Tough day of calling, Better Than ANY Day at Work...

getemclose

The season is sure winding down fast and its about time to hang up all the goodies and look forward to next October. Tons of new territory found, big plans, and new goals!.. Still a few hunts left to squeeze into this season before fur goes to crap.. Coyotes are paired up big time and it seems like ever time we have responders they come in two's fine by me! makes for some great video.. Anyways Saturday we snuck out to make a few sets, wind was supposed to pick up by noon like usual! Oh well, we've killed in it plenty of times..

The sun is sure rising allot earlier. This means the alarm goes off at 5:10 for me.. Up I jumped, in the shower, grab my gear, throw my boots on and Marty is already in my drive way sleeping in his truck.. In the pickup, quick swing into the grocery store! grab lunch and drinks. 5:55. Mcdonalds opens at six, hey why not! 5 sausage burritos and were off into Coyote Country
smile.gif
. We get up into our super secret coyote haven. The lights just creeping up and we spot a pair off the highway crossing a frozen pond bordered by heavy brush. They give us the "over the shoulder" but they keep slowly walking. Option a) go down the road, get in front of them and try to call them.. We decide to go b) ! a ranch pickup passes us and we quickly get behind him and as we pass the coyotes once again we pull into the ditch behind a hill and I grab my .243 and im off.. I use the hills to cover my approach and I soon crest the rise and the pair is now on the very opposite side of the frozen meadow. They are moving away from me and theres no way im ever getting closer. 420 Yards. I pick out the male, hold over and put him to sleep.. Cool.

az.jpg

We go up the road and spot an old piece of farm machinery that looks like a good vantage point to call from.. we hike it up there and set up to call. It took time but at minute 18 we ki-yi this male in and get him on video. It was funny, Marty whispered to me we should have a big male chargeing us at any point and I turn and say Marty here he comes! Too Funny.

azazazaz.jpg

After that the calling just cooled down! we hit two prime time spots with no takers.. after that we tried two more decent spots, still nothing! oh goodness this isnt supposed to happen!

We did a little exploring in some country further to the North. We found a promising stand and decided we would both tote our rifles. it was a spot that gets overlooked by most guys just cause its real flat and the cover is small. I set up in the wheatfield to martys west. five minutes in I have six dogs coming in but i see a huge problem they are going to crest a small rise where the pickup will be visible to them! dangit! One thing Marty has taught me is if I decided to try something to commit too it and dont hesitate.. I grab my rifle and sprint to the hill they are headed at. As I flop to my belly I have two come loping right to me. I woof and smoke the female. The males off in a flash and I narrowly missed him. Marty also had two on his side so we had 8 dogs out in front of us.

azaz.jpg

We had time for one more quick set but all we saw was candien honkers overhead.. darn dang darn!.. All I know is its been another amazing season and I owe all my knowledge to Marty he sure has showed me how to kill coyotes and lots of them.. I have so much confidence in myself cause of him its awsome tricking these critters and I cant wait to see how many more we can stack up in years to come.. Every years a blessing dont forget that..

azazaz.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up Mitch and way to go Marty. I wish I had some of that white stuff. I laugh when I look at your rifles, cuz mine looks the same way. I'm shooting a Tikka 22-250 my snow camo wrap is a nasty looking shade of brown and my bipod is worn out in every moving point, the threads are stripped out I'm was just trying to get through the season with it. Thanks for all the great stories fellas, hope there are many more to come.

Post some pics of those big walleyes when the time come.
smile.gif

the good thing about monday.. is hearing what you guys did on the weekend... but you only hunted one day...?

Good pics... but even better story...

My Hat is off to you Boys...

Where are you at and what is all that white stuff? We hunted in the snow one day here, so the white Gilly suets staid home all year.
glare.gif

Nice work Mitch. Yeah no kidding where did you find snow? As jetman said we haven't hardly had a lick of it out here this year. Coyotes around here are getting really ratty. Right now I'm basically just focusing on helping out several ranchers that have called. They have coyotes disturbing their cows while calving. Maybe 1 in 5 coyotes is worth skinning, sure fun and easy to call right now though.
smile.gif

First let me say, after 5 Sausage Burritos, I don't think it was the geese making all that noise..
tt2.gif

Great write up and pictures as usual..
Congrats on a great season, you guys certainly know how to get it done..

Jerry

shooting hundreds of coyotes a year- sweet

great stories, pics- awesome

" Super Secret Coyote Haven" - priceless
lol.gif
thanks Mitch that one made my day. Too funny.

Back