casting bullets??

ccinso

Ive been reading up on and thinking about casting bullets.

I was wondering how many of you guys are doing it, and is it worth it?

From what Ive been reading it doesnt seem to reqire a huge investment but what are the items you would consider essential?

If you have a good source of lead, wheel weights, etc it is well worth it...if you like a hobby.

Like all hobbies, it takes an investment of time and money.

Accuracy is exceptional with cast pistol bullets, especially the flat base. For faster velocities, use a gas check bullet.

There are also some very good companies casting hard bullets out there, make no mistake about it.

Several years ago I had a friend that was a manager of a Goodyear store. I got all the wheel weights that I wanted. If I brought him an empty 5 gallon bucket he would give me one full to the top of used wheel weights. And let me tell you brother, 5 gallons of wheel weights is friggin heavy!! It was all I could do to get them to my car.

Anyway after years of casting and sizing .44 bullets, burning myself, and breathing in no telling how much crap from the smoke of my furnace I finally quit making them and started buying them ready made at gun shows. They were fun to shoot and accurate and sure did cut the cost down a great deal, but in my book not worth the bother for no more .44 shooting that I do anymore. I had to have Ruger rebarrel my old three screw Super Blackhawk several years ago and I don't plan on ever doing that again. .22 rimfires are still cheap, pretty quiet, and do a fine job taking down the biggest nastiest ground squirrels that I come across.

I do a little bit. I try to cast a bullet I can use in multiple applications. One of those is my 200 grn .452" 'tumble lube' bullet from a Lee mold. I have loaded this bullet in 45 acp, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, & my muzzle-loader, held in a plastic sabot. I also have molds for 38/357 & 44 cal.

I have a sizer for some but the tumble lube design reduces the need to resize.

I have a fair amount of lead I've scrounged over the years. I cast in the Summer out in the yard with a Lee electric pot. I thought about upgrading, but it's been working for me.

If you have a good source for either free (preferable) or cheap lead, it makes more sense to start casting. Cast bullets are very versatile for both handguns and rifles. Becoming a serious caster will require an investment - molds, a lubricator/sizer and dies for same, and a lead pot of some sort. You'll also need at least one ingot mold and a ladle.

There is a tremendous amount of disinformation/misinformation/old wives tales pertaining to bullet casting out there. I strongly recommend the Cast Boolits Forum to anyone who is interested in the subject. You will get accurate information there.

I cast bullets for my .357, .44 Mag and .45ACP. I just got a mould for my .45-70 and have started making bullets for that.

I do most of my casting in the spring when I can set up my stove outside before the bugs come out. I use a Coleman camp stove and plumbers pot for my lead. My neighbor and I make thousands at a time and in a few days we have enough bullets to last a few years. Just waiting for a nice day so I can cast some more.

Originally Posted By: Terry N.
There is a tremendous amount of disinformation/misinformation/old wives tales pertaining to bullet casting out there. I strongly recommend the Cast Boolits Forum to anyone who is interested in the subject. You will get accurate information there.

I would have to agree there. Plenty of gents over on the CB forum that are great to deal with and share plenty of information.

I do not cast myself but started swaging instead. A bit more expensive to start up but produces great projectiles.

Hit up some of your local tire stores as was mentioned before. Always nice to be able to get a good deal on lead. Just melt it down and pour it out.

it is strange that I saw this post today.
I just finished casting 113 7mm bullets and 25 45acp.
Cast bullets are your friend.

I've been casting bullets for 40 years. Shoot nothing else for pistol (38, 357, and 45 acp). Also rifle .30-06, 223, and .22-250. If you can scrounge lead (I got free wheel weights for 20 years) you can shoot for powder and primers! Think a box of .45 acp for $ 3.50 exclusive of brass and your time. I can load 50 .30-06 ( 160gr grs gas checked bullets) for just over $ 5.50. Bullet casting is fun, interesting, and saves $$$. Check out castboolits.com. Buy and study Lyman's loading Manual.
Shooting all day for $20 and having fun to boot makes bullet casting a great deal.

Back