44mag for Black Bear

yotehunter6

I go black bear hunting next saturday, I was going to use a handgun but it has been giving me trouble and im not going to use it for bear if I dont trust it. My other 2 choices are a Marlin 30-30 or a Marlin 44mag. I was leaning twords the 30-30 but after sighting them in, my 44mag is running about a 3inch group at 50 yards with open sights plus it holds 10 rounds. I am planning on using the new Platnum+ 250 grain.
My shot will probably be less than 50 yards so I am very confident with this rifle. The 30-30 shot about a 6in group and I really dont have the time to try different ammo.
So what do you think? will I do ok with the 44mag.
Last year we chased a 400+ bear in the same area and I hope to get on that bear or one in the same size range.

i have shot bear with 22 lr to 300 win mag to 44 mag pistol do what feels good to you i shot most of mine out of a tree now people sit in trees to shoot them lol all you have to do is hit the right part always wanted to take one with a stick till it took it away from me he was in one tree and i was in another by the way a week ago a freind of mine was call in elk and a bull ran him over nastey bruises so what you do please be carelul best of huntin

The .44 Mag. will do a fine job, just keep your shots at a reasonable range and use a heavy bullet that will hold together. (Think of a handgun as a long range drill press) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just the way I do it,,,,, :rolleyes:

Back