Baiting

I went to the butcher shop one time with dads new ford pickup (f150).I asked for sraps and they loaded me up...in the bed of the truck, When they were doneit was level with the top of the bed lol....I didn't care but dad wasnt really enthused lol. He got over it though lol. Butcher shop is the way to go though for bait if you can. It mayopen upother areas to hunt foryou due to word of mouth.

I to think you should start out with a big pile of bait to get as much activity from preditors as well as birds to the area. I just started one on a lake and its getting pounded.I put out 1 55gal drum and 1/2 and in 3 days it was mostly gone. I watch coyotes carry stuff back to the woods steady. I have shot 6 coyotes and two cats so far but others I have let hunt when I could not, shot 1 coyote and missed 4 coyotes. I sit in a ice shack overlooking a bait pile on the lake. The baitpile and ice shack is .8 of a mile from my cabin so I can watch coyotes with binos from the cabin. Last night I sat until midnight but they did not show,it was very windy and I dont think that helped. In Maine we cannot hunt on sundays so I will give it a shot from midnight to about 8am. I bought another wireless alarm to use in the ice shack and there is a bunk in the shack so I can sleep,lightly,while hunting.Friday all of the bait was gone except a cow head,so I put out about 1 gal of dog food on friday night at 7pm. There were 8 sets of tracks coming and going on the new snow on saterday morning.

Originally Posted By: PickensWhen you guys put out dog food, is it wet or dry?
I have been putting out dry when I dont have scraps from the butcher shop.

Often in the past I have had trouble getting coyotes to come to a bait but when I know they are near by I will put some coyote urin on the bait,this is a confidence builder and many times will make a night and day difference.

another yote down! We finally got some snow yesterday and i knew they would be hungry, so after work i headed to my camp got there and immediatly saw tracks all around the bait (still light) grabbed the .243 loaded up and sat and waited a whole 3 min.... this female came running out at a whole 25 yds! put the hammer down on her! she did the spin and ran out of the field...she didnt make it far. was surprised [beeep] the .243 anchors most. then later that night my alarm went off i saw a animal on the bait but looked small like maybe a fox( it wasnt it was a yote and by the time i figured it was a yote he was gone, our fox season ended 2/29 so i hesitated) then later alarm again....this time i could clearly see it was a yote ....bang missed!!! couldnt belive it. next year i'm getting night vision! i'm heading back up tonight and possibly saturday night, our season ends the 8th.
photobucket-4104-1330697983063.jpg

photobucket-2785-1330698012228.jpg

2012-03-02_07-52-36_895.jpg

Deerslyr1,

Nice going on that coyote and thanks for the photos. That coyote seems to have quite a bit of black on his back, much like some we have here.

Do you have a night vision scope in mind? Just curious. If you get a Gen 1, you might want to consider those infrared lights like the ones I use. It's really a good setup.

I haven't seen a coyote on my bait site since February 5. They seem to have just disappeared.

well did it again last night....another small female came in. If i can keep this pace up the deer herd will be in good shape! too bad our season ends this week.
photobucket-5154-1330787786896.jpg

6mm06, if budget allows im goin gen 3 next year that way i can use it calling else wear not just at my bait ....but your idea is genenous...

Deerslyr1,

By all means if you can afford a Gen 3, go for it. I'd love to have one, but for now at least, I just can't afford it. On a budget, and used at a bait site, a Gen 1 and infrared lights are great.

I know a guy in Illinois who just recently purchased an ATN Mars 6. Neither of us had ever looked through a Gen 3, but he has had a Gen 2 in the past. We had a lot of discussion between us about night vision in general, with both of us wondering just how much of a difference a Gen 3 might be. His latest report was that it is so good even without an illuminator. He's very impressed. Now he has me to wanting one. LOL.

Anyway, I'll be very anxious to hear how it goes for you, and hope to see some yotes on the ground. Good luck.

Congrats deerslyr1, those are two nice dogs in your pics. I really like the blood trail pic, that gets the old ticker pumping like mad when you follow a trail with good blood.
Nice job.

Not a coyote but I got this picture on my snowshoe trail today. The coyotes are all around but refuse to come to the bait pile.
Weasel003.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Deerslyr1,

By all means if you can afford a Gen 3, go for it. I'd love to have one, but for now at least, I just can't afford it. On a budget, and used at a bait site, a Gen 1 and infrared lights are great.

I know a guy in Illinois who just recently purchased an ATN Mars 6. Neither of us had ever looked through a Gen 3, but he has had a Gen 2 in the past. We had a lot of discussion between us about night vision in general, with both of us wondering just how much of a difference a Gen 3 might be. His latest report was that it is so good even without an illuminator. He's very impressed. Now he has me to wanting one. LOL.

Anyway, I'll be very anxious to hear how it goes for you, and hope to see some yotes on the ground. Good luck.

If you go to sell your gen 1 scope let me know in a pm with the price ill would prob buy it if you dont want the same price as a new one
smile.gif

Jackal87, will do if ever I decide to sell it. But, I don't think that will happen any time soon, maybe never. LOL. Shelling out over $3,000 for a scope is hard to do, especially since the Gen 1 and the infrared lights serves my needs. Unless I begin to hunt as Deerslyr1 mentioned, calling and hunting here and there, then I really don't need a Gen 3 scope. The Gen 1 is more than adequate at a bait site with the infrared light system.

DannyK, that's a great photo. I like it. You were in the right place at the right time to get that one. What kind of camera did you use?

Back