Baiting

What NV setup are you running now a ATN or Yukon and What Magnification is it? Also do you swap out between a regular scope and the NV setup for day hunts. looks like the NV setup would hold zero pretty good since its a 1 piece mount as long as it goes in the same Picitanny(sp) slot.

also when are they going to get a chat room on this forum..would make things alot easier I wouldnt mind putting in some donation to help with the cost

What NV setup are you running now a ATN or Yukon and What Magnification is it? Also do you swap out between a regular scope and the NV setup for day hunts. looks like the NV setup would hold zero pretty good since its a 1 piece mount as long as it goes in the same Picitanny(sp) slot.

also when are they going to get a chat room on this forum..would make things alot easier I wouldnt mind putting in some donation to help with the cost

David, the camera is a canon pro shot SX110is, it has a 10X optical zoom, for just a pocket camera it takes nice pictures, and runs on two AA batterys. I take it everywhere I go, same camera took the coyote pictures.

Jackal87, I'm using an ATN Spartan 410. It has a 5x magnification and good resolution for a Gen 1 scope. My way of thinking is the Spartan is probably as good a Gen 1 scope as you will find. If there's one better, I'd like certainly like to know more about it.

I have dedicated my 6x45 AR for night vision and have the scope mounted on it, so I don't change back and forth with a day-time scope. I have another AR that I use for a calling rifle. I feel it's better that way and I don't have to check zero each time.

Not sure if you saw the YouTube clip of the scope I use and infrared light setup. Just in case you didn't, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfRFiTeLQY&feature=youtu.be

DannyK, your camera certainly does a fine job.

Yea I was looking at a different NV scope must have been the 2.5x it was only around 400$ had me thinking for a minute. In the upper 500$ range might have to just by me a nice kill light
frown.gif

also nobody awnsered on the chat room question do we have one here or not I see posts about one but the links do not work.

Jackal87, I'm not familiar with a chat room if there is one available, but I haven't been here as long as lots of the members.

Welcome to the site by the way. At least here in the baiting section everybody really seems to be interested in helping each other develop the best technique for their particular location by sharing tips that worked and failed.

Sportsman's Guide has a great price on the Spartan 410, that's where I got mine ($539 to members) and a return policy second to none. If you don't like the scope for any reason, even if you mount it on your rifle, they will accept it back for a full refund. That's hard to beat and what led me to try the scope in the first place.

My opinion and for what it's worth, get as much magnification in a night vision scope as you can. You will regret it later if you get less. For the intended purpose of hunting over bait, you need to see the target well for a clean shot. A 2X or 3X just won't cut it at any real distance.

One other piece of information, and just for knowledge sake and sharing, I found yet another infrared light that I am in the process of testing.

This light has 140 LEDs, operates on 850 nm, is DC or AC adaptable, and pulls 18 watts. Last night I placed it in a tree at my shooting range, at a distance of 94 yards. I hooked up a small Cabela's gel cell battery, then tested the illumination with both the Spartan 410 scope and also my Sony camera. Man, that light is bright and is at least the eqivalent of three of the smaller lights I have been using, but I can see so well that it's esentially like having the 5 small I lights at my current site. Those have 48 LEDs each. One of these lights at a bait site will provide all the illumination a Gen 1 scope needs. The light shipped to my address was $44.00

One potential problem with the light is that it emitts a small, humming noise. Not sure if that will be of concern for a coyote or not. I guess I won't know until I test it. I have heard that coyotes adapt to lights etc., even street lights, so maybe the noise will not be a problem. Time will tell.

Just thought I would share more information for any of you who might be considering night vision and infrared lights for your bait site.

Here's the light.

Infrared1.jpg

Infrared2.jpg

Infrared4.jpg

Sat last night in the blind, to my suprise, coyotes howling, around 7:50 they started up and continues on for ten minutes. First howling I have heard since November. Nothing showed at the bait pile though.

Hey, that's a good-sized coyote. Nice going.

How did you take it, over bait? What gun and load did you use?

At least someone is having some success. It's been a dry spring here.

Question, I missed (please do not ask!!!) a coyote coming in to a carcass, early this morning. He took off at a run but not a flat out run but more of a confused what the heck just whizzed by me type of run. Will he return and about how long should I back off the bait if at all. The area is pole lines with a good population of coyotes.Thanks.

Are you sure you missed? Coyotes normally kick in the afterburners when you miss. If you didn't hit him, he may come back. I've had it happen recently and took about 2-3 weeks before he showed again. This one is really skittish now, but has bought another one back with him so I'm just letting them calm down some.

HUNT0040.jpg

Got a pic these last few days but he was just snooping around I guess since theres nothing but corn on the ground. Kinda odd since this is only about 75 yards from my dog house.

PRMS0097.jpg

PRMS0099.jpg

Think the neighbors about 100 yards though the woods would mind some distress calls
scared.gif

Last edited:
have been on our farm for almost a month-coyotes have been howling for the last month around 2000-2230, almost every nite, have seen hundreds of tracks lately, but, no coyotes, anyone have any idea how long the mating runs in indiana?

Daveisarmy,

I assume you are referring to the lights I have mentioned above.

I got the light from Ebay, from a place called Glorygood. It was up for bid and I got it for $44 shipped. I notice their new price is something like $99, way too high in my opinion. Other's are available from Hong Kong for a much cheaper price. The reason I purchaed from Glorygood is because it was shipped from New Mexico. I wouldn't pay $99 for one, however.

If you want some good infrared lights for your baitsite, the smaller ones I have been using are great, and they are quiet. The larger one above makes a humming noise. You can get 5 small lights (USA dealers) for around $50 or $60, and construct your own platform to mount them on.

I have been working on a new platform recently. Not sure how it might work out, but my thoughts are to hopefully disperse the light out a bit to a broader area and not have it so bright and condensed as with the ones I have been using.

Here are a couple of photos of the first light system I put together. These lights work great and have 48 LEDs and a photocell each.

InfraredlightfromEbay.jpg

Lights.jpg

This is the new arrangement, with the lights on the ends of the boards approximately 4 feet
apart. I'm hoping that will allow the light to cover a broader area. Won't know until I try it.
I mounted a light on each end of the boards and one in the center. The lights are adjustable
and can rotate completely to whatever position you want.

03-12.jpg

02-13.jpg

Back