Baiting

Here are some of my bait pile kills from the last two seasons. I killed everyone of these with the 22lr.

IMG-20110930-00502.jpg

IMG-20110930-00503.jpg

IMG-20110930-00506.jpg

IMG-20110930-00508.jpg

IMG-20111007-00560-1.jpg

IMG-20120216-01107.jpg

IMG-20120202-01014.jpg

IMG-20120201-01009.jpg

IMG-20120120-00981.jpg

IMG-20120119-00977.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpVery nice!! We love pics, lots of pics, thanks for sharing and congrats. How far is your baitpile from the house?

A little over 100 yards....

Depending on how my back feels, I'll either sit in my stand or on the ground. But I sit directly over or under my light so they can't see me. Then I'm only 40 yards away.

IMG-20120125-00999.jpg

IMG00229-20101017-1312.jpg

IMG00228-20101017-1312.jpg

IMG00227-20101017-1311.jpg

RonManci,

Nice setup and photos. Good looking area in the distance from your seat. It's really good to see how others go about it, equipment used etc. I'm like DoubleUp, I love photos; good for learning too.

That little .22 has really put some predators on the ground for you. The .22 rimfire is many times underrated by some. The little cartridge has been going strong for over a century and has accounted for numerous game animals and predators much larger than it's small size indicates. It's deadly in the hands of a good marksman.

What bullet / loads do you use in the .22?

Tells us about the lights you are using. Are they just normal flood lights? How do the coyotes and fox react to them?

Thanks for posting.

I only use the 40 grain CCI Velocitors. I turn the lights on the bait pile every night starting about two weeks before the season starts. It's just two 500 watt halogens mounted right to the tree. The coyotes will quickly get use to eating in the light. It also blinds them to me. They can look right at my stand but they cant see me because the lights are to bright.

Here is video for ya.

I finally had some action at the bait site last night. Problem is, the coyote was really spooked by the camera flash. Looks like I'll switch back to infrared.

There were fresh fish guts at the site, but he didn't touch them, just couldn't stand the camera. He first came to the site about an hour before these photos were taken (first photo was taken at 10:11 PM), so he apparently lingered around hoping for a meal, but ended up not risking it.

Coyote1-5.jpg

Coyote2-8.jpg

Coyote3-2.jpg

Coyote4-2.jpg

Coyote5-2.jpg

I've taken some very good coyote photos with that camera, but this coyote and the one I shot with the night vision outfit were very spooked by the flash. Given these last two incidences, I think I'll go back to IR. I love nice, color, night photos but it's better to have yotes at the site than scared out of their skins.

David, just use a brighter flash and skip the skinning process. Just find a "fur friendly" light
lol.gif
. Love those night shots. I need to get my camera back and set it on a suspect den I know about.

Originally Posted By: RonManciGreat job! where's that dogs tail?
Its folded under the coyote,thats the way it landed when I threw it on the truck.

FOX-vs-POSSUM

Here's a few pics of recent trailcam action..

I staked a dead tree-rat (that committed suicide by stepping into the sights of my Benjamin/Sheridan pellet rifle) to the death log near my house in hopes of catching a passing yote on camera.

Little stinky was not amuzed (or in the mood to share) when Mr Fox interrupted his meal...

Fox are not known as fighters and most times are afraid of their shadow, But I give it some slack in this case - possums are nasty critters- especially when they are in the middle of gorging on a fresh tree-rat..

POSSUM vs FOX

Anyone in Tampa Bay area that baits or is interested in starting? I just moved from Texas and can help. I can also bring in 3rd generation night vision, if that helps out in tempting someone to help a new hunter to get settled in the area.

Nice going Scalloper.

A coyote continues to hit my site occasionally, but I've about decided to just keep him / her coming to the bait until next winter. I'm hoping to increase my opportunities by doing a little conditioning to the site this summer.

Back