was on top of a ridge and all I could see was his head popping up in front of me about 60 feet in front of me. I had his head in my sight two or three times and then my wife walked up from behind me to tell me she was going shopping and he took off….he circled the dry prairie pond in front of me and went deep into the tall dog-fennels so I could not see him. He came out of the fennels trotting across my view twice but each time I held off waiting for him to stop for a lethal shot.

I called him back in again using Pup Distress and had a nice shot at him straight in front of me about 75 yards and squeezed the trigger slowly and CLICK -> no shell in the chamber. Chambered a round and he took off into the distant tree line.
scared.gif

I went back into the house to get my A-Alpha helmet and PVS-14 on and as soon as I walked off the carport I could see two distinct dark contrasted shapes out to my game cam about 250 yards. I slowly snuck down to my log stand setup and looked through the FLIR T-50 Thermal and saw two nice dogs @ 175 yards in front of me beside the game cam tree munching on some wild boar offal I had dumped there last weekend.

For some reason, one dog took off and went into the tree line and I lost him, but this one walked on over behind the game cam and stopped @ 185-190 yard behind my game cam (game cam tree is laser measured 175 yards), I put the crosshairs on him and he dropped. When he did, the other one came charging out of the woods and hightailed it across my view.

The whole hunt took about 45 minutes and I just wish I had the micro Digital Video Recorder hooked up to the thermal because I would have had some fantastic recording of this hunt.

Last edited:
Hey SkyPup. I just created an account on this board. Went out last night using my PVS-14 to scan with. I had been using pup distress but had it muted when I spotted a yote about 250 yards out trotting caddy cornered towards my left. I then, as fast as I could, attached my PVS to the rail with the quick mount and by the time I shouldered the AR and picked him back up he was stepping into a tree line and was out of sight so I wasn't quick enough...

I think it's time to get the helmet/mount and maybe an I2 unless Vic has a different IR laser he is recommending. Trying to switch over in the dark and rushing does not work out for me... He and Chip were great to deal with for sure! This time I won't have to send them a check...
thumbup.gif
these will be less expensive than my first order! Hopefully the helmets are in stock now.

Welcome to the Dark side shurshot,

I was thinking about putting a pvs14 on a shotgun with a ir lazer and micro aimpoint, I think that would be a cool set up for the thick stuff.

got a chance to get out this weekend and took 4 hogs and missed a coyote on the run, with the D760 & thermal, was hunting with the head game wardens son, that kid could shoot I watched him make a hit on a running hog at 250 yards with the D760 on my 243.

keep us posted on your hunts

Last edited:
Shurshot, great to see you here and nice story of the 'yote slipping away.

I had the same thing happen to me with a Bobcat last night, saw him with the FLIR PS-32 and by the time I put the FLIR T-50 Thermal on the rail in front of my Eotech he was in the tree line, I could still see him with the thermal but was a much more difficult shot to make so did not try.

A helmet mount is the best for total situational awareness (of course having a NV equipped friend there with you is double the amount of awareness too!)
thumbup1.gif

You will enjoy the helmet and laser setup and I am sure that Vic will put you right on target in the middle of the night!

I was in "Pup Distress" with a god awful kidney stone this past week, when I made it to the ER even IV morphine did not work, they had to give me Diluadid IV, fortunately the stone passed about the time I passed out....
scared.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to the boards shurshot. :)

While fast transitions mounts such as our TM-14 allow a very quick transition, at times as you've experienced either not fast enough or just plain clicky loud in the middle of the night.

Keeping your head up shooting at the high ready while using an IR laser down at the end of your gun is a VERY effective way to engage.

Any of the LDI Class 1 systems work very well out to 300 yards, but of course with smaller critters you're looking at the 150 yard range with the 14 on your melon. Of course guys like theImpactzone and Skypup seem to have Superman laser vision at times so take my conservative range estimates with a grain of salt coming from these two!
drool.gif

Vic

Originally Posted By: SkyPupShurshot, great to see you here and nice story of the 'yote slipping away.

I had the same thing happen to me with a Bobcat last night, saw him with the FLIR PS-32 and by the time I put the FLIR T-50 Thermal on the rail in front of my Eotech he was in the tree line, I could still see him with the thermal but was a much more difficult shot to make so did not try.

A helmet mount is the best for total situational awareness (of course having a NV equipped friend there with you is double the amount of awareness too!)
thumbup1.gif

You will enjoy the helmet and laser setup and I am sure that Vic will put you right on target in the middle of the night!

I was in "Pup Distress" with a god awful kidney stone this past week, when I made it to the ER even IV morphine did not work, they had to give me Diluadid IV, fortunately the stone passed about the time I passed out....
scared.gif

Ouoch, just saw this....Some say once you have one of these you know what child birth is all about.
scared.gif

Glad all has passed!

Vic

Skypup, sorry to hear that, should have had your wife record your pup disstress cries, LOL joking aside realy sorry to hear that but glad it,,,, passed,,, (sorry couldn't help myself)

watched & heard my brother pass one once, I fished it out and it looked like a pice of corral the size of BBB shot,
I looked at tha and told him to just shoot me

It must have been like what childbirth is all about but the size was considerably smaller....
blink.gif

Me rolling on the floor in the ER balled up in pain got their attention real good...what a relief to get over that ordeal.
tired.gif

Thanks for the welcome guys. I thought I may as well post a couple pics. I should have plenty of room at 12 o'clock for an LDI I2. I will be calling Vic tomorrow

This is a Colt LE6940 with a monolithic rail with the PVS and the 3x with quick disconnect and a Torch all from Vic. The Aimpoint CompM4s I moved from my other carbine to this one.

DSCF7158.jpg

DSCF7165.jpg

This is from where I sighted it in at 36 yards with the 1x Aimpoint while fighting the 7 1/2 lb single stage factory trigger. I will have a Geissele SSA Enhanced arriving in a couple of days and I hope to improve this group then. These shots were from a prone position using the grip pod and nothing else. Best 55 gr group was from HSM HPBT. I don't think I need more for yotes but this gun has a 1:7 twist so I can go heavier if I want.

DSCF7170.jpg

Of course I want to show my hunting transportation too.
thumbup.gif

DSCF7166.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupI was in "Pup Distress" with a god awful kidney stone this past week, when I made it to the ER even IV morphine did not work, they had to give me Diluadid IV, fortunately the stone passed about the time I passed out....
scared.gif

I know that had to hurt! I hope you are all better now and ready to shoot up some hogs and yotes!

Shurshot, I think your Colt LE6940 is going to give my SIG 556s a run for the money, it sure does look and shoot good!!!

Once we start doing some serious hog hunting later this fall, I may have to step up to the 7.62X51mm SIG 716 if the hogs seem to get away from my puny 70 grain Barnes handloads...

All I have for a hog would be my .243s. A Remington R-25 and a Savage Predator Model 10 bolt but we don't have any hogs to shoot up here... yet... and nobody wants them either!
smirk.gif

DSCF7173.jpg

DSCF7181.jpg

Once you get that PVS-14 helmet mounted, you can cruise around in your nice UTV at night completely stealth-like too!

It works pretty good once you get adjusted to the lack of depth perception, I drive around on my ATV at night with mine.

Shurshot, try some of the 60gr V-max out of your 223 great on coyotes, little hard on bobcat fur, I just picked up some reman from freedommunitions and they shoot great out of my 1-8 and will most likely shoot better than the 55 in your 1-7

got to love that R-25 thats my go to rig 58gr V-max at 3750fps for coyotes an just went to the Barnes Vor-tx 80gr TSX for hogs after seeing bullets recovered from Skypup, I put 3 under 1" @ 100 but yet to put in a hog yet, some times you dont get much of a shot on hogs and have to take what they offer

like the rig, trying to figure what next myself a 4x4rig like that or mor NV.

Colt recommends 55, 62 or 77 gr for that gun. I have several thousand rounds of ammo for it but it's all 55 gr stuff and I just ordered another 500 rounds from The Hunting Shack of the 55 gr HPBT. I have everything I need to start reloading new and still in the box and tons of brass. Just haven't set it up yet... I have reloaded thousands of 12 gauge because I shot trap for years but the rifle stuff hasn't made it out of the box yet. I have 500 85 gr TSX in .243 not loaded and another 500 bullets of Sierra Gameking 85 gr but noting heavier for the .223

I will have to pick up some heavier bullets and try it for sure. We have a state firing range not too far from me. My plan it to hit it later this week and put a few more hundred down the tube and shoot some longer distances. I have considered an Aimpoint 3x for daytime shooting. But I still need to buy a few other high dollar items first. Like a Helmet/mount, LDI I2 and a PS32... you know how that goes...
w00t.gif

Well I just ordered the LDI I2 from the TNVC website. Keep an eye out Vic!
grin.gif

I'm not sure which mount to get so I will likely call to place that order.

Shurshot, it comes with it's own integral rail mount designed into it.

Very nice unit and is best run on top rail over the bore.

DBAL%20I2%20Left.jpg

Back