Baiting

Wish I thought of the antenna, would have been cheaper. I'm going to go back to the trail cam next year with the hope they get used to it. I have an old Moultrie and a Wildgame IR. I just put them back out, seasons closed but we'll see what is around now. Thanks for your help.

Whitebeard, for me at least, it's hard to say how far my sensor will pick up a target. There is a hillside going up from my bait site, so there is an angle involved. If you noticed in the coyote clip on page 67, the coyote, when shot, rolled down hill.

I have had the sensor pick up a possum that was above the bait, somewhere between 10-15 feet from the sensor. It probably will detect further, but the way the transmitter is set in relation to the ground and terrain can make a difference.

DoubleUp might have some information to add.

I have considered getting another Driveway Patol and setting the transmitter further up the hill. My hope would be to cover the area well and alert me when a coyote is near and maybe not necessarily right at the bait. Problem is that not all the units work on the same frequency, so it may be a hit or miss as to whether a new one would work with my current receiver. DoubleUP lucked up and got two that work in conjunction with each other.

Whitebeard, it really depends on the size of the object I think, and the angle at which the sensor is aimed too. I believe the sensor actually detects heat rather than motion, so the hotter something is the further it will pickup. Coyote size I think 40 to 50 feet. I've had mine pickup farm equipment at 50 to 100 yds.

Didn't take long. Got this last night. I guess once they're acclimated to an area they don't mind the flash. He hung around for several pictures. I'll post video once I get it loaded to youtube.
MDGC0018.jpg

Last edited:
Pmack, hey that didn't take long. Glad it worked out for you. Looking forward to the video.

RonManci, what brahd of baby monitor are you using and how much distance between the camera and monitor?

Last edited:

RonManci, that baby monitor sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about that if you don't mind.

Pmack, nice going already. I think you are right about coyotes getting used to the flash. They may jump at it when it goes off, but apparently they aren't too scared and go back to the bait.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Whitebeard, for me at least, it's hard to say how far my sensor will pick up a target. There is a hillside going up from my bait site, so there is an angle involved. If you noticed in the coyote clip on page 67, the coyote, when shot, rolled down hill.

I have had the sensor pick up a possum that was above the bait, somewhere between 10-15 feet from the sensor. It probably will detect further, but the way the transmitter is set in relation to the ground and terrain can make a difference.

DoubleUp might have some information to add.

I have considered getting another Driveway Patol and setting the transmitter further up the hill. My hope would be to cover the area well and alert me when a coyote is near and maybe not necessarily right at the bait. Problem is that not all the units work on the same frequency, so it may be a hit or miss as to whether a new one would work with my current receiver. DoubleUP lucked up and got two that work in conjunction with each other.

David contact the customer service of Drivewat Patrol and tell them what your Frequency is on yours and see if they will sell you one thats the same. Just a Thought!

That's a good idea, Jeff. Now I just need to figure what the frequency is on mine. Maybe I have the paperwork still or maybe it's on the unit itself. Of course, they may want to charge me a company, retail price. Just depends on how much as to whether it's worth it or not, but worth a try.

Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

Had a bit of bobcat action at the site recently. It was actually eating on a dead rat I trapped and threw out. Our season ended the last of February. I took a large cat last November and it's good to know that others are still in the area. I can't take him over bait, but maybe next season I can call him up.

RonManci and Pmack, thanks for the links.

At 4am my beeper went off again. There was another coyote at my bait. The 55gr V-Max ancored it within 2 feet of the dead coyote I shot at 2am today. What a night!
0404121337a95295335.jpg

Good going Scalloper. Stack 'em up and take some pics. We like pics!! Are you shooting a 223 or 22-250?

With a name like Scalloper, I thought you'd be out on the mighty blue by now catching up part of your quota for the year. I hope you have a good season on the scallops like you have the coyotes.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpGood going Scalloper. Stack 'em up and take some pics. We like pics!! Are you shooting a 223 or 22-250?

With a name like Scalloper, I thought you'd be out on the mighty blue by now catching up part of your quota for the year. I hope you have a good season on the scallops like you have the coyotes.
Rock River PP in .223
Now we have pictures
thumbup.gif

Back