Baiting

The ar and scope already has her thinking she needs a new car
scared.gif
..I will let her forget about it for a while..maybe I can find a used one from somebody on here that wants to upgrade to a gen 2 or 3 and get rid of the gen 1 for a decent price..im sure somebody will be dissapointed with a gen 1 and need something more!!

This is only the second time a coyote has visited my site since February 5. At least he's in the area and knows where the food is, so maybe I can keep him coming for a possible meeting sooner or later.

It has been a long dry spell since early December. I took this female #15 at 9:30 tonight with my 204 and 39g sierra blitzking at 90 yds. She was DRT.

Picture020-1.jpg

Hey Corey,

Did you notice that DoubleUp shot my coyote!? It traveled all the way to his place and he got it. LOL.

DoubleUp and I have been joking a bit about the coyote being at my place one night and his the next. They look so similar.

Nice going DoubleUP. That little .204 put the whammy on her.

They do look very similar. I think yours is still safe David. Yours has a very dark black chevron between the shoulders. Congrats Doubleup, that is a nice looking coyote. I like the black tipped tail.

Well, here's what happened with me last night. My alarm sounded about 10:45, but I never saw the coyote yet knew it was out there. I stayed up until 12:20 and went to bed and turned off the alarms figuring I would just get the pics from the cameras this morning and see if one showed back up during the night. I woke up about 6:30 and just had a hunch. You know that gut feeling. I came back into the office and looked out with the binoculars and didn't see anything. I didn't switch the alarm on but thought about it.

While I was sitting here looking out, I saw the flash go off on my old Moultrie which I had moved to my long baitsite. I looked back through the binos and saw the coyote there at the baitpile. By the time I got the window open and everything set to shoot, I didn't see the coyote. It moved on further to my right and was obscured by my shop building.

I just sat there for about 5 minutes looking with the binos and the rifle set to shoot. I saw the coyote coming from right to left at a slow but steady walk. It never stopped or changed the same pace as it was heading out of the wheat field and toward the woods. I put the crosshairs, I could see well at this time 6:45, on the coyotes shoulder and touched her off, thinking with her walking stride the bullet should take her in the boiler room. I didn't see her fall and didn't know for sure if I even hit her, but I knew I was rock solid and the rifle was ready.

After I ate breakfast and drank my coffee I went out to the wheat field and started walking about where I thought she should have been. Sure enough she was piled up and had never moved. I checked it with the rangefinder and she was 196 yds. There was no visible entry from 204 with the 39 sbk and no exit, but she sounded like jelly inside. Here are a couple of pics I took after I got her out. Very pretty light colored female as you can see. #16 for the season.

Picture037-1.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Last edited:

Nice going DoubleUp. That was a great shot at that distance. You're on a roll for sure, hopefully you will connect with the other one soon.

Yea, I will have a post hopefully tomorrow. Things picked up a bit here last night. Just need to get some footage uploaded into YouTube first.

The YouTube video clip is finally uploaded. It's only about 2 minutes, 45 seconds worth but hopefully interesting. Keep in mind that the night vision scope sees much clearer than this video indicates.

As most of you know, I have been trying to put the night vision equipment into use, manning the camera for footage, and shooting from my cabin to the bait site area. I have the infrared lights mounted in a walnut tree 60 yards from the cabin. Last night it all finally came together.

It was a great sense of satisfaction in getting all the components working as they should, from the night vision scope, the infrared lights, DannyK's suggestion of foam over the window for the rifle / scope to protrude through, and DoubleUp's modified driveway sensor, trail cameras catching the shot and all.

I had gone to bed and was sleeping quite well when DoubleUp's modified Driveway Alert notified me around 11:50 PM that something was on the bait. I had an earbud in one ear which allowed me to rest rather well and still be notified.

After getting up and situated at the shooting table, I turned the night vision scope on and could see an animal in the fringe area of the illumination, but couldn't determine if it was a coyote or a fox. It suddently disappeared but then reemerged up the hill from the bait - the downwind side. It was a coyote.

The coyote was very nervous and spooked easily at the camera flash. I have two cameras mounted on a post at the bait site. One is set to photos and the other to video. Both cameras caught the event, plus I had a Sony camera recording in the cabin which gave two different perspectives.

My digital camera (still camera) battery was dead when I needed it, so I later took some photos with my cell phone.

I skinned the coyote early this morning and now have it in the freezer. I plan to have this one tanned.

The first two photos were taken with my cell phone after I returned home. The 6x45 and 75 gr. Sierra HPs left a sizeable hole in the offside, but not so bad as to matter on the pelt.

Coyote01-1.jpg

Coyote02-1.jpg

Here is the coyote before he met his Waterloo, taken by the trail camera. Either the
camera's time is wrong or my sleepy eyes misread the time.

ShotCoyote1.jpg

ShotCoyote2.jpg

This project has been a lot of trial and error. One thing I have noticed from the video is that I need to arrange the lights so they cover a broader area. They illuminate well, but are too clustered and need to spread the light up the hillside more as well as outwards.

6mm06, great work my friend. You got it all, and did it all alone. That is quite a feat to accomplish to film and shoot, and have it all come together with night vision.

Pretty coyote too, and it won't be the last one I think.

Back