Baiting

Why not kill them all
thumbup.gif
when you get the oppertunity?

what light are you using.??? My one pile is 255 yds from my shooting bench. A bit far for most lights. Been contemplating a 250 Kill Light. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Been putting up hay on my days off and have not got to pursue ole wiley as much as possible. Keep pouring it on them. You can't kill them all. I have been trying for years.

Scalloper, I killed 16 last winter, but shot them down pretty hard. I just want to let the pups get big enough to make it on their own which around here is late July usually.

Blusam, I have a 250 Kill Light. I don't think I could make a kill at 255 yds with mine. I did kill one at 145 yds with it last winter, but I've just had cataract surgery and can see a lot better now. Still I don't think I could see well enough to make out the body clearly to take that shot, but others may. I can see eyes out to probably 500 yds. I made many kills with the 250 out to 100 yds easily.

Why do you have your baitpile so far away for night shooting?

I usually don't shoot them in summer either, just a personal thing, and don't fault others who do.

I've had a couple coming to the bait sites fairly regular. The cameras caught yet another daytime
appearance recently. This coyote is very skinny-looking. You can see my shooting cabin in the
distance at 125 yards. The second close-up video is at the 60 yard site nearer to the cabin.

One of the coyotes has been very skiddish at the close site that
has the IR lights on that "airplane light" apparatus. It is always
cautious and notices them even though the lights are not illuminated.
I've got to get them used to the IR lights by fall so I can use the
night vision scope.

That is where I have been baiting for daytime shooting for a number of years. It has been a reliable producer over the years. I also have a dog lot in the back yard with 3 bird dogs. Their barking may spook the yotes when they come to feed at night if I move it closer. I may have to move it closer though and see what happens.

Understood Blusam. I hope it works out for you. I don't have night vision, but 6mm06 might be able to make some suggestions on possibly placing 12 volt powered IR lights close enough to your baitsite so that you can see to shoot. I don't think he would be comfortable making a shot of 255 yds at night with his NV scope, but he can give you more knowledge on that himself.

Is it possible that you could place a 120v spotlight about 100 yds from the baitsite? In other words do you have power that close to your baitsite. The spotlight I leave on at the back of my shop would allow me to make a shot 100 yds from it with just my regular scope. That might be another option.

One other thing, and there might be many who bait that feel differently, but a 100 yd shot at night gives a feeling more like shooting at 200 during the daytime. To me it is much more difficult at night. My long baitpile is 145 yds and at night it seems like a 300 yd shot for me.

Last edited:
That maybe a solution. They are comfortable coming to the Bone Pile in the night but a little cautious in the daylight anymore. Might be able to run some wire and hook up a light to shine on the Bone Pile.

coyotes020.jpg

I've read a lot of reports where coyotes get used to lights. DoubleUp certainly hasn't had any problems with his setup and has taken several. I've heard of guys back here shooting under street lights.

For my setup, I have to use something other than AC power since there is no electricity on the farm. The night vision scope is a lot of fun, even though it is only a Gen 1. With those IR lights I have been using, visibility is very bright and no problem at all.

The coyote the other night didn't like the lights. I'm hoping he will get used to them and feel certain he will.

I am like DoubleUP in that it seems night shooting seems so much further than it really is. With my night vision scope, I don't feel comfortable taking shots much over 125 yards. I have a bait site at 125 yards from the cabim, and an IR light mounted on a tall 4x4 post. It provides enough illumination to make a shot, but I would have to be more careful with getting the 5X crosshair on the target in just the right spot.

I keep searching and hoping for something with more stealth that will not have any visible light to the eye.

I like the idea of using a daytime scope and shooting at greater distances, but unless I have a good light source, that's out of the question. There is one scope in the UK that will fit a day time scope, a camera that sees through the scope. It has an IR source or you could use your own light source. Shooting is done via a small monitor attached to the scope that shows what the camera sees when looking through the scope. Price is about $900. While it's not cheap, it's about as affordable as I have found for use with a daytime scope. It is called the Nite Site NS-200.

Blusam, very nice pics on the coyotes. We like pics.

Right now I'm using a much brighter spotlight bulb than I did last winter. It will allow me to make a shot pretty easily to my back baitpile which is 145yds from my office window. It's not quite 100 yds from the light on my shop to the baitpile, but I could shoot a bit farther with this light. I think it is about a 120 watt spotlight bulb, but you could probably go with more wattage and increase the distance you could be away from you baitpile.

Here's a picture of one that visited the back baitpile last night.
HUNT0056.jpg

nice are you just putting bait in a pan I am working a lot of overtime away from home right now but a neighbor delivered a dead calf to the Bone Pile today. That should keep them coming while I am away

trailcam101.jpg

101_0655-1.jpg

Yes, I scatter some on the ground and put most of it in the pan. Sometimes they're a little skittish of the pan to begin with. I'm home so I don't have to rig up a self-feeder. Right now they aren't liking the dogfood as good as they did late last summer and fall. They do love fruit like pears, apples, watermelon, and table scraps.

Here is a picture of 4 of them eating dogfood from the pan and pears that were on my trees last summer.

MDGC0092.jpg

Blusam, I see you list your location as Rose Hill, VA. Is that the Rose Hill which is close to DC? It looks like a pretty populated area for you to have so many coyotes.
smile.gif

Very nice picture and they look like pretty good size too.

I saw two mousing in the wheat field behind my house late this afternoon, but they were about 600 yds, so I didn't attempt a shot. They'll get to the baitpile sooner or later.

Back