Baiting

That makes 11 coyotes sence X-Mas. 4 so far in April.
Just keep baiting the area all summer long. I move my bait pile away from the house when the flies start just to keep them checking the area, then when ever they are in the area they swing by for a bite or a bullet.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice going Scalloper.

A coyote continues to hit my site occasionally, but I've about decided to just keep him / her coming to the bait until next winter. I'm hoping to increase my opportunities by doing a little conditioning to the site this summer.

Hey David
I hope it's a female and it has pups,so you can have many more Targets

Thought you guys might be interested in this picture. We often hear about how coyotes don't respond to calling in the rain, and that may be true. However they do feed in the rain as you can see. This one was in a pouring rain in my backyard on Sat. night which was practically sunk and yet he was lying on the ground eating away.

HUNT0488.jpg

They obviously don't mind eating in the rain, therefore it is difficult for me to believe they wouldn't respond to a call in the rain. Thanks for posting!

May 21st ditto on that scenario 36# male. Waiting for a bigger one I have on camera. Picked up a road kill deer -- oh boy do they LOVE that. this is the second one I have used and in 2 days the yotes are on it. usually if I use something else like a dead calf they will not touch it for around 10 days. I think it needs to stink up for a while. Sorry no pics. I know that is important on this website. .270 with federal 115 gr. ballistic right behind the shoulder, just flopped him right over -- never moved. gotta love it.

Been baiting about 5 years. Picked it up in Texas. Call it my Bone Pile. Everything gets put in the Bone Pile. I believe that cows aren't eaten sometimes because they have been sick and medicated with various antibiotics. Just theory!!!! Deer and calves are the best in my part of the world. Bone Pile 255yds off back porch. Will try to post some various pics of coyotes. Have one pic of 2 feeding on persimmions that have fallen off. Just found this thread. Really very interesting.

thanks Looking forward to all the info I can glen from the participants here. Got a dead calf on the bone pile now. don't do as well in the summer as Feb and Mar. Going to try the dog food and the barrel as soon as I get the hay in the barn. Any one out there got any pics of this set up??

Welcome Blusam. There are a lot of nice guys on this forum that have tons of information about taking coyotes over bait. We all love photos, so be sure to post yours as well, and tell how you go about it.

This summer I am continuing to put bait out though I am not shooting them this time of year. I can legally shoot them year 'round but just choose to wait until the fall and winter months. I've had some activity at the bait recently, one is definitely a female that I suspect has pups.

Here are a few trail camera photos extracted from video. I have my cameras set to video, seems I get more of an idea of what's on the bait by using video.

125coyote.jpg

The coyote knows the lights are up there. Seems she always looks up
at them, even though they aren't turned on.

Lookatlights.jpg

c4.jpg

c3.jpg

c2.jpg

This one came during the day, very unusual. Time was abound 1:00 PM.

dayyote1.jpg

dayyote2.jpg

As to a barrel for dog food, DoubleUp may have some ideas on that one. There is one idea,
however that might work, and that is to use PVC such as in the photo below. DoubleUp
and I talked about this as a potential dog food dispenser. I got the idea off YouTube and
use it as a corn feeder. I initially cut the hole too large for corn, 1.5", and then redid it
with a 1" hole. I think for dog food you might want larger than a 1" hole, but might have
to experiment a little. I have added a cap to the top that keeps the water out. Just a thought.

02-16.jpg

I have been using dog food at my bait site just to keep the flies and smell down as it only 70yds from the house. Well I shot a male on the 21st then the 25th at 1am the beeper went off. I got up but nothing. It went off another 3 times before daylight but I could not get the coyote to stand for a good shot while using my 250 kill light. So on saterday night the beeper goes off at 11pm. I opened the window but just sat there not turning on the light. The beeper went off for about 3 min, then I thought the coyote would be setteled in for a good kill shot. So when I turned on the kill light I got a little surprise. A very large boar black bear. He did not have a care in the world. It did not even look at me while I had the light on. It was pritty cool. I watched it for another 5min then he walked off.

Originally Posted By: blusamare you just pouring it on the ground or using a feeder of some type???
I just spread it out on the ground. I also put some long distance coyote call lure on a tree about 4 feet high to get them in the area.

nice how far was he from the rifle??? going to put out some cat food tonight about 250 yds for me with no alarm yet been shooting them off the bone pile in the day light

Great work scalloper. I've let 3 or 4 opportunities go over the past couple of months. I could have killed one easily Monday night at 9:15 but I'm holding off right now until around the first of Aug.. This is probably the same one that was on the baitpile on Monday night back on Thursday night at 3:15. Of course I'd be happy if it was a different one, but I haven't had a picture with two in it at once since March.

HUNT0035.jpg

Back