Baiting

I see it now. You're probably only about 50 miles from 6mm06 as it looks on Google Earth. I was thinking I knew there was a lot of skunks in the DC area, but didn't know there was so many coyotes.
wink.gif

Looks like you've been knocking em dead. Pretty Work!

Hi guys have been reading all your posts and let me say THANKS for the in site to baiting I am from Mich new to the sport shot my first in early Jan . But the baiting thing is sooooo cool I have started baiting meat scraps . The thing that gets the most talk for me is the ( LIGHT SET UPS ) I have just gut the XLR 250 for night hunting and I would like to get more (info) on them .I thenk that you guys really have something here on baiting keep up the good work

Aberry223,

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you. Just join in with your experiences, questions etc. That's how we all learn, sharing and talking about it. I've learned a lot from the guys on here. Everyone always likes photos, so don't forget to post them.

I assume you shot your first coyote over bait? If you have a story behind it, please share it, as well as rifle, loads, bullet performance etc.

David

Here is an example of visibility of the infrared lights at the bait site. You can see
the difference between the amount of illumination provided by the trail camera
vs the camera and IR lights.

Yep, I use the Colonel often, but he keeps calling in those southern coyotes. Lol

Blusam, that one looks a lot like this one.
11-5-11.jpg

Welcome aberry223

6mm06 and I have discussed it, but neither one of us has tried one yet. The reviews on the Bushnell are pretty good.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Jeff, I think the new cameras must be able to see a higher wave length of light and probably operate at about 940 nm I'm guessing. My IR lights operate at 850 nm, which allows the red glow to be seen by the eye, even though there is no illumination cast upon the ground. The glow is very faint, but is still visible if up close and looking directly into them. Off to the side or at a distance you can't see them. If the new cameras operate well at the covert end of the light spectrum, then that will be great. I imagine soon we will begin to hear reviews about them.

Off topic a bit, but what I would like is for my Gen 1 night vision scope to be able to see well at 940 nm. That would provide stealth and be invisible. That way I could use IR lights at the bait site and coyotes could not see any illumination. However, to my understanding, the Gen 1's just don't see well with high frequencies. I am currently in the process of testing some IR military filters that I purchased. These are made specifically to cover the headlights of vehicles. These filters are glass and won't melt like some of the other filters do. If they work with my Gen 1 scope as I am hoping they will, it will be the cat's meow.

No my first coyote was not over bait called that one in it was between 2:00 and 4:00 pm sun was out for the time of year in Mi was out of season . She came down wind about 165 yeards out ya the 50 grains vmax by hornaday with .27 grains ya witch the story their is (I loaded the 50 grain as thoe it was the 55 grain v max at .27 instead 26.4 ) ya I think it was or is HOT ya that's a story .

Jeff, the filters are black and are glass. The military uses them to place over the headlights of vehicles.

This evening I put them to the test. I used an aircraft landing bulb set in a utility light, with the filters over that and taped in place. I rigged up a mount for the light and placed it on my scope.

The light illuminated ok up close, to probably 40 or 50 yards, but I was disappointed in that it did not throw the light further. I was really hoping for more, but I honestly think the issue is my scope. It's just not capable of seeing further without some really bright lights.

I still haven't found anything that will outperform those small IR lights I have been using.

I have been putting meat scrapes out and I am wondering now how should I do it? Do I just dump the meat on the ground ? Or have the scrapes in something like a pan or pale ? What's the best way in the summer ???????

If it's still alive I did not shoot it

I think most people just put them on the ground. I do both, putting some in a pan and some on the ground. When I get ready to start shooting, I'll scatter the bait out a bit so the coyote will have to spend more time at the baitsite. You can try it both ways and see what works best for you.

For me at least, bait is not always easy to come by, especially if you put out fresh bait every day or every other day. What I do is cut up pieces of scrap meat into small chunks, probably not over 2 inch chunks, and put only a few at the site. I generally put out maybe 5 to 6 chunks, maybe a few more sometimes, but that's all. The coyotes get used to coming to the bait and know a meal is usually there. They don't come every day, sometimes once a week or so, and other times they may come two or three nights in a row.

I generally check trail cameras and rebait every day since I live about one mile by road from my home to the farm. Generally something takes the bait whether it's crows, hawks, possums, skunks or coyotes. I try to always have bait at the site so that when a coyote does come, he has a meal. I generally rebait in late evening, trying to keep birds from getting it. Lately I've had problems with crows. In the past when I put out large portions of meat, seems that buzzards and hawks always found it and devoured it quickly. Even crows can eat up the bait in short order. So, I just use small chunks and keep it simple. That's just the way I do it now anyway.

When I first started bait a couple of years ago, I did put bait in a wooden make-shift pan. Now I just put it on the ground.

PICT0036-1.jpg

PICT0093.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

09.jpg

07-1.jpg

Back